No announcement yet.

Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was good to see you this morning, Mike. Car looked great, as always!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

This should be on a nice set of coilovers. It totally deserves it.

Comment

Thanks, all!

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
        This should be on a nice set of coilovers. It totally deserves it.
        Respectfully disagree. ;D

This is exactly how I want my car to sit. I spent a significant amount of time researching springs, shocks, mounts, etc and refurbished most of the suspension. If I did go the coilover route, I'd raise the car to it's current height, pick dampening settings similar to the Bilsteins on the car, and choose a spring rate similar to the H&R OE Sport Springs. :)

I don't disagree that a lowered E30 looks great, but it's just not something I want to do with this car.

Comment

Safety First!

freeride53 recently inspired me to get a fire extinguisher based on a post in his thread. It's something I've been meaning to do since I bought the car (after recognizing and replacing all the leaking fuel lines). I just never spent the time researching brackets and extinguishers until last week.

I ended up with The Bracketeer and a Buckeye 13315. The Bracketeer is a universal fire extinguisher mount and the Buckeye extinguisher had good ratings and came with a vehicle mount.

Initially I mounted it driver's side, but then decided to move it to the passenger side. I modified the bracket so that it could be bolted to the seat rails. The way I've mounted this it does prevent the seat from moving all the way forward, but the does still have a good amount of forward movement. It also allows the seat to be tilted forward to so I can get the kids in their car seats.

Moved to passenger side:

So for less than $100 I have a fire extinguisher mounted in the car. Hopefully I never have to use it.
          Last edited by mike.bmw; 07-26-2019, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Mike you have a pm
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              Thanks, all!

Respectfully disagree. ;D

This is exactly how I want my car to sit. I spent a significant amount of time researching springs, shocks, mounts, etc and refurbished most of the suspension. If I did go the coilover route, I'd raise the car to it's current height, pick dampening settings similar to the Bilsteins on the car, and choose a spring rate similar to the H&R OE Sport Springs. :)

I don't disagree that a lowered E30 looks great, but it's just not something I want to do with this car.
              I can respect that.

I have a super low car and I don't like it, but I do like the performance it yeilds in certain driving conditions. To find the sweet spot between those two is what I'm referring to I guess. For example my e91 is on stock suspension and the height is perfect, but definitely needs some stiffer springs and that's hard to get without dropping the car a little. Coilovers I feel could encompass both ideas in one without much compromise between the two.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Haha nice! Better safe than sorry. Jealous of your “correct” 318is Natur perforated sport seats and beautiful shape. My sport seats (though saved my life in my old car’s wreck) are ugly Pearl beige.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Nice work with the extinguisher, been thinking about installing one and this is one of the nicer, cleaner setups I've seen
                  '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                    Haha nice! Better safe than sorry. Jealous of your “correct” 318is Natur perforated sport seats and beautiful shape. My sport seats (though saved my life in my old car’s wreck) are ugly Pearl beige.
                    Thanks! The seats are in pretty good condition, except the driver's side bolster next to the door. The vinyl is cracking and needs to be replaced. I may just replace that section if I can find something that matches. I think the Pearl Beige looks good too!

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                    Nice work with the extinguisher, been thinking about installing one and this is one of the nicer, cleaner setups I've seen
                    Thanks! The mount has been solid and rattle free. The only change I've made is I've rotated the extinguisher so the handle would face the floor. It's pretty much out of sight, but still easy to access. The only modification I had to make to the bracket was cutting off the ends of the U shaped brackets. Ideally I'd make new brackets that would fit/reach UNDER the sliders so that the bracket wouldn't prevent full forward movement. Either mounting option, the extinguisher would be in the way so the seat can never go fully forward.

Comment

Looks great Mike!
                      1991 318is
                      2004 330ci
                      2011 335d

Comment

The Vintage 2020

I booked my room at the Clarion! I'll be bringing my wife. My kids will have 3 spoiled/pampered days at Grandma's house. Very excited to attend my first Vintage!

HPDE Prep

I'm registered for the 2 day BMW CCA NCC HPDE next month. I'll be taking my car to RRT for the required tech inspection (RRT does this for free) and an alignment (because I still haven't done this).

What's that smell?

I've been tracking down an intermittent fuel smell. I tightened down all the hose clamps in the engine bay. I inspected under the rear seat. Everything looks good and the smell hasn't come back. Very clean under the rear seat!

Dash Protection

After swapping in a crack free dash nearly 2 years ago, I've become very dash-crack conscious. I apply 303 on a regular basis. I always use a sunshade when parked. I picked up a Dashmat (limited version from Covercraft). The fitment is so-so. It does a good job of keeping the dash cool while driving on long trips in direct sun. It rolls up and stored easily when not in use. For $35 shipped from Advance Auto Parts, it's not a bad deal.

Garage Organization

I've found some time to thoroughly go through my garage and organize it. Things are binned by type (paints, lubricants, new car parts, old car parts, and so on). I moved a few things around based on frequency of access. It's always nice to work in a clean, organized garage.

Fresh_TD snapped this when I was leaving C&C the other day.

And I got this one parked near his super clean E21.

Last edited by mike.bmw; 08-12-2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Nice pics Mike. As always, very clean e30.

Comment

Where is vintage again? Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                              Where is vintage again? Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                              Asheville, NC Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
                              '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                              '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

What are the dates for the Vintage? Can't seem to find it online and want to request off of work now so I don't miss another one.

Also, very jealous of your C&C's, I wish we had something like that around the Raleigh area. I haven't been able to come across much on the local interwebs.
                                '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X