No announcement yet.

My 1988 e30 325ix - Garage'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try and make it out to a meet sometime. I'd love to see your car in the flesh

Comment

Just the rear bumper strip from my cousins parts car. I still have the rest of it if you want to meet up sometime. I give it to you

Comment

SUB'D. I have an 88ix coupe and an 89ix coupe as well. The 89 was supposed to replace the 88 but that's another story.

You've already attracted a bunch of IX guys which is cool. Nando knows all (really). audiquattrot has the best looking IX coupe out there imho.

Your 88 has all the late model sheet metal. Plastic bumpers will bolt right up if you're so inclined.. you already have the late model valance and IS lip.

Have you checked the car thoroughly for rust? my build thread is a tale of woe lol. haven't really started the rust repair yet but my wife and I are (completely irrationally) committed to restoring our IX.

Welcome to r3v.
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

And yeah that bfc post with the 56 units sold in 88 is pure nonsense. But they **ARE** rare. The 88 coupes were fully loaded and crazy expensive. I believe that all the 88 IXes in the US were coupes, and all the 88 IXes sold in Canada were sedans.

A couple of good background articles for you

That’s right, folks: long before the “xi” models BMW made an all-wheel drive E30 3-Series

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
            SUB'D. I have an 88ix coupe and an 89ix coupe as well. The 89 was supposed to replace the 88 but that's another story.

You've already attracted a bunch of IX guys which is cool. Nando knows all (really). audiquattrot has the best looking IX coupe out there imho.

Your 88 has all the late model sheet metal. Plastic bumpers will bolt right up if you're so inclined.. you already have the late model valance and IS lip.

Have you checked the car thoroughly for rust? my build thread is a tale of woe lol. haven't really started the rust repair yet but my wife and I are (completely irrationally) committed to restoring our IX.

Welcome to r3v.
            Thanks for the kind words. I have looked all over this car and there are some obvious rust spots for sure, but the battery carrier seems to be OK. The rear bumper has a pretty good rust spot right by the tow hook and then surface rust throughout the car. I am pretty good with a spray can and I know I can spot repair most of the superficial rust spots. I hope to get most of that done before snow starts to fly, but i just saw it on top of the mountains so i gotta get my ass in gear.

This weekend I installed Dynamat Xtreme and Dynaliner to just the doors and it made a huge difference. I still have the back panels and the trunk to line with the stuff as well, but I have to order more now. I highly recommend anyone doing this if they are looking for comfort.

For the longest time I have wanted to install Dynamat and Dynaliner (even to the Audi) and I just never prioritized it. With the BMW the exhaust is SO LOUD that I couldn't wait to put it in. Good news is that the exhaust no longer makes my ears bleed.

Comment

And yeah that bfc post with the 56 units sold in 88 is pure nonsense. But they **ARE** rare. The 88 coupes were fully loaded and crazy expensive. I believe that all the 88 IXes in the US were coupes, and all the 88 IXes sold in Canada were sedans.

A couple of good background articles for you

http://www.petrolicious.com/the-bmw-...30-of-them-all
              Thank you for the links. They were fun reads. :-D

Comment

I did the valve cover gasket this weekend as well and I was surprised at how clean my internals looked. The PO did state they rebuilt the head, I guess this is proof. Looks brand new in there!

Comment

Def rebuilt.. Keep her clean with regular oil changes.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

So I'm attempting to change the tie rods right now and I cannot get them out. The outer tie rod has a 17mm bolt that connects to the hub. When I ratchet the 17mm the thread spins along with it. I tried to us some vice-grips to hold the thread in place but that only stripped the thread. I feel kind of stuck at this point. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412285113.796989.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	7169889

Comment

Hold the bottom of the tierod up with a jack. Also DON'T use a pickle fork - hit harbor freight and grab one of the ball joint separators

Amazing deals on this 3/4In Ball Joint Separator at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

autozone also rents those.

Comment

goddamn that engine is immaculate! and thanks for the kind words bradnic =)
                          www.instagram.com/snwmble
                          #snwmble

Current:
                          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

I'm having the hardest time with this it's embarrassing. I managed to get the outer taken off the hub, but seem to be stuck on the inner. The securing plate almost seems to be welded in there. I've taken a chisel to it. I've hit it with a screwdriver. It looks separated and shouldn't be holding the inner in there, but there must be some sort of seizing. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412449930.254833.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	7169932
                            I cannot get it to budge. All I am getting is play in the rack (yea I gotta replace it...)

Comment

Hold the bottom of the tierod up with a jack. Also DON'T use a pickle fork - hit harbor freight and grab one of the ball joint separators

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html
                              Thanks this was super useful information for the drivers side. took me about 10 min to finish that side.

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                              goddamn that engine is immaculate! and thanks for the kind words bradnic =)
                              Yea the engine was a pleasant surprise when i took the valve cover off. I didn't know what to expect.

Comment

I have a handful of pictures, but lets just say that the tie rods were one thousand times more difficult then they ever should have been. I have done plenty of tie rods and never had this much of a problem with it. Needless to say, I am embarrassed at how hard the passenger side was.

I ended not being able to get the ball joint bolt out since the thread just kept spinning. My first reaction on this was to use the vice-grips (before bradnic gave his great advice with the jack) and I ended up stripping the threads. At that point i figured I would just saw off the thread which worked with the outer tie rod. Then the inner was a huge pain in the ass. I eventually got the plate bent back with a chisel set and an inner tie rod tool. After that it was smooth sailing, but seriously the biggest PITA i've had working on a car next to the steering rack in my Audi.

I love cars though. I'm excited to keep working on the BMW. I took it in for an alignment today. From my initial observations with the new tie rods, they really did tighten up the steering feel a lot. I had A LOT of play in the steering wheel because both the inner and outer joints were completely ruined.

Steering coupler and rear strut mounts are next.

Thanks for all the help and listening to me bitching about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X