Should I give up the M3 project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I give up the M3 project?

So this is where it started: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...w-to-me-e30-m3

Now, over 8 years later it's sitting in pieces in my back yard. Engine torn half down getting sadder and sadder every day. I'm moving to a new house soon and my wife keeps bugging me to do something with it. Honestly I'm not going to personally put this all back together. I'm way past that now.... I could take it to a shop to have it put back together but there is not one in Vegas that has shown real interest in doing it and I dont want to send it out of state. All the pieces are there to get it running again and probably 90% of the interior pieces are present. I have no idea what these are going for, especially in this condition with a salvage title. My plan was to rebuild the S52 and make it a nice driver since the salvage title does not win it any favors. I have not been that active here for a long time as I moved on to newer BMW's and then Porsches. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the E30 M3 but I need to be more realistic about my situation and what I'm prepared to do. Any comments, thoughts and suggestions would be very helpful!!!
    2013 X5D
    2012 Porsche Cayman R
    1988 BMW E30 M3 Build thread: M3 Build

What is your budget and free time for the year?

Its easier to dream than do.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Sell me your rear license plate filler?
      sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
      1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
      1991 318is - Sold
      1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

I’ve been looking for an M3 that’s not a mint car. In LA...
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Stating the obvious: If you sell, you will likely never find a cheap M3 again. But, if you take it to a shop for an engine build and reassembly of a project that was torn apart many moons ago, you’ll be left with a chunky bill.

I would say this:

-If you spend a bunch of money having a shop fix it up will you then enjoy the car, or would that further drive you to sell? If it would further drive you to sell, then sell now as you will have a better return than if you go all in trying to bring the car back.

It sounds like you were also feeling out the idea of selling the car in 2016, maybe it’s time to let the car go before it suffers too much from sitting.

Regarding value, I think you may be pleasantly surprised. It pains me to say, but I bet someone would give you $25K+ for the car. While most of us on R3V would never pay that, the market is wild. Several rolling shells have traded hands around $25K.

Best of luck with your decision-

(Also, open $15k offer from me at any time)
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Put some pictures of its current condition here. Somebody will buy it. (Maybe even me.)

Comment

man...i commented a few times in your thread over the years, i would love to own the old girl. i'm interested in the car. i don't even want the engine! i do want an original Hennarot body, though.

sending you a PM.

A
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

That made me sad to take these pictures... My pictures are too big to attach so here's a link to some photos I just took. Let me know if you have any questions. Most likely going to list for sale soon. Thanks for the replies so far!!
                2013 X5D
                2012 Porsche Cayman R
                1988 BMW E30 M3 Build thread: M3 Build

Comment

Have you tried Sin City BMW?

Comment

Unless you have good feedback on the shop or a friend near/next to it to check up on it from time to time, its a challenge to get a build out of state.

I saw the photos. its not as bad as you worded it to be. I literally thought the car was in pieces. Since youre already into Porsches, a p-indi specializing on air cooleds might be the ticket.

Comment

Holy shit that looks like my old m3. I bought it in 2005 w/ a salvage title in Irvine CA. Do you know the history of the car by chance? The guy I sold it to put an m50 in it, and I heard it was impounded or something like that when he sold it.

If you have the means to keep it, I say do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Il Duce View Post
                        Holy shit that looks like my old m3. I bought it in 2005 w/ a salvage title in Irvine CA. Do you know the history of the car by chance? The guy I sold it to put an m50 in it, and I heard it was impounded or something like that when he sold it.

If you have the means to keep it, I say do it!
                        he bought it from "Ara" on this board, and TNG Specialties installed an S52 at some point in the 2000s.
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

a million people will gladly take it off your hands. it's only a car, let it give someone else pleasure
                          Build Threads:
                          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I thought I recognized the name. We spoke years ago about the car. Yes. If you haven't done it by now...pass it on.
                            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I'm far too far down the list by now, but I have cash, a truck and trailer, could not care less about a salvage title, and live ~3.5 hrs away. Say the word and I'll drive over.

I do agree with everyone else though. Let that thing go so it can be appreciated by someone who will fix it up and drive it! An M3 shouldn't rot away in someone's backyard (exact reason I bought one last June).
                              My previous build (currently E30-less)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                              X