No announcement yet.

My 1988 e30 325ix - Garage'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jeenyus I totally feel your pain, I hated welding up the firewall, the sheet metal on these cars seem to be made of a mixture of paper towels and tin foil, they either burn through or the undercoating 6 feet away spontaneously catches fire.

Comment

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
      jeenyus I totally feel your pain, I hated welding up the firewall, the sheet metal on these cars seem to be made of a mixture of paper towels and tin foil, they either burn through or the undercoating 6 feet away spontaneously catches fire.
      Hahahaha! I can relate. Haha! Basically done though, so just need some heat in the garage and I can finish.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
        Hahahaha! I can relate. Haha! Basically done though, so just need some heat in the garage and I can finish.
        I feel you, I've been the same way it's cold out there. I need to get under mine to install the drive shaft but that concrete..

Comment

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
          I feel you, I've been the same way it's cold out there. I need to get under mine to install the drive shaft but that concrete..
          You gotta splurge for the fancy cardboard. Honestly makes a world of difference. Haha

Comment

You gotta splurge for the fancy cardboard. Honestly makes a world of difference. Haha
            bahahah! I've got those cheap 2x2 interlocking foam pads from Harbor Freight but there is so much metal shavings embedded that it's really uncomfortable to lay on. I should buy a 2 post lift..

Comment

The weather is cold in UT. Makes it not ideal for painting, but I still managed to get the interior finished. I setup a heater inside and let it get warm, then painted and seam sealed it all. Happy it's done. All my beautiful welds covered up and not visible.

Comment

I sealed up the outside of the car and I'm happy with how it turned out! After a coat of rubberized paint this will look great! Glad it's done. Now I can lay dynamat and put the interior back together.

Comment

Coming together well and looking good. This kind of repair work is tedious (and unfortunately mostly hidden) but satisfying in its own way. Are you painting the patches/seam sealer in body color?

MJ

Comment

You must be happy the interior is going back in! Anything left to do or will you start driving it again?

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                      Coming together well and looking good. This kind of repair work is tedious (and unfortunately mostly hidden) but satisfying in its own way. Are you painting the patches/seam sealer in body color? MJ
                      The underside of the car still needs a layer of rubberized paint. It's black so it should finish it off really nice. The interior I have dynamat to lay down still today, but no plans to paint anything else in the interior.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                        You must be happy the interior is going back in! Anything left to do or will you start driving it again?
                        I have decided to redo some exhaust bits before I can drive it. So after the interior is back together I will need to figure that out before I can drive it again. Hopefully that won't be too tough.

Comment

Got dynamat installed in the e30 this evening. I had about 12sq ft. Below are the results. Now I can reinstall the carpet! Feels good.

Comment

The underside of the car still needs a layer of rubberized paint. It's black so it should finish it off really nice. The interior I have dynamat to lay down still today, but no plans to paint anything else in the interior.
                            Sounds like a good plan, the rubberized undercoating should offer some extra protection and look proper. Was just curious of your plans since I am still working out how to handle the final finish of my repair work of previous panel replacement (repair of accident damage).

The Dynamat looks great, I have plans to do a similar install once I re-seal all the loose body plugs....I can't wait to get the carpet back in the car, it takes up a lot of floor space.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

I can't wait to get the carpet back in the car, it takes up a lot of floor space.

MJ
                              haha! this is funny, because you're totally right. I decided to put my on top of the e30 since i wasn't going to be driving it. it's been there for like the last few months and hasn't gotten in the way yet!

Comment

I got the black rubberized layer on the car over the holiday. After these pictures I went back through and did another coat in some areas that I missed, plus another full coat. Once that was done I moved onto better things. I installed the headers on the car with new studs, bolts and gaskets. I didn't fully tighten them in case I need some wiggle room.

Comment

Working...
                                X