No announcement yet.

agent's 24v build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the weekend Lola got two new oxygen sensors. I de-pinned the connectors, cut this 3' fire sleeve into two 18" pieces, fed the wires though, fire taped the ends by the sensors, re-pinned the connectors and installed them.

The fire sleeve covers the wires from where they screw into the header down pipe up to where the VC meets the head. It may be overkill for the amount of heat they'd normally see, though I don't ever have to worry about the wires shifting and getting too close to a hot pipe and melting.

Her check engine light is now gone (as is the piece of black cardboard that was covering it up), and my butt dyno says I have more low end power.

Thanks to Levent for the great service, to my friend Lee for the assist de-pinning the connectors, to my friend Bill for use of his lift and to bimmerteck for the advice on use of the sleeve.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

My butt dyno also agrees she has more power!!!
      "It's a M sport, it has M logos on it."
      -Miata Driving Douche-

Comment

great looking car, but I have to see more pics of that (zinno 87?) in the background of one of those pics!

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Thanks! The red car is Klaus, and you're correct - he's an '87 Zinno iS. He has his own thread, linked in my sig.

Comment

Lola on the Dragon this past weekend at the Brodeo.

Photos credit: us129photos.com; all rights reserved

Comment

Another...

Photo credit: killboy.com; all rights reserved

Comment

Cool! Couple questions for you now that's been a while since the build.

1. How's the CXracing radiator holding up?
                2. Did you use stock e30 trans mounts on the swap? How have they help up?
                3. Any issues on anything else that was swapped?

Thanks.
                84 325e Burgundrot S52 M Tech 1.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250109

Comment

Originally posted by Aviator View Post
                  1. How's the CXracing radiator holding up?
                  The radiator itself seems to be doing a great job of keeping the engine cool. I have an issue where the car takes a while to get up to temp, and on cold days it stays in (or near) the blue unless it's sitting still. Hopefully replacing the thermostat will help correct that. I'm planning on pulling the heater core and replacing it if necessary as well.

2. Did you use stock e30 trans mounts on the swap? How have they help up?
                  IIRC we used new E21 mounts.

3. Any issues on anything else that was swapped?
                  Yep, a few things...
                  • The flash/tune I got from TRM through Markert has a couple of kinks to iron out. I'm planning to take Dave up on his offer to re-flash the ECU; just waiting to hear back from him.
                  • The Magnaflow cat needs to be replaced. After bottoming it out a couple of times it sounds like I broke some internal welds, and it occasionally rattles at idle and on deceleration. I have some E36 M3 resonators waiting on me whenever I can get back over to RobertK's and have a new mid section welded up. Despite having to pay four times what I should for them since I had to have them overnighted, the V-bands will have paid for themselves.
                  • I need a new steering rack. The E36 rack I bought off CL was apparently out of a wrecked car, because it has a couple of sticky spots and doesn't re-center well on its own.
                  • After six months of occasional driving, a Brodeo and a handful of autocross days, the rear tires on the TypeCs are shot. :mrgreen:

Comment

Ok thanks. I'm going to use a set of new e30 trans mounts I already had. Hopefully they will work ok. And I also have that radiator, good to hear it's worked fine for you.
                    84 325e Burgundrot S52 M Tech 1.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250109

Comment

I've got that steering rack for yah, buddy ;)
                      '91 318is M52 Turbo (in pieces)

Comment

Did a little work today. Big thanks to Jacob and his skills for the help!

Comment

No problem brosephine. They do look sweet.
                          Originally posted by Andy.B
                          Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                          1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The force is strong with this one.
                            Swanny!
                            SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                              Haha, whoops. :D

Cheap lesson that could have been a lot more expensive.
                              Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                              Half shaft flange bolts backed out--I must have rushed a job and not tightened them properly.

This happened to me yesterday on the way home from Zach's house. The last time I recall touching them was when I did the rear wheel bearings last summer (July?). I was extremely fortunate because 1) it happened as I was shifting from 1st to second leaving a stop sign at a leisurely pace, 2) all the bolts were still present and 3) he was about 30 seconds behind me on the way to run an errand.

A quick trip back to his place for the necessary tools and a jack, field repairs were executed and I drove her home. Like Lola's namesake, I had noticed a little noise recently and had every intention of checking things Tuesday...

Comment

Got the Borbets straightened last week and had these installed on them yesterday. The 200 tread wear should be fun while they last.

Comment

Working...
                                X