Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Driver s52 Sedan. The Silberbullet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evandael
    replied
    don't buy a new one. get one from a salvage car, or some guy who wants to go fuh raze and run a single mass in his m3.

Leave a comment:

• 36brua
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
    I use the stock bmw clutch in my 98 m3 grocery getter. Its great for track use also and is a high quality german sachs part.

I used a original s52 dual mass and clutch set with my s54b32 swap. It was happy at 8400rpm and 310rwhp

Can't really put oem level quality and most communist made parts in the same sentence.

The original s52 clutch and flywheel set is not that heavy;

S52 dual mass flywheel: 22 lbs
    M20 single mass flywheel: 20 lbs

S52 pressure plate is not any heavier than the m20 unit; its more compact and also holds much more torque.

The zf 5 speed transmission will rattle with a single mass flywheel installed;

this is great for a race car that has so much noise and vibration you can barely hear yourself think: (I race a 24v e30 with lightened m20 flywheel and zf 5 speed)

I put the alu 10# blue brand flywheel and stage 2 e34m5 blueified clutch into a e34 touring I swapped a s52b32 and zf 5 speed into; quite a noisy bugger at idle. I didn't enjoy driving it in San Francisco; my last daily (e34 525i-5) with original zf5 and dual mass is great up SF hills.

Perhaps hills is not an issue for you; then the issue would be moot. Dual mass is great for moving the car from stopped to going up a san Francisco hill.

A pucked un sprung clutch+ light fly on my old sc300 5 speed w/ 2JZ Twin turbo swap on the same hills was an exercise in doing burn outs and side stepping the clutch while letting go of the e brake and letting go of the brake also. Horrid and frustrating up van ness in traffic but looked spectacular.

My daily is a stock s52 98 m3 with original 5 speed. Dual mass is the way to go if street driven (I did 12 track days on a stock s52 clutch in the sedan m3 -it also got paired to a s54 and was happy)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    So if I read this and other posts correctly.... I should cough up the $ buy a new BMW dual mass flywheel if I don't have a flywheel to use ? thnx

Leave a comment:

• Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by Link View Post
    I am curious about doing a flywheel conversion to get rid of the dual mass flywheel. ANy input from r3v? I will be ordering my clutch kit (a maybe flywheel) later this week. As well as a 16 inch spal fan.

Do any of you know if you need to have a gasket of some sort between the brake booster and fire wall?
    I use the stock bmw clutch in my 98 m3 grocery getter. Its great for track use also and is a high quality german sachs part.

I used a original s52 dual mass and clutch set with my s54b32 swap. It was happy at 8400rpm and 310rwhp

Can't really put oem level quality and most communist made parts in the same sentence.

The original s52 clutch and flywheel set is not that heavy;

S52 dual mass flywheel: 22 lbs
    M20 single mass flywheel: 20 lbs

S52 pressure plate is not any heavier than the m20 unit; its more compact and also holds much more torque.

The zf 5 speed transmission will rattle with a single mass flywheel installed;

this is great for a race car that has so much noise and vibration you can barely hear yourself think: (I race a 24v e30 with lightened m20 flywheel and zf 5 speed)

I put the alu 10# blue brand flywheel and stage 2 e34m5 blueified clutch into a e34 touring I swapped a s52b32 and zf 5 speed into; quite a noisy bugger at idle. I didn't enjoy driving it in San Francisco; my last daily (e34 525i-5) with original zf5 and dual mass is great up SF hills.

Perhaps hills is not an issue for you; then the issue would be moot. Dual mass is great for moving the car from stopped to going up a san Francisco hill.

A pucked un sprung clutch+ light fly on my old sc300 5 speed w/ 2JZ Twin turbo swap on the same hills was an exercise in doing burn outs and side stepping the clutch while letting go of the e brake and letting go of the brake also. Horrid and frustrating up van ness in traffic but looked spectacular.

My daily is a stock s52 98 m3 with original 5 speed. Dual mass is the way to go if street driven (I did 12 track days on a stock s52 clutch in the sedan m3 -it also got paired to a s54 and was happy)

Leave a comment:

• agent
    replied
    Originally posted by evandael View Post
    if you're using the OEM e36 m3 clutch, I believe the F1-racing chromeoly single mass has the correct depth to still allow pressure plate disengagement. it's around $300.
    Or the entire kit with clutch disc and PP is $500 obo:

It's what I bought.

Leave a comment:

• evandael
    replied
    if you're using the OEM e36 m3 clutch, I believe the F1-racing chromeoly single mass has the correct depth to still allow pressure plate disengagement. it's around $300.

honestly, i'd just use the stock dual-mass.. i'm about 95% convinced that's what i will do.

Leave a comment:

• Link
    replied
    I am curious about doing a flywheel conversion to get rid of the dual mass flywheel. ANy input from r3v? I will be ordering my clutch kit (a maybe flywheel) later this week. As well as a 16 inch spal fan.

Do any of you know if you need to have a gasket of some sort between the brake booster and fire wall?
    Last edited by Link; 05-26-2013, 12:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Link
    replied
    OEM is what I think I will be doing. Here is a picture the engine on the stand.

And here is a picture of the modified fire wall for the booster relocation.

I have a couple questions, for SAP do I just simply remove everything Connected to the two pipes coming off exhaust and have it deleted from my DME?

Also do I just remove the vacuum pump set up if that getting deleted?

What do I do to delete EWS other than having it deleted out of my DME?

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Link; 05-25-2013, 10:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 36brua
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
    Oem s52 everything. Its great for track work (hpde) and also driving every day

Twin mass setup ? Thnx

Leave a comment:

• Wanganstyle
    replied
    Oem s52 everything. Its great for track work (hpde) and also driving every day

Leave a comment:

• Link
    replied
    I have considered swapping everything over so I do not need a tune but don't think that is how I want to do it. Id rather clean up the motor some.

DesertBMW I tried sending you a PM a couple weeks ago and never heard anything from you, I sent you another last night as well so I hope to hear from you this time.

I pulled the tranny off the motor yesterday and got the motor up on the engine stand, Ill get a few pics today. The main reason for doing this was to inspect the clutch and flywheel, and my predictions were correct, the clutch is shot, it appears to be the original 120k clutch.

So what clutch set up and flywheel do you guys recommend for an s52? I was thinking all OEM stock parts. But am always open to suggestions.

Ill post pictures of my modified brake booster once its all done, hopefully by tonight.

Leave a comment:

• E30stan
    replied
    Looks like the M3 was an automatic, so you would have to trim off all the auto harness from the engine harness.

Since you have the entire car to pick from, i would get the ews system and install into the e30, then you dont need any tuning on the ecu. Thats what i did on my 318is. I installed all the emissions systems, besides the fuel tank pressure sensor.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBMW
    replied
    I think I will keep it then, I am planning to run the car as stock as possible for simplicity. I am keeping it OBDII, but I do plant to have some emissions **** deleted and EWS also. Still cant find anyone who can tune my ECU though.
    I am the only one in the world who can code the OBD2 MS41 ecu properly for a swap. I don't delete stuff in software, I code them properly so that ecu ignores the missing emissions components, if you install emission parts then ecu will automatically recognize them and keep reading them, If you remove them again than the ecu will again ignore them and never trow check engine light. You can even pass tough California emissions with my ecu. All the people that bought my ECU are very happy.

Leave a comment:

• Link
    replied
    More parts in the mail!

Leave a comment:

• Link
    replied
    Thank you for the info on the diff cover, that is very helpful to know! And thats to bad about the steering wheel. I have a buddy who just rolled their car and now Im skeptical about removing my airbag system, how ever I don't have the stock wheel and hate the looks of it.

Leave a comment:

• Wanganstyle
    replied
    So I just went to swap my 3.25 lsd in my car, and had to swap the e30 diff cover for that to happen....... well the diff cover in my 1991 318i is smaller than the 3.25 lsd. So I believe when I locate the correct diff cover it will still bolt in. Can anyone confirm this? Because arent all late model e30s the big diff?
    Some of those hella old e24/28 diff housings have non-compatible cases with e30; check mye28 website for this info- its well documented.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=44635

4 banger bmw's get 4 banger parts from bmw; 168mm diff.
    6 banger bmws in the usa all 6 banger parts from bmw; 188mm diff.

The only e30 4 banger that is special and has a 188mm diff is a e30m.

318 not = e30m :)

Use e30 325i or 325e cover- the 325 is a 6 banger and bmw gave it 6 banger parts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X