No announcement yet.

My 1988 e30 325ix - Garage'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for an oil leak in the car. It's one that's been around since I bought the car, but never dripped onto the floor so I haven't worried too much. It's come time to find the leak and get it clean. See the murder scene below.

Before and after. Hopefully this will show me the location.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Glaede View Post
      Where do you find that in ETK? The complete list of VIN's.
      it's in the database (w_fgstnr). you can't see it on realoem.com, etc.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have a very similar leak on my ix and it is the head gasket. The only difference is mine is on the passenger side and mine is worse.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I'd just leave it and call it rust prevention..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
            I have a very similar leak on my ix and it is the head gasket. The only difference is mine is on the passenger side and mine is worse.
            It could possibly be the head gasket, but the head was rebuilt before I bought it. It would maybe be easier to replace than the oil pan though... We will see. If it's not clear I'm going to get some dye and a UV light per Dr. Josh's orders.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              lol, as funny as this is it's completely true.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                I think he is being completely serious. Mine has been doing this for the last 40k+ miles and I have no issues. Just keep an eye on your oil. My plan was to change it my next timing belt. You should consider doing the same.

Comment

I think he is being completely serious. Mine has been doing this for the last 40k+ miles and I have no issues. Just keep an eye on your oil. My plan was to change it my next timing belt. You should consider doing the same.
                  I honestly don't lose a lot of oil either. I'm more worried about any potential vacuum issues it can cause.

Comment

I have never heard of a minor head gasket leak causing a vacuum issue.

Comment

I have never heard of a minor head gasket leak causing a vacuum issue.
                      I'm hoping it's not the head gasket. I guess I gotta check the passenger side then right? I mean it does have oil on it, but I just assume that's from the valve cover leaking.

Comment

yeah, I wasn't kidding lol.

A few years ago I busted my ass over a couple weekends, deciding I'd fix a bunch of leaks. After all that work, it still fucking leaks. I should have just left it alone. :p

also, the only parts of my '88 parts car that weren't completely rusted away were covered in oil from the leaking engine.. soo..
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've been dealing with the E30 acting up. Maybe it's the weather change. I changed my plugs and they are running lean. Car acts like it's running lean and I get hiccups at idle and during acceleration. Acceleration it almost feels like something is holding the car, like running against a rubber band or something.

I've done some testing in my Miller MAF and based on their troubleshooting I should be getting 1v or .1v between pin 4 & 2. I'm currently getting .01v and it's on and off when plugged into the multimeter. Miller Performance has provably the worst customer service response times ever and telephone number tells you to email them. Vicious circle. I checked all my connections, it's all good except the voltage between pin 4 and 2.

Below is my spark plug picture. Looks like detonation honestly.

Comment

So I've reached out the Miller Performance and honestly, they fuckin' suck.

It must just be Brody running the show over there doing literally everything and nothing at the same time. No support to help. You call and you get a voicemail or a message to email them. If you email them you get zero response (they claim 48hrs). I've left voicemails and received nothing. The trouble shooting document on their website actually says to call them if 'x' happens (which it did for me). I called them and it says to email them... I get Brody responding to me and he gives me zero helpful information and just questions my email with literally nothing productive or useful being contributed.

I'm pretty positive that my MAF is the issue here (it appears to not be sending the proper message to my ECU due to low voltage per their specs on the trouble shooting page), but Miller doesn't sell them individually and they don't assist you if you have questions.

Part of me thinks they are going out of business or something, so they are dodging their customers. They are happy to sell you their product, but that's going to be the last time you ever hear from them.

I know this is simply a rant, but i'm super irritated at their lack of customer support. I'd like to keep the MAF and avoid going backwards in the journey and that would mean either getting the MAF fixed, or cutting my loses and moving up to MSPNP.

I'd say that if anyone is reading this and you're slightly interested in Miller Performance, stay away until you hear they get their shit together.

I would like to ask though, does anyone know if there are equivalent MAF sensors I can purchase that will pair with the MAF stuff? Are they universal?

Comment

Miller's MAF conversion is not a true conversion. Scroll down this page and read. https://www.sssquid.com/v3/faq/

Originally posted by SSSquid tuning View Post
                              But what about the Miller MAF Conversion?
                              That’s not a true MAF conversion, and is just a stock MAF with a convenient connection butt, but has no hardware or software for any conversion of MAF signal into something that the ECU is expecting to see. Using this item, especially with the included tune, artificially changes many integral control thresholds that can be quite dangerous for your vehicle. We deal with multiple vehicles a year that have failed from the MillerMAF and/or WAR chip. Thus, we must recommend against using these particular items
                              Then check out his working project.

Pre-release kits now available here: https://sssquid.com/v3/ssshop/pre-release-maf-conversion-kit/ FAQ Do you have a MAF Conversion Kit? Yes, these are now available publicly! Does it work? Yes, perfectly. Can I use it with the stock tune or am I required to buy a SSSQUID tune? You can absolutely use it with the stock tune. In fact, you can […]

Comment

Sssquid did the tuning for my swapped E30 and it runs perfectly with his tune. He will help you out if you don't understand something and he will make sure you are satisfied with you purchase.

Comment

Working...
                                X