Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet "Blue Nose" M62b44 swap (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stonea View Post
    Congrats on the first drive! It looks like two cirrus blue coupes saw the road for the first time today in months.

Thanks dude! Did you get your Cirrus going??

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Yep! And now with more 5 speed than before.
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Not a whole lot in the ways of updates.

Been chasing down info on backfiring, took a gamble it was between 4 different things..

1.) Voltage reg/alternator 2.) Knock sensors 3.)Bad o2 sensors 4.) Old gas/pressure

Knock sensors were brand new OEM, and torqued to spec so I was hoping I wouldn't have to re do that. My O2 sensors are straight out a junkyard for mock up purposes, so figured theyre trash anyhow so a new set will be here tomorrow. Gas, well... months old but with a fresh full tank the 1-2 gallons that were in there should be mixed now. Pressures good when I checked at the rail.

Which left me with the Alternator, which granted wasn't charging the h9 battery. I chalked it up to maybe not connecting a wire from the alternator to the ignition signal. So tapped the blk/grn to the starter, no luck. When I tested it prior to installing, it showed the alternator was good, I didn't think of testing the poles to the regulator though. Lucky for me I still had the original one off the green 540 in a box stashed away just in case. Tested it and 100% good, didn't even notice the rebuild sticker originally. So on a nice overcast cloudy day, spent the 2 hrs removed the radiator & etc and what do ya know.... swapped alt's and now getting 14.3 v when running & no more horrid back firing. Also gave me the chance to test fit the nose panel I made which I'm pretty content with.

On a side note.... working on an e55 AMG sucks. The things you have to do just to get the plug boots off are crazy. Had to improvise my own wrenches just to get them all off, firewall ones were the worst... I get the purpose of twin spark but really......

I was reading somewhere that the kick down from the TPS causes a fuel hesitation & someone suggested putting a capacitor to help fix that. I was about to wire in a 470uf as a last ditch effort but glad I hadnt. Now when the new O2 sensors arrive, it should be running way more steady than ever & perhaps even daily-driven worthy haha.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

That coolant expansion tank you have is pretty cool. Never seen one like that before.
          1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
          COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
            Yep! And now with more 5 speed than before.
            Badass! Just in time for summer enjoyment too good job man!

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
            That coolant expansion tank you have is pretty cool. Never seen one like that before.

Thanks, its just off an e34/e38 originally wanted to do a similar set up to what you have in your sig but the way I originally wanted to route my OCC didn't make it possible. So decided to put the OCC there instead just to make it easier to access & drain.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Well got the new o2 sensors yesterday... need to cut & splice the OE connectors back on, got both off then noticed my DS wire was hanging low... so now I need to make a trip to the yard and get another set of connectors haha. Nothing can be easy.

On a side note... Thank god for harbor freight and their cheap tools, couldnt get the DS sensor out cause of the weird position & it was already a little rounded out when I got it from the junkyard a while ago. Nothing a little swearing couldn't fix... Made a little mount/bracket for the GE Keyless entry while I was waiting for the sensors to come in the mail. Cleaned up the wiring after the pic, just really happy with how it came out.

Last edited by DIIRTY-30; 06-14-2017, 10:12 AM.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Haven't really updated this since I've been working more on the 8 and put the e30 on the backburner.

Picked up some O2 plugs wires from the junkyard and wired it up. Narrowed down my fuel cut off decel, bought a Dinan chip which seems to have fixed the issue thankfully. I was about to wire in some 220uf capacitors to the TPS since I found someone fix their issue in that manner. Kind of glad I didn't need to resort to that, o2 sensors also made a world of a difference, drilled and tapped the trans case to avoid melting the wiring again haha. Denso units also heat up a lot quicker I noticed compared to when I did bosch units on my other cars. Nice not to be fumigated by gas in my driveway finally. Got the interior almost back to 100% just missing the bolts for the hood latch lever and need to make a 2 pc rear seat delete panel, so source some aluminum for that and carpet it. Eventually send out my door cards to have the M cloth put on the centers.

Overall narrowed down a lot of issues, the only thing that I really am not looking forward to is pulling the intake off again to fix the OSV connector since I have a small vac leak coming from right there that I found. FML right? I made my breather hose too long to the OCC and I'm guessing after driving around for 16 miles its wiggled itself loose.

Used my spare ECU to figure out how to remove the old chip just incase I messed up, found a ton of corrosion in the far corner of the board. So i'm not 100% sure if that was caused by the welding or just life... Everything worked great up till the exhaust was done, then boom no crank.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Where do you have your DME mounted?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                    Where do you have your DME mounted?

Right now I have it mounted in my glovebox with the relays

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

There was some discussion in my build thread about the harness not reaching the DME when using the M42 mount is why I'm asking.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                        There was some discussion in my build thread about the harness not reaching the DME when using the M42 mount is why I'm asking.

I can see that being an issue, I managed to get it in there, i didn't top mount it though like a regular DME. Just on the inside of the glovebox and shaved the rear portion so that the wires wouldn't get snagged or pinched.

I rarely use a glovebox aside from storing reg/insurance & maybe a flashlight. I'm sure for others that have ketchup packets and random stuff jammed in there it would be an issue having it near the DME.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Amazing build, can't believe I had not seen it.

Thanks for sharing!

Enjoy!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

:coolphoto:
                            2001 740i - daily
                            1987 528e - project
                            1987 325e - sold

if u dont like my post click here

Comment

Almost got most the kinks worked out, then the ICV starts acting up haha.

Gonna start relocating stuff pretty soon, charcoal canister has made a pretty big improvement instead of atmos venting. About to slap a 635i cat on there and see if that helps with my fumes.

Drove it for a good 20 mins in light traffic and had a headache from the exhaust. Finally got it to stop running as rich, needed a new FPR go figure.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

PLS takes sum pix
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X