Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Driver s52 Sedan. The Silberbullet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orangechicken
    replied
    CSB was definitely backwards (an understandable mistake given the amount of confusing information caused by the change in CSB style midway through the production years).

Tried to remove it to flip it, but ended up destroying it in the process. So I ordered the E30 CSB kit from Pelican Parts. Unfortunately, I learned that, because the E36 M3 driveshaft has both u-joints on the back half, the splines go the opposite way through the CSB and the support plate / dust covers from the Pelican Parts kit won't work.

So I ordered the ones from the E36 and got everything patched up tonight. Definitive answer (that I've spammed elsewhere) for late model E30 318's (at least) using an E36 M3 manual driveshaft (at least) is:

1. Buy the E30 CSB for your year car. These late model E30 318's (among others) have an offset carrier.

2. Install the CSB in its stock orientation – not backwards – with the offset towards the passenger side.

3. *Don't* buy the dust covers / support plates for the E30 CSB, however. Instead, buy the E36 versions (part #s 26 11 1 226 552 & 553, IIRC). Circlip is the same for both, I believe.

4. Don't forget to preload the CSB!

Now I have no more shudder under heavy acceleration in first and second! I still have a vibration when I coast (even out of gear) between 45-55mph but goes away when I put any power down. Ideas?

Leave a comment:

• orangechicken
    replied
    Congrats, Link!

I got the RTABs and subframe bushings R&Red (…an orrrrrdeal that I don't want to relive now… lesson learned: buy/rent/borrow the special tools.

@Roysneon: They were OEM rubber.

@Link: Did you install the CSB backwards? There's confusing info online regarding the orientation of the CSB, but I think that might be the source of that vibration. It seems to be offset in the opposite direction (towards the driver's side) than the diff is (towards the passenger side). I'm going to flip it and see if that clears that up. Then I'm going to retime that cams (special tools!) to see if I can get rid of that Mechanical Jamming code.

Leave a comment:

• Link
    replied
    Glad to see you found the thread. Keep the Silberbullet alive and moving forward. It is a great car. I picked up a 2005 Subaru OBXT Limited Wagon. Ill check on the thread occasionally!

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by orangechicken View Post
    Anyone around that has the real deal tools?
    I think someone in the PNW rents the tool. Post the question in the chit chat thread and Im sure someone else will know

How much did you pick the car up for?

Leave a comment:

• Roysneon
    replied
    I just cut a slit in the sleeve and then hit them with a chisel and hammer to get them out. Are you putting OEM rubber bushings in or poly?

Leave a comment:

• orangechicken
    replied
    I bought this from Link last week and am going to continue (ahem, hijack) the thread. Neveriending stooooooooryyyy.

Dropped the rear subframe today to rehab subframe bushings and RTABs. Thought I was gonna get lucky with a smooth R&R – started off well, thanks to airtools – but the subframe bushing is badly seized to the subframe. Rubber came out… but not the sleeve.

I don't have the special tool so I worked something up… ended up with a whole stack of bent washers and no progress after ~8 hours. Gotta get it done today though… so it looks like I'm headed to Harbor Freight in the morning for a pittman puller and some grinding bits to make this.

Man I hope the RTABs go a bit more smoothly…

Anyone around that has the real deal tools?

Leave a comment:

• Link
    replied
    Cut a big hole in the box and made sure to keep the cut under the filter. Not the cleanest, but you can't see it when its mounted and the k&n was sucking the same warm air so I wasn't concerned with air temps. I wanted a higher quality filter, more OEM look and the ease of a $12 filter when I want a new one.

Leave a comment:

• Varinn
    replied
    Any details on that air box fitment? What did you do to clear the alternator

Leave a comment:

• Link
    replied
    Well cruise control has been quite complicated for me.. but the install of the inside cabin went very smoothly. You just simply install the separate harness in and connect at the correct spots. I used this:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e30/ele...l_install.html

The correct cruise cable from the servo to my OBDII throttle body has been very hard to find. I posted about it here:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=326905

SO updates for my car are: still no cruise control. But I have fixed my steering wobble I believe (new e36 rack went in as well), installed lugs, and fitted an m20 air box. I also had the dent fixed from under the passenger door from PO. Here are some pictures in no particular order.

And here is the dent before:

And after a buddy of mine fixed it;

Thanks for the comments and help as always.

Leave a comment:

• Nick_S
    replied
    How hard is the cruise install? I'm waiting on my cruise set up to show up from Guten. Awesome build!

Leave a comment:

• Link
    replied
    A cruise sounds fun. I got the motor buttoned back up. My ECU is off to Market Motorworks getting a new tune. Excited to hopefully have no CEL in a week. I have got the cruise control all wired into the cab, waiting on the cruise control throttle cable to mount the servo and finish hooking that up. And can't mount the brain until the ECU is back in. I put 5mm spacers up front rather than 8mm which looks better.

I am having a steering vibration so a new e36 rack and steering coupler bushing have been ordered. Will be doing the rear subframe and trailing arm bushings in the near future. Body work is still suppose to happen in a few weeks. This car should be close to done at the end of the summer with nothing but normal maintenance left to do. And of course switching up the wheel game. I will get pictures of everything when its running next week. Sorry for the lack of photos.

Leave a comment:

• DER E30
    replied
    Originally posted by Link View Post
    I am local to there, but since owning this car live on the eastside of the state for school most the year and when I am home it is normally torn apart in my garage.. haha
    Haha well when you get it all back together and if you want to go for a cruise with another e30 I'd be game. My m42 wouldn't be able to keep up with you though!

Leave a comment:

• Link
    replied
    I am local to there, but since owning this car live on the eastside of the state for school most the year and when I am home it is normally torn apart in my garage.. haha

Here are some pictures from today. I took apart my dash today to replace burnt out bulbs as well as install most my cruise control. I have the stalk in, and most in cabin wiring done. Will be finishing up this week. Hope to drive the car Friday, if not Thursday.

Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• DER E30
    replied
    Originally posted by Link View Post
    I know this place! Are you local to there? Funny that I haven't seen you around if you are...

Nice work! One of these days Imma go 24v...

Leave a comment:

• Link
    replied
    I think an m30 air box still, the e34 look deep like they will hit my ABS. Anyways I have my valve cover off. Rebuilding my VANOS to get rid of the p1519 code. Also my ECU is off having some changes done to it. My SAP's were never deleted. So hopefully come mid week when I get the car running again it will have o check engine lights. Which would be for the first time.. If that all goes smootly a buddy of my has a paint booth and will be fixing the passenger dent from the first page in here.

Here is the motor torn down:

And my newest upgrade I am loving the looks of, and I ski so the pass through will be nice when just a buddy and I drive up.

And who doesn't like rear head rests?

Thanks for reading, have a good weekend. Ill be headed to DriftCon!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X