• Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can do it later but now is the best time
    Originally posted by Sonny
    I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post

the Y collector is offset I think for this purpose. I don't know if I am going to ceramic coat them. Should I? if i don't do it now can I not do it later?
      The headers are just mild steel, so if you don't coat them they'll just rust. And most "header" paint doesn't last. I'd ceramic coat them after you have your flanges welded on.

You should just weld the Y to the collectors and put one VBand after the Y pipe

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        The headers are just mild steel, so if you don't coat them they'll just rust. And most "header" paint doesn't last. I'd ceramic coat them after you have your flanges welded on. You should just weld the Y to the collectors and put one VBand after the Y pipe
        I would but I feel like that would make it impossible to remove the headers if necessary.

Comment

I would but I feel like that would make it impossible to remove the headers if necessary.
          I considered putting the vband after the merge on mine and using bolts instead of studs so the headers could be removed. I ended up doing the offset vbands instead.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

I considered putting the vband after the merge on mine and using bolts instead of studs so the headers could be removed. I ended up doing the offset vbands instead.
            The internet makes this all seem so easy! I think what I am going to do is band clamps where the y collector attaches to the headers and then a vband on the 3" single outlet. If it comes to it I can probably add in the vbands for the collector as well, but I don't think it will be necessary. I'll keep you posted. I just ordered the vband and clamps to get it all mocked up.

Comment

I got these little morsels installed. Biggest pain in the ass to get the sheered off bolt out. I ended up just having to drill the whole thing out and retap the remaining bolt out. They are in now and look pretty. Lubed with all the molly, lol. Gonna take the headers in for cerakoat this week.
              Last edited by jeenyus; 02-18-2020, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Working on the exhaust. I'm gonna need to puzzle this together. I can cut back to the cat and then from there I need to figure out what looks like two 45 degree angles and the straight to get this connected. I shouldn't be the worst thing I hope. Cool picture of the 6-2-1 exhaust.

Comment

Looks like it's sitting pretty close to your T case bushing cross mount?
                  Is it possible to move your cat backwards a bit? I think this would give you some more play room to get all the angles nice and smooth
                  1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                  1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                    Looks like it's sitting pretty close to your T case bushing cross mount?
                    Is it possible to move your cat backwards a bit? I think this would give you some more play room to get all the angles nice and smooth
                    yea i think what i'll do it chop it at the catalytic converter and route it from there. I needed to set this up to see exactly what changes needed to occur before buying piping. i will also need to add the mount to the y-collector that i removed off the stock portion. It will be a good amount of welding ahead of me, but once it's done I should be done and be able to drive the car. I will be taking in the headers this week to get ceramic coated, but I cannot decide on a color. I was thinking of a 50/50 mix of black and gold, but now i'm kind of leaning toward just a silver since that's the general theme in the engine bay already. What do you think?

Comment

I went with an anthracite grey (paint) on my manifold, I think they look pretty good

I'm thinking the black ad gold would look kinda tacky

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                        I'm thinking the black ad gold would look kinda tacky
                        I think the color is technically called "burnt bronze". I've been trying to decide and still can't come to a decision, because right now I'm leaning toward the "burnt bronze" color they offer.

Edit: if you google "cerakote burnt bronze exhaust" you'll see some good examples.

Comment

I think the color is technically called "burnt bronze". I've been trying to decide and still can't come to a decision, because right now I'm leaning toward the "burnt bronze" color they offer.

Edit: if you google "cerakote burnt bronze exhaust" you'll see some good examples.
                          Oh yeah, that could look good.
                          The color reminds me of hard anodization of aluminum

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

The two 45s I ordered showed up. I think I have a fairly good idea how this is going to work. I will have to trim the black y collector as well as the old exhaust. That way I can get the two 45s to line up just right. My concern is the accuracy of mocking it up and getting it just right. If anyone as some advice how to make sure fitment is great I'd appreciate the advice.

Comment

I got to cutting and liked things up pretty well. Just gotta tack it all together. Also a picture of my cat and it's condition.

Comment

A little more work on exhaust today. I got one of the elbows welded into the exhaust. Slow because I'm a noob at welding also attaching and removing the exhaust is a little slow by myself. Getting there!!

Comment

Working...
                                X