No announcement yet.

Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your car looks amazing, flawless. Great job on the purchase.

$250 is pretty standard for a diff.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

If you don't have plans for a swap later on, find a small case 4.10. They tend to be cheaper than the medium case diffs because M42 cars are the only ones that can run them. Output shaft seals and cover gasket are probably the two things that I would do before putting a new diff in my car. I just did these on a medium case diff I put in my car, the only thing I wish I would have done is the diff stud conversion!

This link goes over the output shaft seals pretty well: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=71115

Garagistic makes a stud kit: https://store.garagistic.com/BMW-dif...=differential; as does Revshift: http://www.revshift.com/product-p/dss-12.htm

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
        Your car looks amazing, flawless. Great job on the purchase.

$250 is pretty standard for a diff.
        Thanks for the kind words and the diff information!

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
        If you don't have plans for a swap later on, find a small case 4.10. They tend to be cheaper than the medium case diffs because M42 cars are the only ones that can run them. Output shaft seals and cover gasket are probably the two things that I would do before putting a new diff in my car. I just did these on a medium case diff I put in my car, the only thing I wish I would have done is the diff stud conversion!

This link goes over the output shaft seals pretty well: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=71115

Garagistic makes a stud kit: https://store.garagistic.com/BMW-dif...=differential; as does Revshift: http://www.revshift.com/product-p/dss-12.htm
        Thanks for the info! I didn't know those stud kits existed. Seems like a must as I'm sure it would take a long time to line up the bolts without a stud kit in place.

Comment

An LSD in a 318is is a must, I've had 3 of these cars and the 3rd was without so I sourced and swapped in a medium case 4.10 I highly recommend rebuilding it!!! I have a 3 clutch rebuilt one and the difference in contrast to a worn 200k 2 clutch one is night and day different. if you do yourself you are looking at $500-700 in parts and you need to know how to deal with the gear lash pre load etc. if you have it outsourced around 1100-1400 is the norm.
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
          IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Huge advocate on the LSD, and please stay 4.10.

I like the small case diffs. Keep the car light and nimble. That is the name of the 318iS game.
            world renown Harry Potter expert
            sigpic

Comment

I'm running an S3.73 on mine. I do lots of hwy driving so its perfect for me, and 1st gear is actually useful now. Can't feel the difference from the 4.10 to the 3.73. mike.bmw, I ran into you up at the cars and coffee a while back. I was with my daughter that day, and I was driving the Alpine white 318is (Slick top) with the Z1 steering wheel. We talked for a bit that morning. Your car is looking great!!
              '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
              '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                An LSD in a 318is is a must, I've had 3 of these cars and the 3rd was without so I sourced and swapped in a medium case 4.10 I highly recommend rebuilding it!!! I have a 3 clutch rebuilt one and the difference in contrast to a worn 200k 2 clutch one is night and day different. if you do yourself you are looking at $500-700 in parts and you need to know how to deal with the gear lash pre load etc. if you have it outsourced around 1100-1400 is the norm.
                Thanks for the info! I've started to look around. Aside from ebay, craigslist, and car-parts.com (searches breaker yards) I'm not sure where else to look for one.

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                Huge advocate on the LSD, and please stay 4.10.

I like the small case diffs. Keep the car light and nimble. That is the name of the 318iS game.
                Yeah, I'm leaning towards 4.10 for the reasons you mentioned, but also because 4.10 is what the car came with. We'll see what turns up.

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                I'm running an S3.73 on mine. I do lots of hwy driving so its perfect for me, and 1st gear is actually useful now. Can't feel the difference from the 4.10 to the 3.73. mike.bmw, I ran into you up at the cars and coffee a while back. I was with my daughter that day, and I was driving the Alpine white 318is (Slick top) with the Z1 steering wheel. We talked for a bit that morning. Your car is looking great!!
                Hey! I do remember you and your car. I remember both (you and the car) being very nice. :)

I take my daughter occasionally too. She loves going to car shows!

Do you know of any good local places to pick up an LSD? I sent Dan @ Zimmerman Automotive an email earlier today. They usually have a ton of e30 parts in stock.

Comment

Message amiller07 asap I'm certain he can help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                  IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

Hey! I do remember you and your car. I remember both (you and the car) being very nice. :)

I take my daughter occasionally too. She loves going to car shows!

Do you know of any good local places to pick up an LSD? I sent Dan @ Zimmerman Automotive an email earlier today. They usually have a ton of e30 parts in stock.
                    I actually got my S3.73 from Dan. He normally has a lot of e30 parts available, but I haven't talked to him in a while. I can PM you his number if you'd like. Troll CL as well..something always pops up in there. Also consider an S3.91 out of an ix, it's a good compromise, if you're having a hard time finding an S4.10.

Comment

I haven't found an LSD yet. Dan @ Zimmerman Automotive didn't have any last I checked. I'll continue to look.

I'm trying to prioritize my list of things to do with the car. Here's what I have at the moment (in no particular order):
                      1. 4.10 LSD (current diff needs a new bushing)
                      2. New headunit (something with hands free calling / bluetooth streaming)
                      3. New OEM IS front lip and rear spoiler + paint (The original rear spoiler paint is in terrible condition. The original front IS lip has seen better days)
                      4. Tires! I'll probably get 5 to replace the original spare tire. The choices in OEM size are crap. I may go with these: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=195
                      5. SI Board replacement (My cluster functions fine, but the 'Inspection' light comes on a day after clearing it)
                      6. Reseal timing cover (small oil leak that leaves a drop of oil overnight)

Comment

Awesome! another VA owner.

The car looks amazing, you do things how I'd love to do them.

I just purchased a 325ci this week and will be picking it up this weekend finally. can't wait to jump into working on it like you have on yours!

Are you in NovA? I'm in Fairfax. Maybe we can get some guys together for a meet at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by quanaman View Post
                          Awesome! another VA owner.

The car looks amazing, you do things how I'd love to do them.

I just purchased a 325ci this week and will be picking it up this weekend finally. can't wait to jump into working on it like you have on yours!

Are you in NovA? I'm in Fairfax. Maybe we can get some guys together for a meet at some point.
                          Hi. Thanks!

Congrats on the purchase and good luck picking it up! Local buy? Looking forward to seeing some photos.

I'm in Herndon. I usually hit up Great Falls Cars & Coffee. I sometimes hit up Dulles Landing Cars & Coffee. I'm certainly down for an e30 meet!

Comment

I'm struggling with finding new tires at the moment. I bought my 318is in March of this year. It has 195/65R14 Falken Sincera SN-828s now that are a tad below 2/32nds. They have worn very evenly and are in excellent shape, save for the low tread. They won't pass state inspection come March 2017

I like quality tires. Coming from a track and autocross background, I'm very familiar with tires for that market. On previous cars I've run dedicated summer, track, and winter setups. I am trying to keep this car all original, so I don't really want to upgrade to 15" wheels.

Tirerack has nothing in 195/65/R14 or 205/60R14, which are the only two sizes I will run on the stock 14x6.5 basketweaves. DiscountTireDirect has the Falken Sincera SN-828s that are on the car now @ $70 per tire.

I've expanded my search, but I really have no clue what most of these cheaper tire brands are (I probably sound like a tire snob). I just want something that wears nicely, provides good dry traction in both warm and cold weather. The 318is is a garage queen. it doesn't get drive in the rain, but it does get driven on nice summer and winter days.

I attempted to purchase 195/65R14 Falken Ziex 329s from Pep Boys. I called to see if they were in stock. I placed the online order. I drove to the store, after verifying stock (again), and when I arrived at the store they told me they no longer carry that tire. Thanks, Pep Boys. Good thing I called. Twice.

I've found a few cheap-tire sites that offer tires in the 205/60 and 195/65 size. Some of the reviews are decent, but they certainly aren't TireRack in depth reviews.

Here's what I've found in 205/60: https://simpletire.com/catalog?selec...m=14&zip=20170

Here's what I've found in 195/65: https://simpletire.com/catalog?selec...&query=catalog

The Doral SDL-As (Sumic GTA rebranded, manufactured by Sumitomo) are tempting at less than $50 per tire. They have to be complete crap though, right? I'm willing to spend more to find something truly good/decent.

The Federal SS595s are tempting as well. Towards the end of my semi-serious autocross days folks started using Federals (r-somethings) and they liked them. Not sure how I feel about the directional tread and it limits my rotation from front to back (single sided).

I'm not sure what else is available or where to look. I've called all my local tire chains (including Costco). I've looked at vulcantire, tirerack, 1010tires, justtires, discounttiredirect, and simpletire.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                              I am trying to keep this car all original, so I don't really want to upgrade to 15" wheels.
                              You could upgrade to 15" Euro weaves.
                              My Garage
                              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                                You could upgrade to 15" Euro weaves.
                                I have a set for sale!

Comment

Working...
                                X