No announcement yet.

S52 Brilliantrot 318is from Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love this thread. Interesting findings regarding the ZHP rack. So according to rack doctor not all purple tag racks are created equal, with the main difference being the Torsion bar inside of the rack. The ZHP has a heavy torsion bar to add weight aka “steering feel”- sounds like that’s the one you ended up with. It’s likely too heavy for an E30.

Another thing I’ve noticed regarding steering returning to center that doesn’t get brought up much- offset control arm bushings have a pretty large effect on slowing this down. There is a centered bushing with solid rubber that I have been enjoying more than the offset CABs for this reason.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by sixtrita
      Your BMW looks awesome!
      ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Just found your thread, nice one 💪🙌
        88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001
          Just found your thread, nice one 💪🙌
          +1, really nice car and great thread!
          '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            Wow lots of changes since I last saw this thread. What kind of power is your current engine making? A 1500cfm fan, if it really flows 1500cfm, that covers nearly the entire condenser should be plenty for the AC to function well, I think the limiting factor that's causing the coolant temps to rise is the 1300cfm fan behind the radiator. I don't know which fan 24V swap guys run around here, but I thought it flowed more than that.
            Currently, I want to say it'd be making around 190whp - 200whp. I haven't had it on a dyno but based on what I've logged with Romraider it puts me in that ballpark. Hopefully S52 bumps that to around 235whp.

It is a higher quality fan, retail here is about $170. It feels as if it moves air, but I'm measuring this with the palm of my hand. I don't often drive this car, but before changing the stock fan out I had great temps at idle. The only reason for moving the stock fan on was it had a really noisy bearing.

I have noticed the puller fan seems to do next to nothing once it kicks on now, it used to kick on high with the stock aux fan, but I'm guessing it was the aux fan doing most of the work.

Originally posted by AWDBOB
            I love this thread. Interesting findings regarding the ZHP rack. So according to rack doctor not all purple tag racks are created equal, with the main difference being the Torsion bar inside of the rack. The ZHP has a heavy torsion bar to add weight aka “steering feel”- sounds like that’s the one you ended up with. It’s likely too heavy for an E30.

Another thing I’ve noticed regarding steering returning to center that doesn’t get brought up much- offset control arm bushings have a pretty large effect on slowing this down. There is a centered bushing with solid rubber that I have been enjoying more than the offset CABs for this reason.
            I actually think the one I got was fubar, or I did something wrong with install. I won't ever really know, I'm just glad I swapped it out, the E36 rack is great feel wise.

I haven't captured it but I did replace my control arm bushings recently, as the offset superpro ones I had were cracking. I figured this probably wasn't helping with high wheel torque during braking.

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post

+1, really nice car and great thread!
            Thanks! I've been following your thread now for a bit, always get excited when I see an update.

Also, I won't bother trying to quote everyone but thanks for the responses, didn't expect this many. I think reading back through this myself I really need to capture more of what I do. Also reminds me of how many things change in such a short time.

Trying to be sensible here and not get carried away with excessive spending on the car, I'm currently planning out a house build that I would like to share. Once that is finished that should give me some more space, time and money to work on the car. I have a khanacross (I want to say this is similar to auto-x, but we don't really have that here) day coming up in a few weeks, so I might have some updates prepping for that.
            Last edited by jsta1109; 09-10-2020, 03:22 PM.
            IG: https://www.instagram.com/josh.stacey/
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133952286@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              ​​​​​​​
              yes

Comment

Well... looks like the fan isn't going to work out well. Temps weren't coming down in traffic and I had to find a place to park up and let it cool. That gauge is a bit so so, that is probably 110c/230f so I should be fine.

Currently sourcing a stock aux fan, I've got a couple spares here with bad bearings that I might attempt fixing up. I should be able to find a generic bearing and piece it all back together. On top of that I think a shroud would probably help the small puller fan I have.
                Last edited by jsta1109; 04-06-2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

only setup ive found to work with ac is stacking the fans(slim condenser fan/condenser/slim rad fan/rad)

im currently setting up 2 cars with e36 radiator, m20 clutch fan, no expansion tank and radiator cap adapter in the top hose, modified m52 heater pipe, we will see if they work
                  We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by jsta1109 View Post
                    received_801240360687010 by Josh Stacey, on Flickr

Well... looks like the fan isn't going to work out well. Temps weren't coming down in traffic and I had to find a place to park up and let it cool. That gauge is a bit so so, that is probably 110c/230f so I should be fine.

Currently sourcing a stock aux fan, I've got a couple spares here with bad bearings that I might attempt fixing up. I should be able to find a generic bearing and piece it all back together. On top of that I think a shroud would probably help the small puller fan I have.
                    The bearings are replaceable - I did one a few years back & just disassembled the fan & replaced the stock bearing with a sealed SKB bearing of the correct size. The sealed bearing should last a lifetime and the repair only cost about $3.

The stock BMW fans move a surprising amount of air - if you want an upgrade over the standard e30 aux fan, an e32/e34 one is a good upgrade with curved blades + 16 inch diameter.
                    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                      The bearings are replaceable - I did one a few years back & just disassembled the fan & replaced the stock bearing with a sealed SKB bearing of the correct size. The sealed bearing should last a lifetime and the repair only cost about $3. The stock BMW fans move a surprising amount of air - if you want an upgrade over the standard e30 aux fan, an e32/e34 one is a good upgrade with curved blades + 16 inch diameter.
                      I just went and did this, replaced the fan and everything is working great again. Car isn't overheating and aircon is working. I went and purchased a 5 blade aux fan, paid next to nothing for this. Replacing the bearing was simple, drilled the 4 rivets out on the bearing retainer and the bearing just fell out. Bearing was a SKF 6001, found a generic replacement at my local parts shop for $9. Dropped the bearing in, threw two tack welds in place of the rivets and reassembled. Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

jsta1109 - thanks for posting the pic of the bearing. Just so happens I am about to take my 5 blade fan apart to change the bearing and I happened upon your post...saved me some time getting it ordered before disassembly.

FYI - ebay has many legit bearing suppliers who have this in stock for about $8 shipped. You can also find versions with the rubber seals (C3 designation) and metal shields (ZZ designation).

Car is looking great and you have done a ton of super clean work.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                          jsta1109 - thanks for posting the pic of the bearing. Just so happens I am about to take my 5 blade fan apart to change the bearing and I happened upon your post...saved me some time getting it ordered before disassembly.

FYI - ebay has many legit bearing suppliers who have this in stock for about $8 shipped. You can also find versions with the rubber seals (C3 designation) and metal shields (ZZ designation).

Car is looking great and you have done a ton of super clean work.

MJ
                          Glad it helped someone.

I got the bearing locally just to save time on shipping, it does appear to be a high quality sealed bearing, should last quite some time.

The 5 blade fan looks to be the easiest to do this on, undo the reverse thread nut, pull the blades off and drill the retainer plate out. I had a curved blade fan that I could't quite separate and another spare motor that I couldn't easily remove the bearing from.

Comment

received_3298530780204298 by Josh Stacey, on Flickr
                            received_305988120615920 by Josh Stacey, on Flickr

I purchased some premium speakers that looked okay online, they were priced pretty well and I think the rear deck looks really nice. Turns out the woofers are blown, I can't get them to work or respond to a 9v battery. I can't seem to find any decent 5.25 splits to go in their place, trying to source replacements is proving either difficult or rather expensive. We never got these in Australia, at least I don't think we did as I very rarely see them.

Comment

I may have the same issue awaiting for me. I haven't tested my rear speakers yet. Here's a couple of 5.25 split sets:

Alpine SPG-13CS
                              Alpine SPR-50C
                              Ground Zero GZRC 130AL
                              Pioneer TS-G130C

Granted, I haven't measured how much room there is for the woofer. Some of these are quite a bit chunkier than the original elements.

E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Originally posted by Skarpa View Post
                                I may have the same issue awaiting for me. I haven't tested my rear speakers yet. Here's a couple of 5.25 split sets:

Alpine SPG-13CS
                                Alpine SPR-50C
                                Ground Zero GZRC 130AL
                                Pioneer TS-G130C

Granted, I haven't measured how much room there is for the woofer. Some of these are quite a bit chunkier than the original elements.
                                I ended up finding some E36 40w woofers for $10, not sure how I will go about adapting them but I'm sure I will work it out once they're shipped to me.

I went to a motorkhana day (auto cross ish) and had a blast, the open diff was a huge letdown and a big smoke show. I really do need to get the ZF+LSD in, possibly would of helped if I had lowered the rear more and unhooked the rear sway bar.

There should be some more photos coming.
                                Last edited by jsta1109; 04-06-2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X