X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Alpine 4 door/5 speed

**New updates on further posts

Non potato pictures on #48

I bought my second e30 in Feb. 2013 from a local r3v member, while at the same time selling my first e30, an alpine '84 eta. I never thought about giving it a thread until now. I can't boast a crazy build or swap, but my goal is make this car reliable, perform well, and a clean well cared for headturner.

It is an Alpine '91 318i 5spd, with 200k+ miles on the chassis, but only had about 50k on the rebuilt m42. Car had a m20 radiator installed, along with rebuilt 4 pintle injectors. Had bilsteins in the rear, other than that the car was pretty much stock down the steel wheels with covers lol.

Here is the car at ABBQ in spring '13. All it had was a roof rack, new shift knob and mint ellipsoids off my previous car.

Added an iS front lip, black kidney's, rear mudflaps, and basketweaves w/snow tires for the upcoming winter

At the shop, having a new exhaust built

Had fun with it during winter last year. Performed well with proper snow tires. The back end is my DD, e39 touring

Now it was time for business. By this point my clutch disk was sheered off so it was replace with a new Sachs kit. Then this happened...
    Properly lowered thanks to help of Mark and Jay at GC. Also added new control arms with poly bushings and Red46 skid plate.

By summer of this year, car was starting to come along. Starter also went out so that was replaced. Also replaced the diff with another 4.10 that was much quieter.

Then a couple weeks ago I just got too tired of weaves and pulled the trigger on new wheels

Bought staggered 16x8/16x9 esm 002r's and had tires mounted last week. Still want to go down another 1/4 inch maybe in all the corners to get it just right. And ya I have a thing for the mudflaps

My buddy and I at BMW Motorfest. I know there is a dent in my fender, I have another fender to go on soon

In short, what I've done this far:
    -New tail lights
    -Elipsoids
    -Shift knob, new center console
    -iS lip
    -fixed bent front valence and resprayed it
    -New fog lights
    -New control arms w/poly bushings
    -Exhaust built from cat back
    -New diff
    -Sprayed rear valence
    -New clutch components
    -Drilled and slotted rotors
    -New rear axles
    -New starter
    -Ground control coilovers w/Koni shocks

Plan is to spend a weekend dealing with my paint and also touching up all the trim, have my extra driveshaft rebuilt and installed, along with some little bodywork. Have a set of euro Hella smileys that I need to fix and install. Interior is nothing special, was originally tan but PO was in the process of converting to black and installed black door cards. Will be putting tan cards back on it to keep the original natur tan and adding sport seats. But overall, it's a solid car, one that I know I will never sell.

I will update this thread with my progress
    Last edited by shameson; 07-20-2015, 11:26 PM.
    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
    '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
    '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
    '91 Alpine 318is

nice progress, nice stance.

Comment

super clean

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
        nice progress, nice stance.
        Originally posted by lambo View Post
        super clean
        Thanks guys!
        '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
        '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Lookin' great!

Comment

Awesome progress! You should consider painting your rockers black.

Comment

Originally posted by Mlarsen View Post
              Awesome progress! You should consider painting your rockers black.
              I'm adding 'is' side skirts soon :p
              '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
              '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Good looking little car. You've done quite a few nice things to it. Keep it up.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Looks great, everyone already knows how I feel about 318i/4's.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                  1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                  2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                    Good looking little car. You've done quite a few nice things to it. Keep it up.
                    Thanks buddy, appreciate the kind words. It has some of your parts on it too lol

I always liked your Zinno sedan and its aggressive look so it was always kinda how I pictured mine.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                    Looks great, everyone already knows how I feel about 318i/4's.
                    I've come to love the little thing, and the look of sedans has grown on me quite a bit. Originally thought I might want to swap out the m42 eventually but idk if I really will. I liked yours too when I first saw your thread on it, especially when you had the style 5's on it, loved the look of it.
                    Last edited by shameson; 09-04-2014, 11:10 PM.
                    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                    '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Looks great!!
                      sigpic
                      1991 318is Alpinweiß II M42

2013 VW Golf R Candy White

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers."

Comment

looks great, wish i was still in the NW.

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

Originally posted by sapurvis View Post
                          Looks great!!

Originally posted by dirtbag30 View Post
                          looks great, wish i was still in the NW.
                          Thanks guys! Ya I love the NW, great place to live. And the e30 community is awesome

On another note, adjusted the rears down to their final spot. Sits perfect IMO. Will get a pic up tomorrow
                          '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                          '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

*Update Time*

Adjusted the coils and got the car sitting where I want it. Really happy with it. BMW center caps look mo betta

Then a few weeks ago my alternator went out while driving. A few days later I replaced added:
                            -Bosch alternator,
                            -Put on new Continental alternator and power steering belts
                            -New intake boot

Wrap it up all up, fire the motor and now the car now wont hold idle. It will stay running as long as you keep it reved above 1k rpms, below that it will die. At this point I know it could be numerous things (tps, crank/cam sensor, dead coils, etc...). Tried a buddy's afm of his 318is with that having no change. I also know numerous things on my car need to be replaced. So why not rip it apart and dig in!

Ordered a crap ton of parts
                            -Bunch of various hoses and lines (some in, some still on the way)
                            -Crankshaft and Camshaft sensors (both on)
                            -Throttle position switch
                            -Valve cover gasket kit (already on)
                            -New spark plugs, ngk of course (all in)
                            -Fuel filter
                            -New ignition coils (just ordered)

While waiting for the last of hoses before I starting putting it all back together, I have to do something. So I gave the intake a nice coat of silver and pulled the valve cover. Nice to see a good looking set of cams.

Wrinkled finished valve cover black with high temp paint and filed the fins. Put it back on with the fresh gasket kit and put in the new spark plugs.

I'm hoping once its all back together the issue will have been fixed. If not... much anger will ensue but at least I will know all this stuff is new
                            Last edited by shameson; 10-16-2014, 07:46 PM.
                            '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                            '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Looks great! Hoping to have my 318i in something of a simple condition next spring! (Damn winter)

Comment

Working...
                              X