Making it quicker: 4.10s and an E36 rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making it quicker: 4.10s and an E36 rack

Spent this winter going through my new-to-me E30, fixing oil leaks, vacuum leaks (there were many) and doing general tune up stuff. The big projects, though, were replacing the 3.25 rear that came in the car with a 4.10 LSD and installing a faster steering rack from an E36.

Overall, the 4.10 upgrade was a vast improvement. With the 3.25, the car was unhappy in around town in 35-45 mph driving, either winding out in third gear or lugging in fourth. With the 4.10s. I can drop the car into fourth at those speeds, and it's much happier, with instant acceleration from there when required. The M20's nice smooth torque curve seems to work perfectly with the steeper gears. The downside, of course, is higher engine speed on the highway. At 65 mph in fifth, the engine spins at 3K, which is not too much different from my other "fun" car, my 85 911, which turns 3K at 70 mph. Neither would be ideal for cross-country drives on interstates, but that's not why I have them. They are perfect for back road blasts.

The quicker steering rack from the E36 was also a great upgrade, giving the steering a much more modern feel. Installation was pretty easy too, and I added a Chase Bays power steering kit (lines plus reservoir), which was a nice piece of kit.

The final upgrade was bling--I added a set of Rota fb wheels, which gave the car the vintage sports car look I like. Also added new Dunlop Direzza IIIs, which I have yet to put to the test, since Seattle road's have been wet for seemingly months at this point.

The car should be ready for spring soon! I know I am.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6858.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	9976112
    Attached Files

Only 4.1s eh? Didn't want to grab some 4.44s?

Comment

I drove my '91 325i across country with a g260 and a S4.10. Sat at 4k the whole time.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
        I drove my '91 325i across country with a g260 and a S4.10. Sat at 4k the whole time.
        How was it? Honestly, the M20 is so smooth, it doesn't feel bad to me on the highway at all.

Comment

i just down graded from 3.91 to 3.73. A 4.11 is too short, be different with a 6 speed and proper spaced ratios
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by WAKman View Post

How was it? Honestly, the M20 is so smooth, it doesn't feel bad to me on the highway at all.
            It made the trip just fine. AC was busted, so it was loud and hot with the windows down.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

You car is looking great. A shorter diff ratio is the best bang for buck mod you can do to most e30s to make them faster. I have a 3.25 LSD at the moment with my M30, but have run a 3.73 in the past and will either go back at some point, or swap the gearbox to a 6 speed.
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Looking good! My first long trip in my E30 was the trip home from Atlanta to Washington, D.C after purchasing the car. 650+ miles at over 4K RPM. 4.10 rear diff.

Comment

Nice color!

How do you like the E36 rack?

I bought a 100km E36 rack from the wrecker...looked fine but I find it has a dead spot in the middle...maybe 1/8" movement.
                  My school bus E30 rack has no play at all (205km)
                  I can see wear on the teeth of the rack right in the middle position (the rack is off the car now)

Found an other E36 rack, again it looked great but has the same play at the center...so I didn't buy it.
                  The feel of the rack was just fine for me but for the play.
                  I'm going to try for an E46 purple tag next.

Comment

Originally posted by finnmole View Post
                    Nice color!

How do you like the E36 rack?

I bought a 100km E36 rack from the wrecker...looked fine but I find it has a dead spot in the middle...maybe 1/8" movement.
                    My school bus E30 rack has no play at all (205km)
                    I can see wear on the teeth of the rack right in the middle position (the rack is off the car now)

Found an other E36 rack, again it looked great but has the same play at the center...so I didn't buy it.
                    The feel of the rack was just fine for me but for the play.
                    I'm going to try for an E46 purple tag next.
                    I love the E36 rack--makes the car feel much more responsive. I went with a remanufactured one to avoid the kinds of problems you mentioned.

Comment

Nice color!

Don't E36 racks have a slow spot in the middle by design, while E30 racks are linear?

Comment

z3 and z4 racks are the only linear progression racks I think
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I believe all the racks are linear except for the 95 M3 rack.
                          The M3 rack apparently feels a bit lazy at center but then gets quicker as you turn...designed for M3 suspension...not a good fit for a E30.
                          The dead spot I'm getting is like a loose feeling, constantly adjusting. My old E30 rack felt solid at centre but of course is so slow other wise.

I'm hoping to get my E46 purple tag rack soon and will report back once I get it installed.

Comment

I believe all the racks are linear except for the 95 M3 rack.
                            That was my understanding when I purchased the E36 rack. I don't notice any variability in steering inputs. It fits the car and chassis setup seamlessly.

Comment

Where'd you get the remanufactured rack? I've used Rack Doctor https://rackdoctor.net a couple of times in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X