My E30 Rehabilitation! ft. Boost Noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post

Heya dude, I didn't choose any options for my turbo beyond what you already have listed. .83/A/R T3 open turbine housing, w/S257 BW supercore I think they call it. It's been a great turbo so far, no issues to complain about. I just bought it off Amazon as it was the cheapest place I could find the turbo at the time, I suppose the only real option I was looking for was a vband outlet for the turbine housing. Compressor elbow is if you want an elbow welded off the end of the turbo compressor outlet. I just used a small silicone elbow for this. I thinkkkk the T51R mod is just for style points, makes the turbo whistle louder.

Yeah, don't buy mint performance... the owner is awful and quality has gone down hill after a lead fabricator left. I recommend not cheaping out on a manifold if you plan on putting miles on the car, $182 for a manifold is way too cheap. If I did it again I would for sure go with PPF, they make a quality product and pump out insane hp cars all day.

Good luck with the build! I recommend doing lots of research and understanding how a turbo system works as much as possible before taking the plunge :). The noises alone are worth it!
    Will do lol. I actually ended up finding a fully assembled turbo kit from a company called kamotors, on a shop called sevenspeedshop, for about 3700. Stock turbo can make about 10 psi, so plan is buy the kit and maybe try to get a bigger turbo that fits the kit, and also get a haltech so I can go through and fine tune everything to my liking, see if I can find anybody to help me make an antilag tune for it. I want to build my m20 to see how much power I can make out of it, so we’ll see what it makes when all is said and done. 😎. The things you answered to were definitely helpful so a big thanks for answering my questions!

Comment

Originally posted by JDM View Post

Will do lol. I actually ended up finding a fully assembled turbo kit from a company called kamotors, on a shop called sevenspeedshop, for about 3700. Stock turbo can make about 10 psi, so plan is buy the kit and maybe try to get a bigger turbo that fits the kit, and also get a haltech so I can go through and fine tune everything to my liking, see if I can find anybody to help me make an antilag tune for it. I want to build my m20 to see how much power I can make out of it, so we’ll see what it makes when all is said and done. 😎. The things you answered to were definitely helpful so a big thanks for answering my questions!
      Glad it helped!

Comment

Small update, August was brutally hot so didn't get too much car work done, but still managed a bit of tinkering / tuning changes.

Even after my last tuning session, a hard start persisted so I decided to start messing with the crank pulse curve. I noticed I was smelling fuel on start up at the tail pipe and I typically had to pump the pedal to get the car started quicker. A bit of research indicated this is a sign my crank pulse settings are too rich... pulled 8% fuel out of the curve and the car has been starting right up. Hopefully it stays that way :)

I've also reduced the TPS lag factor to increase the TPS noise filtering in the megasquirt, this has resulted in major drivability improvements and has helped light throttle. However, I think this is a bandaide... has anyone had issues with TPS precision with their Megasquirt?

I don't recommend running around without a turbo blanket lol ... Managed to cook a couple of my plug wires, mmmm crispy

Remade all my plug wires in my living room to stay out of the heat. This was a bit of a blessing anyway, because I wasn't feeling confident in the plug boot connections.

New wires installed, no more spark blow out!

Went to visit a buddy of mine in Philly and he gifted me a vanilla bean E30

Went out for a rip with the boys!

White car is LS swapped, red is S54 swapped. Between the three of us there were a ton a great noises tearing down Lime Creek Road

I have officially put 10k miles on the car since installing the turbo setup and over 50k miles during my ownership. That feels good

Comment

Edit: In my last post I claimed this car was starting right up, this car is in fact, not starting right up... such a fickle beast. It randomly hard starts over half the time, the only consistency I get from it is when I let it sit for a few days and then start it, boom fires right off. I need to do some more investigation into the megasquirt start up settings, maybe adjusting the priming pulse will be the key to consistent starts.

Comment

Working...
          X