New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!

We have a slight conflict...as it gets warm and the trails dry out, it's BIKE SEASON! How will we finish all these projects?!

Comment

Keep up the good work, great to see a family project. Adds true value to any car.

Comment

At least his E30 is running well now - we need it! My "new", "reliable" 2001 Audi A4 1.8 spun its rod bearings 300 miles from home. Expensive trip. I'll have to swap in a good used long block - it's trashed the crank. I fear the 1.8 sludge monster has caught up with me, even with regular synthetic oil changes.

VW replaced a lot of engines in these, but that was 10 years ago - too late now.

Comment

Time for a TDI crank!
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'm getting reports that the truck driver loading it put a rod through the block. Puddle of oil. Nice. Coming back with a winch flatbed, will cost me more.

Nobody's fault really, the mechanic there thought it would be drivable to get onto a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
              I'm getting reports that the truck driver loading it put a rod through the block. Puddle of oil. Nice. Coming back with a winch flatbed, will cost me more.

Nobody's fault really, the mechanic there thought it would be drivable to get onto a truck.
              Sounds like the mechanic's fault to me. Why anyone would run an engine with spun bearings is a mystery.
              - Josh
              1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
              Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Yeah, I agree, but he started it up once we towed it back there to verify rod bearings, then pulled it the 15 feet into his shop every night while we continued the trip in a rental car. Kept it for a week no charge, gave me engine source advice. In the parking lot, it just knocked and rattled - I assume the truck driver on a Sunday revved it up to climb the ramps, and boom.

I'm told neither Indy shops nor dealers will rebuild these - they put in used or order a new one from Audi. Worth more than the car.

Since I'm buying a used long block, I'm just shaking my head at this point. Core charge is just for the alum apparently.

My plan is all new seals, timing belt & tensioner, timing chain tensioner, clutch, all the pressure & temp sensors, oil pump / chain / pickup tube, and scrub the hell out of the pan etc. They make a big oil filter to add volume (to 3.7 qts), and I'll just change it more often. 180 hp out of 110 ci plus 5000 mi oil changes apparently isn't working. 130,000 miles, what a waste.
                Last edited by LateFan; 04-10-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

New plugs rotor cap went in this weekend. Need to install the rebuilt SI board. He likes it better without the wheel caps. He uses his bike a lot and we had an extra old rack from a Volvo 240.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	7200320

Name:	rear 3_4 big.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	7200328

Big ticket goals we can't afford right now…..which to choose, which to choose…

5 speed swap vs wheels vs re-cover sport seats vs used rusty euro bumps. Might have to just stay like this for a while.
                  Last edited by LateFan; 01-09-2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Love this car. Swap would be my vote!
                    Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=254176

Comment

Some used bits came from Germany…..

Name:	DSC09498.jpg
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	7177538

Name:	DSC09502.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	7177539

Comment

Oh man, can never go wrong with alpinas, I love the cap-less look of them
                        '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                        '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
                        '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
                        '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

They're not real ones BTW….I forgot to mention that…OZ / King replicas.

Comment

New front calipers

Name:	new calipers.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	7196290
                            Last edited by LateFan; 03-15-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Keep up the work and continue updating the thread!

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                              1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                              1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                              1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                              1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                              1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                              Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                              1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                              1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Car looks great, keep it up. Your son is very lucky.

Comment

Working...
                                X