Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
    Great picture Mike, I really like this one! Great with the reflection of the windows.
    Adding the rear headrests is a nice addition to the car as well
    Thanks! I'm hoping that in 2021 I'll start having the opportunity to photograph new/other cars at some new/other locations. I've been following your touring build and the steering rack and subframe work is fantastic!

Comment

Hey mike.bmw , random quick question for ya : I ordered a Sports steering wheel very similar to yours. I was wondering, when you installed yours, did you use a spacer? I wasn't sure how it'd fit on a car that currently has an airbag steering wheel. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by AlpinStar View Post
        Hey mike.bmw , random quick question for ya : I ordered a Sports steering wheel very similar to yours. I was wondering, when you installed yours, did you use a spacer? I wasn't sure how it'd fit on a car that currently has an airbag steering wheel. Thanks!
        Hey AlpinStar !

Here are some tips for installation:
        - Disconnect the battery! :-). This will prevent the airbag from discharging as well as allow you to unplug the SRS system under the dash if you don't want the SRS fault light on.
        - For airbag equipped cars you will need an additional spacer (part # 32311120260). Installation looks like this -> existing spacer, steering wheel, additional spacer, washer, nut.
        - For airbag equipped cars you will need to pull the white, spring loaded plastic peg out. I used vice grips to clamp down on the white peg and gave it a good pull. Save this if you want to revert back to stock.
        - To pull the existing steering wheel put your key in the ignition in the accessory position. This will disable the steering wheel lock/tab allowing you to pull the wheel.
        - If you remove the lower knee pad under the steering wheel and disconnect the 3 connectors going to the orange box (the SRS module), you will not have a blinking SRS light. Also, this method prevents any faults from being stored in the SRS (because it's unplugged). If you reinstall the airbag wheel at some point you'll just need to reconnect the whole system before hooking up the battery again. Yes, there's an SRS reset procedure.

Hope this helps!

And just because, some random photos I've taken recently...

DSC_0724 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0779 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

One my daughter took...

IMGP7661 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

And one I took of the wagon...

DSC_0834 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Mike - thanks for the info on the steering wheel swap process! Sorry if I missed the part about the spacer earlier in your thread. Looking forward to doing the swap myself.

And great photos, as always! Nice sunsets/sunrises.

Comment

Have shortened bump stops, will travel (suspension)

TLDR; I'm dumb and I should've trimmed my front bump stops two years ago when I installed my current suspension setup.

Looking back through this thread, it was November of 2018 when I overhauled my suspension. New springs, shocks, hardware, mounts, and bump stops. The H&R OE Sport Springs (key being "OE") are supposed to have a stock-ish ride height. The BMW bump stops weren't available at the time, so I ordered a set of KYB SB105 bump stops and bellows to fit my Bilstein B4 fronts. I installed everything and all was well. The ride was much improved over the garbage "Stagg" setup the previous owner had installed.

After thousands of miles, long tours with NCC BMW CCA, and multiple track days I realized the front suspension didn't have much compression travel. Well, after some measurements and investigation, the KYB bump stops were much too tall. The bump stops were being engaged/contacted with very little travel. So I trimmed an inch off and the ride is now greatly improved. I'll probably order a better suited, correctly sized set of bump stops whenever I get around to taking the front suspension apart again. For now, trimming them has done the trick.

Removed:
            20210120_162631 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

What's left:
            20210121_162630 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

E30 Photo Shoots

I think it was sometime early in 2020 that I connected with a local E30 via Instagram. We don't live far from each other, but despite regularly driving our E30s, we never saw each other around town. This past weekend we decided to meet up for some photos on a VERY cold morning. This also gave me an opportunity to play around with my new (to me) Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens, though I didn't have a CPL filter in the correct size for this lens at the time.

Here are some shots of my 318is alongside Douglas' (dhlerner) stunning 325i cirrus blau sedan (2mAn 's favorite), equipped with H&R Sport spring, Konis, EWW BBS RS wheels, a manual swap, a fresh interior, and more! Super cool car for sure.

CPL filter rotated to see through the windshield:
              DSC_0769 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

CPL filter rotated to reduce reflections on the fender and side panels:
              DSC_0774 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0715 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0798 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0814 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0808 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0733 by mike.bevels, on Flickr
              Last edited by mike.bmw; 01-27-2021, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                E30 Photo Shoots

Here are some shots of my 318is along Douglas' stunning 325i cirrus blau sedan (2mAn 's favorite), equipped with H&R Sport spring, Konis, EWW BBS RS wheels, a manual swap, a fresh interior, and more! Super cool car for sure.

CPL filter rotated to see through the windshield:
                DSC_0769 by mike.bevels, on Flickr
                Those are some cool camera tricks, and yes... something about Cirrusblau just looks special to me and with the BBS wheels...

Ive been tempted to find my way back into a sedan soon, but Im going to wait ~6-9 months so I hit my "keep em for about a year" boredom time and we'll see whats up...
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Mike, I’m loving these shots. It was great to finally meet you and see your car in person. Let’s do it again...when it’s a little warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by dhlerner View Post
                    Mike, I’m loving these shots. It was great to finally meet you and see your car in person. Let’s do it again...when it’s a little warmer.
                    Thanks, Douglas! A good time for sure. Thanks for standing out in the cold for so long. I'm definitely looking forward to warmer weather and new locations for photos!

Comment

Great shots! Both cars look great!

Mmm! Late body cirrus sedan will be my next E30!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Not much to report. We've had a few weekends of snow and ice, which results in lots of brine and salt on the roads, which results in the E30 staying in the garage. So I've been taking photos...

DSC_0726 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Engine bay:

DSC_0954 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0948 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

RS001s and turbofans:

DSC_0803 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0806 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0782 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Interior:

DSC_0975 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0989 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Tucked away during a recent ice storm:

DSC_0983 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

I thought this was kinda cool. E30 inception: Manny reading the article I wrote about his E30 from inside his E30. (He sent me the photo.)

received_740249623564486 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

The Vintage, HPDEs, NCC BMW CCA Tours, and a local concours event are all on the calendar. Can't wait!
                        Last edited by mike.bmw; 02-26-2021, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Have you check out Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix? Looks like a good event.

Going to clean up engine cosmoline?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                            Have you check out Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix? Looks like a good event.

Going to clean up engine cosmoline?
                            I haven't checked out the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix yet, but I'd like to! It does look like an awesome event from the photos I've seen.

Yeah, I'd like to clean the cosmoline at some point. Or paint the valve cover and intake manifold. I've had them off a couple of times, but haven't gotten around to painting them. I might be pulling all of that apart relatively soon, so we'll see. :-)

In other news, I got my car state-inspected today! I don't put antique plates on it because I drive it everywhere, which means I need to get a state inspection. This place is less than a mile from my house and I'm friends with the inspector. Up until recently he had a super nice 318i vert - manual with hard top. It was good chatting with him during the inspection.

20210305_123526 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

In other other news, I wrote an article for the current issue of der Bayerische - (full article here: https://www.nxtbook.com/mercury/derB...ndex.php#/p/10)

Mar_Apr_21_dB_Mercury_4 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

And I also wrote something for the 2021 Spring/Summer BimmerLife (South Atlantic Region)!

3-2021-BimmerLife-South-Atlantic-Edition-COMPRESSED-cover by mike.bevels, on Flickr

3-2021-BimmerLife-South-Atlantic-Edition-COMPRESSED-NCC-1 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

3-2021-BimmerLife-South-Atlantic-Edition-COMPRESSED-NCC-2 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

FCP Euro's #FCPEuroMadness Contest

I entered FCP Euro's #FCPEuroMadness contest last night. If R3V'ers wouldn't mind taking the time to vote, I'd much appreciate it!

Voting requires an email address and subsequent email confirmation, so if you make it that far, you are truly awesome.

Link to vote for me: http://wshe.es/FyeXaEwO
                              All entries: https://6c804f2e.wishpondpages.com/fcpeuromadness/

Photo that I entered (slightly updated):

DSC_0527 (1) by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Spring is Near

Now that the salt and brine is mostly off the roads, the 318is rides again (it was only in the garage for a few weeks). Avery will be helping me with an oil change this weekend (after a long drive). I did manage to get out for some photos in new spots this morning, despite the subfreezing temps.

DSC_0872 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0881 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0899 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0929 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

#FCPEuroMadness
                                I made the bracket of 64 in the FCP Euro contest! I had the second most votes to get into the bracket, so thanks to everyone that voted. It means a lot.

They released the bracket today and I'm up against another 318is in the first round, and a stellar one at that. If there are any instagram users here, follow FCP Euro on Tuesday, keep an eye on their stories, and cast your vote!

Check out the full bracket here: https://www.commoninja.com/brackets/...2-97d4153e6288

Round 1:
                                bracket_1615757390520 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Mileage Milestone
                                This happened today:
                                20210314_125620 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

20210314_125722 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Yes, synching my trip meter was one of the first things I did when I got the car.

Photos with friends

I met up with Douglas and his '89 sedan again yesterday. Photos commenced!

DSC_0913 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0926 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0940 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0942 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0997 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_1026 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_1084 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0967 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Cars and Coffee

I went to a Cars and Coffee event for the first time (in forever?). Alpine White E30s... go!

DSC_0906 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0905 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0916 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0907 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

One of these things is not like the other...

DSC_0909 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Oil Change

Avery and I knocked out an oil change.

20210306_142130 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Upcoming Fun

Next weekend I'll be taking Avery on another NCC Tour. The day after I'll be photographing a Pebble Beach winning BMW! More to come!
                                Last edited by mike.bmw; 03-15-2021, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X