No announcement yet.

New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 degrees yesterday WOOT! Now we just need to find time off at the same time! ..and the budget....always the budget.....

Comment

Moving to a new apt. So handy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	moving day.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	7201826

Name:	moving day 2.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	7201827

We got the Ireland Engineering trailing arms back together and aligned. Drives nice and straight, no hands straight down the road. One little clunk at the RR, but that may be the battery not locked down correctly. New tires in the back.

Need to add the upper shock reinforcement plates.

Need to install the skid plate (red46?). I'd really like to get the euro front valance and eventually bumpers, but it doesn't seem to affect the installation of the skid plate.

Smelled some gas, found a leak where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail. Instant +3 mpg, he says!

With the low offset wheels and drop hats, it catches the top of the tire on the fender lip when turning and hitting a slight bump. Maybe those drop hats should come out when we replace shocks sometime. Just for real world driving everyday.

Manual trans is still sitting in the garage waiting for time / budget / parts!

Comment

Get that manual swap done!!
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yep. It would be / will be sweet. Funny how certain things are a priority for me, but not necessarily for him! Not my car! But we are looking at seat materials and kits, and we got the seat shock set from Jeff.

I need to get back to finishing the Alfa.

Comment

I have some euro bumpers and a NOS 84/85 valance, if that tickles your fancy...
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post

I need to get back to finishing the Alfa.
              please do... Those cars hate sitting. The Datsuns been on jackstands all year and its really driving me crazy right now, but Im at the point that Im reinstalling stuff and the collection of parts everywhere are going back onto the car.
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Austin - they DO tickle me. I don't know that his budget has that amount of tickle in it...one more year of school....

Also, I think the '86 steel valance is a different shape from the very early car, isn't it?

I was looking at this one vs shipping a rusty one from Europe....

Has the front air vents, fog light holes lined up with the turn signals, and the right holes for euro bumps. We have the plastic lip with the oil cooler vents. The steel valance has been pushed and tweaked out of shape - prolly when someone in the 80s mashed the cowcatcher and replaced it with the IS version (which we sold).

Simon - yes
                I had hoped to have it on the street late spring for a big MT 2-lane loop with a couple of friends in old cars. Too busy, too cold in the garage, budget shot, yada yada excuse excuse......sorry.

Comment

Do you ever just dive in and start working on something you know needs finishing, and eventually you'll just get to everything? What I usually do - don't worry about the big picture, just do something!

I did the opposite recently and made a project list / punch list to finish it.....and it was a bit overwhelming - time-wise, budget-wise, and sometimes skill-level-wise.

Comment

Do you ever just dive in and start working on something you know needs finishing, and eventually you'll just get to everything? What I usually do - don't worry about the big picture, just do something!

I did the opposite recently and made a project list / punch list to finish it.....and it was a bit overwhelming - time-wise, budget-wise, and sometimes skill-level-wise.
                    Just remember, its a marathon not a race.

Unless you have a Velocity channel show then EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE DONE YESTERDAY.
                    Steve • Toronto
                    1991 318is • Brillantrot
                    Build Thread

Comment

Like so.....

Name:	BMW-E30-EURO-VALANCE.jpg
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	7201834

Name:	E30 Euro front.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	7201835

Name:	87 euro bumps & valance.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	7201836

So you need to find old style fogs / M3 fogs, or the smooth filler plates, right?

Comment

Like so

So you need to find old style fogs / M3 fogs, or the smooth filler plates, right?
                        You painted the abs thing under the valance that I keep ripping off my car in parking lots ?
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

The black plastic lip? Yeah, parking blocks are a bummer - all of my cars catch on those, except the tall Volvo wagon!

We touched ours up with SEM trim black just for scuffs. That old fiberglass cowcatcher would have been long gone at this height on these roads. But his steel valance barely fits the screw holes, and some are just missing.

I notice on pics of original Alpina cars, that they're not sitting down over the front tires - they have some space for real world driving. Lower, yes, stiffer, certainly, but not catching the tire on the wheel arch like we're doing, and we have essentially the same wheel and offset as real Alpinas.

Comment

Well he called to say he ran out of gas 200 miles away - managed to coast it off the highway and got to a station. Just shut off on the freeway - no stumble or bucking. Just spun the starter trying to start again, no kick, no sputtering.

The gauge has always been so-so, inconsistent. Don't know if this is in the cluster or the sender in the tank.

The 2 gal warning light never came on. Maybe the sender never told it it was low?

He put 12.3 gal in it. It's supposed to hold 14.2 ('86 eta). Those 12.3 gallons got him 300 miles.

We've replaced the full pump, fuel pressure regulator (eta), hoses, filter. It had good fuel pressure last we checked. We did not replace the float or sender.

What should we check?

Comment

Oh, y'know...we never changed out the sender when we did the Vega fuel pump swap.

Some "i" motors have two senders? According to realoem, our e shows just the one in the pump hanger assembly.

Name:	E30 e fuel.jpeg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	7201851

So these aren't cheap for a simple device. I see this hit pops up in a search - from our reliable friends at ECS...for only $98, but the applications says not for an eta.

Name:	637409_x800.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	7201852

This is the dood...well over $200, wow. But seems like this is the likely culprit.

Name:	16-14-1-152-266-BOE.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	7201853
                              Last edited by LateFan; 07-12-2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

We might have two issues here (ONLY two??). He says it wasn't a sputtering, run-out-of gas shutdown, it just shut off instantly and wouldn't re-fire. Sort of like it did when the ICV was bad or there were vacuum leaks and it would shut off if you let off the gas, especially when it was cold.

Don't know if this could be electronic, not fuel...?

Or, does the computer sense not enough fuel pressure and shut off the spark and injectors instantly?

Comment

Working...
                                X