Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30-LS1: Pics, Short Vid and Buildup CD info!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30-LS1: Pics, Short Vid and Buildup CD info!

Hi everyone. Finally got around to making this thread

First some pics and short vid (it was rainy and we only had an iPhone) then info on our build guide. I'll see about making another vid sometime in the near future

As many of you know, my dad and I put an LS1 (aka aluminum v8 used in the corvette, cts-v, etc) and t-56 6 speed transmission into our e30. The main reason for doing this was a jump to ~350hp with virtually no weight gain due to the aluminum block, as well as uniqueness and fun of it, among others. There are extensive buildup threads which can be viewed here:

or

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Problem is those are ridiculously long and hard to sift through for information. We took extra effort to document every little detail of our swap and due to the interest we have compiled it into a 22 chapter, 194 page PDF that goes through everything you possibly need to know to complete the swap. In the CD are step by step instructions, parts lists, suppliers, cad models and drawings, sketches, wiring diagrams, etc. We detail how to make engine mounts, exhaust, wiring, A/C, fuel system, radiator, intake system, drive shaft, hydroboost system, etc.

To get ahold of the build guide, just go on PayPal, pick the send money tab, and when asked for the recipient's email put in E30LS1@gmail.com We are charging $99.00 shipped. When PayPal notifies us we will send out the CD via USPS, and email you the shipping info. Don't forget to include your mailing info when on PayPal!

Obviously some teaser photos are in order so here they are:

Step by step instructions

CATIA modeling

Drawings

Sketches

Stress Calculation

etc! Don't wanna lift the skirt too high so there you go!

Hope you enjoy the car and have had fun following it on the threads, or maybe even building your own!

Cheers
    -Garret
    E30-LS1 aka. 357is
    email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
    E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
    E30LS1@gmail.com
    e30ls1.com

simply amazing. it doesn't even wind up in the vid. I cant imagine what it sounds like snarling. Let me be the first to say... amazing job, a hell of a contribution to the community IMO.

-Paladin
    Late model granitesilber 325i convertible FS:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=293701

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinReed View Post
      Let me be the first to say...
      Yeah you're the first. . . . Hick.

Nice job on the write up.
      Last edited by Philo; 11-17-2009, 07:17 PM.
      -tim
      Originally posted by Jordan
      I like the stance
      -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Awesome! Gonna pick up a copy of that guide nextweek!

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinReed View Post
          simply amazing. it doesn't even wind up in the vid. I cant imagine what it sounds like snarling. Let me be the first to say... amazing job, a hell of a contribution to the community IMO.

-Paladin
          Thanks man, really appreciate that. How is he a hick? haha
          E30-LS1 aka. 357is
          E30LS1@gmail.com
          e30ls1.com

Comment

that is awesome! I wish I could do something like this.

Comment

nice I like it. whats the mpg on the freeway. your making the gears in my head turn, but not a ls1 more like a ls9. we will see if my 2.7 stroker turbo motor is fast enough for me in the turns.

Comment

What's the weight of the LS1 Compared to a S50/2? Sorry, too lazy to search.
                -Pierre
                1987 535is
                1988 325is

Comment

I've been watching this build and it's incredible! Once I get the money I think I want to buy your CD just so I can get a really good in-depth look at the build. who knows, I'm looking to do a swap in the future....
                  stephenbrody.com

Comment

Originally posted by e30nub View Post
                    Something around 60 lbs less, with the transmissions included. The LS1 is light, the T-56 is heavy.

Edit: 609 lbs for the LS1+T56, all accessories, etc.
                    Last edited by whiltebeitel; 11-17-2009, 05:59 PM.
                    '89 325i track sloot
                    '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

I just bought the disk from Garret and Steve, and it is very well done, and very in depth. Great job guys.

Damn that sounds great in the video. Cant wait to get behind the wheel of mine.
                      My LS1 swap thread:
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=160030

Comment

Originally posted by Paukert11 View Post
                        nice I like it. whats the mpg on the freeway. your making the gears in my head turn, but not a ls1 more like a ls9. we will see if my 2.7 stroker turbo motor is fast enough for me in the turns.
                        Mileage depends on how heavy your foot is. We haven't really measured it extensively but it's a light car and you can cruise going 60 in 6th gear at 1000 rpm.

Originally posted by e30nub View Post
                        We weighed our car post swap and it only gained 80 lbs which essentially is like a 10 year sitting in the front seat. Yeah it is a little beefy but the t-56 is bombproof (and the feel of ours shifting is amazing). Is the s50 with trans that light as well?
                        E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                        E30LS1@gmail.com
                        e30ls1.com

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                          you can cruise going 60 in 6th gear at 1000 rpm.
                          OMG. hybrid v8 eh? ;)

Comment

Build CD looks amazing. Good luck selling them.

BTW - how may LS1 swaps are there on here? Two?
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I know there is some bloke on the West Coast with an LS1 M3 (Bob from Gig Harbour or some such), plus Firestorm in Western Australia is building a pretty crazy dry sumped LSx E30. He hasn't updated his thread in a while... (hint fucking hint Chris :p )

Oh, and my Delphin skankburger (aka Project Meat-Flange) will be rocking an L98 (the LSx version, not the older version). I have been waiting by the mailbox for this CD to turn up - much like Arnold Schwarzenegger when he heard Ivan Reitman was sending him another script for a completely original comedy movie where he plays a large burly oaf against Danny DeVito who will be playing a wise-cracking dwarf.
                              Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Working...
                              X