Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

formyhealth - 1991 318is Build Thread - now with 1000% more 1JZ-GTE

2019 update!

Still building (haha jk it's sitting in the shop) but I'm making parts and solidifying a plan to help me get on with the build.

some pictures of recent progress:

z3 rack installed
    https://i.imgur.com/dCxQJoH.jpg

welded up motor mounts and motor mount ears
    https://imgur.com/OGg5p9x
    https://imgur.com/xLBP4zc

and the 2016 Ecoboost 2.0l I purchased with 9,000 miles on it
    https://imgur.com/wLcF5sf

So I am new here with a new-to-me 1991 318is, I have cross posted this over at bimmerforums but I figured it may get more love over here.

About the car, I purchased it for $1300 with unknown miles, the PO said the odometer quit around 240,000 or so. It's got plenty of issues, which I'll work out over the coming months.

UPDATE
    I finally finished installing the subframe, trailing arm and differential bushings and I must say on first impressions that.... IT'S AWESOME! Like a totally new car really, it's so tight and nimble now, I haven't pushed it yet because I am still feeling it out. I almost killed it backing out of the driveway because of how tight the differential is now. Before it was all sloppy so I had to be nice with the clutch, but now, now it's instantaneous on off throttle, it's just great.

On a scale of 1-10 difficulty, I'd rate it about a 7, it's just time consuming and at no point did I ever feel like I was stuck. WELL, except for when I got it all bolted back together and realized I didn't reinstall the rear springs.. DOH!

I'll update in a few days with some action video maybe, if I can find some good empty gravel roads.

Engine:

Engine mounts - Installed
    Transmission mounts - Installed
    (4) BMW Coils - Installed
    Spark plugs - Installed
    Intake manifold runner gasket - Installed
    Intake manifold plenum gasket - Installed
    Throttle body gasket - Installed
    Engine temp sending unity - Installed
    Air Filter - installed
    AFM (reconditioned) - installed
    TPS sensor - installed
    Throttle cable -installed

Suspension:

Refurbished steering rack (Z3 1.8) - Installed
    Left and right steel control arms (front) - Installed
    Tie rod assm. (left and right) - Installed
    Front Poly bushings (control arms) - Installed
    Brake rotors and pads(front and rear) - Installed
    Rear trailing arm bushes (Poly) - Installed
    Subframe bushes (Poly) - Installed
    Front swaybar bushings (powerflex Poly)- Installed
    Front swaybar links- Installed
    rear swaybar bushings (powerflex Poly)- purchased
    rear swaybar links - purchased

Interior:
    New Shift Knob - installed
    Sparco r100 black vinyl (2) - Installed

So here is where I am:

My boss gifted me some really oldschool Hella fog lights from the early 80's that he had on an old Datsun, also gave me new in package 100w bulbs from Japan which I believe are illegal here in the states, but for offroad use only it may be ok..

So todays adventure was extracting a broken off key in the drivers side door lock. The removal of the door lock wasn't that bad but disassembling and then reassembling the lock cylinder was a chore with all those tiny fiddly parts. Alas, I managed and now have a "working" door lock. Parts for brakes and suspension should be showing up Monday of next week so I'll post then.

Todays adventure was disassembling (and cleaning) the throttle body, intake runners and manifold to clean up the "mess under the intake" and try and track down that code 1222. Gaskets will arrive Tuesday or Wednesday of next week so I'll update when those arrive for some more pictures.

Todays adventure was cleaning the intake manifold runners where they meet the head flange and also cleaning the gunk out of the injector orifices. They were almost completely covered with oily gunk, it was nasty and I went through 2 cans of degreaser, they aren't perfect but the results are amicable for me.

Before:

After:

Update for today, installed 4 new OEM coils, don't know if I needed them but figured it wouldn't hurt. (maybe the wallet..)

Lots of parts showed up today from Husker BMW, gaskets, spark plugs, engine mounts, transmission mounts etc.

On partial reassembly I wanted to check out the intake ports, they look alright, much cleaner than the intake runners for some reason. Maybe because of the heat difference? Any how I am ok with how they look and didn't attempt to clean them.

Suspension components show up tomorrow so I'll update then, waiting on fuel line so I can button up the engine and try and start it. My goal is to have it running by this weekend, fingers crossed!

Some parts showed up today, Febi control arms, BMW motor mounts, Powerflex lollipop bushings and sway bar bushings, sway bar end links front and rear and a few other misc parts.

installed control arms and bushings on the passenger side first, hopefully the drivers side goes easier since there isn't an exhaust manifold in the way because that was a huge pain in the ass.

I was struggling trying to pull the lollipops off of the control arms so I pulled out my ball joint tool, it worked to an extent and then I had to hammer on it for about 20 minutes to free it.

I'll try to do the drivers side tomorrow, oh I forgot, also installed the new motor mounts as well just didn't take a picture.

Today I painted the front passenger side fender that was replaced due to an accident by the PO. I used a kit from a place called "Scratch Wizards" out of Tigard Oregon. The kit is a modest $49.99 and comes with an aerosol can of primer, base coat and clear coat, also a scouring pad, small tube of body filler and oil and grease remover. I think it is worth the price and allowed me to repaint my entire fender with some leftover for small touchups.

Before:

After:

Last edited by formyhealth; 01-29-2019, 12:48 PM.

Keep up the hard work we in the small boat just different color cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    91 318is "under construction"
    2007 328i - daily
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sketchkid View Post
      Keep up the hard work we in the small boat just different color cars

Thanks dude I will, are you having issues regarding code 1222?

I've got some updates coming this weekend probably, new steering wheel, maybe install the new steering rack and tierods too.

Comment

Well right now I'm doing mess under the intake so hopefully that helps

2007 328i - daily
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sketchkid View Post
          Well right now I'm doing mess under the intake so hopefully that helps

I hear you, I struggled with the "mess under the intake" and feel like I sort of half assed it, but everything seems to be sealed up.

Good luck with yours!

Comment

Ya I'm try to do my best

2007 328i - daily
            sigpic

Comment

So I have started prepping the car for a repaint, I have sanded about half of it so far just down through the clear so the new base coat has some thing to stick to. I am going to respray it the same Alpine White as it is now just to clean it up. The paint wasn't to bad but there are a few pretty small dents that I wanted to fill. Also, I am going to shave the side trim, fill the clip holes with weld and then bondo it up.

I'll post up some pics of the progress this weekend.

Comment

if you're painting it yourself I advise to spray it in direct gloss.. A lot less headaches de-nibbing. No worries about shit in the BC then.
                Boris - 89 E30 325i
                84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
                  if you're painting it yourself I advise to spray it in direct gloss.. A lot less headaches de-nibbing. No worries about shit in the BC then.
                  Thank you for the advice, I got an enamel paint from a place up in Portland, seems like quality stuff and was little $$ so if it gets all screwy I'm not out much.

What's BC?

Thanks!

Comment

Sounds like youre local. Welcome to the boards! Nice car I'll be watching her come back to life.
                    -Nick
                    Originally posted by 87e30
                    First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler View Post
                      Sounds like youre local. Welcome to the boards! Nice car I'll be watching her come back to life.
                      Thank you for the welcome, super nice looking M5! That's a dream car for me definitely.

- Danny

Comment

great progress. makes me want to pull my injectors and clean.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                          great progress. makes me want to pull my injectors and clean.
                          Thank you, it's been a chore but its worth it, they were NASTY!

Comment

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
                            Thank you for the advice, I got an enamel paint from a place up in Portland, seems like quality stuff and was little $$ so if it gets all screwy I'm not out much.

What's BC?

Thanks!
                            Yeh its a heap more forgiving, any crap that lands in the paint you can rub off with 2000 and polish it out and you wont see it.

BC is an abbreviation for Base Coat.. so BC/CC paint systems contains your base coat and then your clear coat over that. Anything that lands in your basecoat when its cannot be removed once the clear coat goes on so its really important the BC stays clean.. Which is hard to do without a booth. Its doable but my lord is it a pain in the ass. You need to sand the nibs out, then re apply blending the basecoat which sometimes leads to redoing that panel to get it to blend correctly.

DG just means direct gloss so no clear
                            Boris - 89 E30 325i
                            84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
                              Yeh its a heap more forgiving, any crap that lands in the paint you can rub off with 2000 and polish it out and you wont see it.

BC is an abbreviation for Base Coat.. so BC/CC paint systems contains your base coat and then your clear coat over that. Anything that lands in your basecoat when its cannot be removed once the clear coat goes on so its really important the BC stays clean.. Which is hard to do without a booth. Its doable but my lord is it a pain in the ass. You need to sand the nibs out, then re apply blending the basecoat which sometimes leads to redoing that panel to get it to blend correctly.

DG just means direct gloss so no clear

Cool! Thank you for the info, I am certainly a novice painter so I know it won't be flawless, and frankly I am OK with that because after all gravel and dirt roads that I'll be throwing the car around will do their fair share of paint damage.

I'll post up some high res pics when I am finished so you can let me know how I did so I can improve in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X