Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
    goddamned money.

EDIT: Thread name change cause car is "cool again"?

right? and the car is getting "kinda cool again" ;)
    89 325i 4dr s52
    02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
    21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

I decided to try out the slrspeed camber adapters to help with the caster issue - which it did. I have just enough clearance now to drive the car around finally!

They really only work as suggested if you don't mind drilling out to e36/e46 pattern. I'm kind of torn as the quality is great, but I think I should have saved up for the GC caster/camber plates instead, as I'm running it in the e30 config (with max caster) so the adjustment is at an angle now and I have it maxed out and it feels like the same amount of camber I had before which was barely any but have a bit more caster but could use more to center the wheel in the arch. Basically this piece is probably tits with their full on angle kit on a race car. I'm just trying to fit too much shit on a street car. I'll probably eventually upgrade the plates again, but not in any rush, as I'd have to disassemble/measure everything to send out specs to GC - but this works for now!

I found some 205/40/17 Toyo T888R's (a little more than 1/2 tread life left) locally for cheap. Basically got 4 for less than the price of 2 federal tires, so I got them mounted up on the e36 style 5's. It looks a little ridiculous right now with the free 235/45's on the rear, but I think I'll run a 40 series back there eventually (most likely 235/40).

Took the car on a test drive, and no more rubbing issues at all!! Also, found out my driver side window motor stopped working, so I did the same thing as the pass-side rear motor, (cleaned up the magnet and relubed the assembly) and got it working again. Had to get it mobile since I need to replace the washer/dryer inside the house. LOL!!
      Last edited by s14brent; 08-25-2020, 09:51 PM.
      89 325i 4dr s52

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
        ...Had to get it mobile since I need to replace the washer/dryer inside the house. LOL!!
        Why not just use that big red tow hoop on your front bumper to move the car? In case you can't see it, there's a big red arrow pointing at it. Take it from me, my car's currently inoperable.
        '91 325i

Comment

S14brent, decided on selling after all? I stumbled upon your car on CL

Comment

Originally posted by Tisoc View Post
            S14brent, decided on selling after all? I stumbled upon your car on CL

yeah, I decided to list it up, not in any kind of rush either..I've just been too busy to wrench on it or really enjoy it! You interested? ;D
            89 325i 4dr s52

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
              yeah, I decided to list it up, not in any kind of rush either..I've just been too busy to wrench on it or really enjoy it! You interested? ;D
              If I didn’t have An s52 car, id be all over it. The a/c alone would make me jump ship if I had the means, lol.

Comment

Been a minute since I've paid this car any attention. I've had it up for sale off and on again, only a few real bites, but I've been so busy I couldn't really be distracted with the tire kickers that slipped through.

Anyways, I had a couple friends trying to make the auto-x this weekend so I thought I'd try to go with. Kind of forgot where I left off on this, so I've actually been going back from page 1 and reloading the images (e30 related) so that this build thread wasn't for nothing.

Drove the car around, felt a bit "off".....turns out I had a major tear starting in my mishimoto 3.5" intake boot. I sent a claim to Mishimoto, testing out their "lifetime warranty". As I really don't want to dish out another $113 or whatever it costs now.

I actually found another one (used) locally believe it or not, so i went to swoop it up (3 days after I emailed mishimoto - still waiting to hear back from them on day 6 now).

I tried to get a front end alignment before the weekend but failed miserably. The front end still needs a little adjustment up front, but I want to really order those GC camber/caster plates sooner than later so I don't have to pay for this twice. I also want to replace the front subframe as both tie rods are significantly different (in adjustment). I have a feeling this subframe may have been tweaked since I bought the car, or it may have warped when reinforced. Either way, seems like a lot of extra work so I'll try to just collect parts locally and move at my turtle pace.

I got a buddy with another pair of e46 rear calipers I might pick up soon. I might go ahead with the hydraulic hand brake setup (secondary caliper) since I actually have a majority of the parts needed - including everything to rebuild the calipers, and all the adapters needed for a secondary caliper setup. I've had to keep readjusting the parking brake, and it's just not holding up or grabbing how I like it.

I ended up ripping out the ugly catch can setup, and installed the new-used boot. Hopefully I'll be able to take this thing out sometime soon and have more updates here soon. I've got the itch to pick back up on this thing!!

Last edited by s14brent; 08-25-2020, 09:46 PM.
                89 325i 4dr s52

Comment

Been a while since I did anything to this car, it was 109 the other day here in vegas. I took the car out to hard park with a handful of other e30s last week, had a good time. someone posted up these pics. Last thing i did was clean my air vents and added a rubber o-ring onto the mounts to keep the vents from always falling down lol.

had a fun spirited freeway drive after with a v8 swapped coupe.

Skip to today, i found another e30 guy selling e38 style 5's (16x8 +23) with basically brand new 205/45 BFG G-force Comp2's. I've been meaning to find a 16" wheel to clear e36 m3 front calipers. Now i have plenty of room lock to lock.

Pretty damn happy now with this thing. driving it has been a blast even in the heat!
                  Last edited by s14brent; 08-25-2020, 09:44 PM.
                  89 325i 4dr s52

Comment

Now that looks like a fun car.

Great work
                    OO=[][]=OO
                    @speeedshop
                    @mradams

Comment

Sucks about the mishimito products, I stopped buying from them years ago after 3 radiators they sent me cracked. Lifetime warranty is great and all, but their products seem to require it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAdam View Post
                        Now that looks like a fun car.
                        Great work

Thanks! it's getting there!

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                        Sucks about the mishimito products, I stopped buying from them years ago after 3 radiators they sent me cracked. Lifetime warranty is great and all, but their products seem to require it.

yeah, i was really disappointed with the intake, they also made me pay $40 for shipping which is just outrageous, and it took 2.5-3 weeks to arrive. unacceptable in my opinion. I've had mishimoto radiators in my e36 m3 also, and had no real issues with it for at least 20k miles.

------------------------------------------------

So this has been bugging me for a while, and I got curious enough today about the fortune auto vs slrspeed camber/caster plates and how much they actually helped.

Hopefully this is self explanatory. The only thing wrong with the slrspeed camber/caster plates is that if you don't redrill your tower to e36/e46 pattern, your camber adjustment range will be off. - I sent a few questions over to GC, and found out, "Both versions offer 47mm of negative camber adjustment and 14mm of positive caster adjustment."

So I guess as of now I plan on ordering the GC camber/caster plates maybe next month finally. Meanwhile I barely have enough clearance lock to lock (but it clears), and the wheels fit better with some negative camber in place. (the poke was pretty bad).

I'm so close to having this setup the way I want it, but for those who didn't read in the past, for wider track/drifting don't do e46 LCA's - not entirely worth it when paired with e36 m3 spindle, the extended e36m3 weld-on upgrade is probably the best option, but would need 50mm overfenders/flares up front. I will keep this setup for now just because everything is basically new.
                        Last edited by s14brent; 08-25-2020, 09:54 PM.
                        89 325i 4dr s52

Comment

That looks like a lot of change(>1"?) for just the camber plate. I don't understand how it made such a difference when it's so far from the wheel/control arm pickup points
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

The Treehouse style control arm brackets helps a lot. They bring the rear of the control arm further outboard than any of the other offerings (causing more caster correction than the strut tops will allow). Might be worth looking into.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

He already has AKG adjustable CABs. I'm not sure how adjustable they are, but likely equivalent.
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                                He already has AKG adjustable CABs. I'm not sure how adjustable they are, but likely equivalent.

I built the front struts for this touring in Chile, with regular camber/caster plates and the treehouse style lollipops, the wheel is pretty centered in the wheel well...

Not sure how much offset the AKG allows, but there's a local here using the same with similar results (96+ knuckles, GC camber plates, treehouse style lollipops).
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:
                                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                                X