Back in the game. 1990 325is.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • plmichal
    replied
    So here's a belated update. I towed the car to the dealership I work at and had the help of a BMW Tech with the whole process after hours. (I'm done with doing big jobs without a lift and proper tools.)

    New timing belt, water pump, tensioner, ect ect ect. Along with new fuel lines, fuel tank, and fuel pump. Once it was all put together, I cranked the engine for an extended period of time to get fuel up to the rail. On the 3rd crank, car started right up! Sounds very healthy and is ready to drive. Unfortunately the muffler was rusted out to hell. I'm taking the car to a reputable exhaust shop tomorrow and putting in a magnaflow. Had one on my previous 24v e30 and it sounded great. I'll update with more pictures and a possible video.



    image by michallll, on Flickr


    image by michallll, on Flickr

    Leave a comment:


  • Slicktop_serg
    replied
    Originally posted by plmichal
    After this happened...

    IMG_6733 by michallll, on Flickr

    I've been on the look out for something similar. Late model, 325i/is, manual, no rust, RED, in decent shape. After 4 months and almost giving up hope, this popped up on craigslist...

    IMG_9149 by michallll, on Flickr

    IMG_9150 by michallll, on Flickr

    IMG_9171 by michallll, on Flickr

    Original owner, just a hair over 200k, solid paint (not sure if it's OG), solid interior, just needs some TLC. Doesn't run because its been sitting in a garage for 9 YEARS. and I suspect it has something to do with the fuel pump. Since it's been sitting so long I know I'll be replacing a lot of seals and misc. So happy to be back into a red E30 again! Paint will come back to life, easily...

    IMG_9172 by michallll, on Flickr

    Maintenance will be priority #1 to get this car back to perfect driving condition. Currently I'm debating whether to keep this cherry BONE stock or shock/spring combo and some Kopi Alpinas. I guess I'll figure it out with time.
    GOOD SHIT BRO. Keep them Florida:p 30's alive

    Leave a comment:


  • plmichal
    replied
    Originally posted by MNE30
    I almost bought your car when it was for sale, then I saw that happened, I shoulda rescued it :(
    Lol but if it didn't get wrecked I probably wouldn't have even seen this car on Craigslist. It was meant to be. Love this car.

    Leave a comment:


  • MNE30
    replied
    I almost bought your car when it was for sale, then I saw that happened, I shoulda rescued it :(

    Leave a comment:


  • plmichal
    replied

    image by michallll, on Flickr

    This is what the interior looks like. Took a quick shot this morning and applied a filter to show it better. This weekend I'll be doing the timing belt and seals. Hopefully it'll be running within the week.

    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied
    Great find!


    Originally posted by FredK
    ...if it were me, I would replace the suspension pieces that require replacement and leave it as close to stock and just enjoy a time capsule.

    This, and +1 on the TB before anything else.

    Leave a comment:


  • z6ne
    replied
    Great price.
    Glad you're keeping it OEM, time capsule indeed.
    Enjoy it man!

    Leave a comment:


  • illest318i
    replied
    Originally posted by RUFFLZ
    this ain't no game.

    dat ass waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles
    Hell yeah!

    Leave a comment:


  • MR 325
    replied
    Wow, good find! Look forward to updates.

    Leave a comment:


  • plmichal
    replied
    Originally posted by Restoman
    Nope, don't risk it. You can do the timing belt in less than a day.
    Ughhhh

    Originally posted by z6ne
    how much it schwaz?
    One thousand five hundred George Washington's.

    Originally posted by straightsixe30
    honestly, replace everything with oem parts. Original e30's are rare and getting rarer...
    Absolutely, only OEM. Work at a BMW dealer so I get all the goodies at baller prices.

    Leave a comment:


  • straightsixe30
    replied
    honestly, replace everything with oem parts. Original e30's are rare and getting rarer...

    Leave a comment:


  • z6ne
    replied
    how much it schwaz?

    Leave a comment:


  • Restoman
    replied
    Nope, don't risk it. You can do the timing belt in less than a day.

    Leave a comment:


  • plmichal
    replied
    Originally posted by FredK
    This car has a ton of potential! It appears to be in completely stock shape, so if it were me, I would replace the suspension pieces that require replacement and leave it as close to stock and just enjoy a time capsule.

    My suggestion is to replace the timing belt now. The rubber ages, and most folks recommend replacing it at 5 or 6 years, or 60K miles. 14 years on a critical rubber component stored in a fairly warm climate is a recipe for disaster. You can take the opportunity to detail the heck out of the engine bay, rewrap the wiring harnesses if the tape has crumbled, replace the coolant expansion tank, and so on. Those are my two cents anyway.
    Love the time capsule idea. I can always put a shock/spring combo on there with some wheels and have the option of putting it back to stock.

    I absolutely want to detail the bay and do all maintenance stuff. I just want to hear the engine run for a little before I start tearing it apart to reseal and clean up the bay. I guess to give me peace of mind of some sort? Idk, just want to do it lol.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    This car has a ton of potential! It appears to be in completely stock shape, so if it were me, I would replace the suspension pieces that require replacement and leave it as close to stock and just enjoy a time capsule.

    My suggestion is to replace the timing belt now. The rubber ages, and most folks recommend replacing it at 5 or 6 years, or 60K miles. 14 years on a critical rubber component stored in a fairly warm climate is a recipe for disaster. You can take the opportunity to detail the heck out of the engine bay, rewrap the wiring harnesses if the tape has crumbled, replace the coolant expansion tank, and so on. Those are my two cents anyway.

    Leave a comment:

Working...