New owner, BMW 325iX Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    Road trips for parts are the best. Especially when they are accurately described and you don't go home empty handed. The rings turned out great!
    Exactly!
    and thank you
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Received some more pars for the SWRA.

Although these parts weren't cheap, I'm glad I was able to source them.

Reproduction wiper motor seals - 61631359531 NLA from BMW. Found these on a Czech Republic E30 forum. Via their facebook group I was able to contact the guy who's making them

And reproduction wiper arm/shaft nut covers. The original cap on my wiper arms are cracked and are missing a few pieces.
      The original pieces are rivitted togehter, so there is no way to replace them. I'll have to cut the old pieces from the arms so I'll be able to install the new ones.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Small update.

When I first received the SWRA/headlight intensive cleaner kit, there were a few things missing. (Wiper stalk wasn't the right one, a rubber wiper blade got lost during shipping and I got two left wiper arms)
        I've contacted the seller since and got everything luckily sorted, last piece to arrive was the right wiper arm.

Well, upon opening the box, I was presented with this, looks pretty beat up, as well as the plastic holders that the wiper blades clip onto are missing, I'll probably will have to uses the ones from the second left wiper arm I received
        But can't seem to figure out how to remove them. I obviously don't want to break them lol.

After some carefully work with a plier and a little bench vise hammer, I got it pretty straight.

Unfortunatly, today I noticed I received the wrong headlight rims. Well atleast the plastic pieces on them are not the correct ones. (The rings are numbered from 1 to 4) The rings I do ahve these numbers but somehow the plastic pieces were once in their life swapped.
        The outer two rings should have longer pieces than the inner rings. I only figured this out when mounting them onto my headlights today. Fortunatly, after contacting the seller, he should have some extra correct rings, with the longer plastic wiper blade stops..
        I guess I have some more painting ahead of me

Outer headlight with the incorrect (too short) stops (should be 21mm long)

Inner headlight with the correct shorter stops (roughly 16mm)

I also received the steering rack for the quick ratio steering conversion for the iX.
        Looks pretty good, although there is some rust on the steering shaft, which wasn't there on the pictures of the listing. I've contacted the seller but haven't heard anything from him yet

First "fit" after removing the swaybar and original iX rack from the spare subframe
        Couple of things:
        - The main in and outlet of the rack needs to face the front of the car, this is donw by just unbolting the top housing and rotating it.
        - There are two nubs on the bottom of the rack that prevent it to go an further, these will need to be removed
        - Adding threads for banjo bolts for the in/outlet ports + also for the hardlines like Bavallrad did? Although, mayby it's possible to also use the same OEM style connection..

Removed input shaft housing.

This is the housing where that needs to be modified a bit

Degreased

I am now wondering, the original steering rack had one dowel sleeve to somewhat center/position it.
        The new rack only has bolt holes. Should I just drill new holes in the subframe or should I also add one or two positioning/centering sleeves?
        If so, I'll had to add these on the rack as well since there aren't any in the new one.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Very interesting. What's the donor rack out of? How much faster is it?
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Is this the x3 rack steering conversion I've seen? https://bavallrad.com/2020/01/28/fin...st-e30-of-all/ This one?

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
              Very interesting. What's the donor rack out of? How much faster is it?
              Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              Is this the x3 rack steering conversion I've seen? https://bavallrad.com/2020/01/28/fin...st-e30-of-all/ This one?
              Jeenyus is right, it's an X3 steering rack. This should get it down to 2.8 turns lock to lock.

Let me be clear, full credits go to Kent from Bavallrad for figuring this all out.
              I've contacted him as I was interested in buying a kit from him but since I'm in the EU shipping would have been very expensive.
              That's why I'm trying to copy his work as I have acces to a full machine shop at work + there's a hydraulic shop next to us for the lines etc.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Noice! Excited to see how it turns out

Comment

Noice! Excited to see how it turns out
                  Thanks man! It'll take some time to get it right though.

Today I went to the technical inspection to get it inspected as a classic car before registering it as a classic car.
                  The inspection was a walk in the park, no remarks what so ever. At one point, there were 4-5 guys surrounding my Touring, checking it out and complimenting me
                  Also the Alpina gauge is working beautifly

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

This is just awesome topic, cool stories, pics, info...Thanks for sharing with us and keep it working
                    https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                    https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Originally posted by litu View Post
                      This is just awesome topic, cool stories, pics, info...Thanks for sharing with us and keep it working
                      Thank you!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Previous weekend I went through my iX spare parts and looked what I could sell together with the extra parts I bought with the front subframe for the quick ratio conversion.
                        (Anyone in need of an oilpan, rear swabar, H&R iX lowering springs and a front TC-diff axle?)
                        While I was busy, I also sorted some of the parts I'm still holding on to, nice little collection so far :)

This weekend I also finally put my uncles iX basketweaves in paint. He managed to bend a rim, we decided to refinish the wheel while we were at it.
                        I had him let a company chemicaly strip the wheels as they were powdercoated and it was too big of a hassle to sandblast them myself
                        Pretty pleased with the results, I went with a high gloos RAL9006 paint.

On this picture they look a bit more grey than the OEM color, although I think it has to do with the lighting

Also centercap rings and 'nuts' got painted

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

if only you were closer man! I'd come and help take some of those parts off your hands. Great work on the wheels!

Comment

if only you were closer man! I'd come and help take some of those parts off your hands. Great work on the wheels!
                            Haha yeah, there aren't many people that I know of that have an iX over here.
                            And thanks!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Last few parts for the headlight cleaning system that needed some paint.

Only thing left was routing the wiring loom and tubes for the washer fluid nd fitting the pumps.
                              And of course also the wiper stalk
                              I'm not using the intensive cleaner pump (and container as is NLA and pretty much unobtainable)

It's pretty tight with the ABS pump and headlight aim control but I got it all fitted

So since I don't have the intensive cleaner container where the relais would mount onto, I decided to make a little bracket.
                              I wanted to use the stud and nut from the front strut bearing, after some CAD drawing and some 3D printing, I came up with this little bracket

The washer is there so the nut doesn't break the plastic when tightening it down.

However, It's not fully working yet.
                              I can sometimes get the whole system working but other times only one motor turns.

Accoring to the manual from BMW for retrofitting this system., when pushing the stalk in or pulling on it, both times the pumps and wipers + headlight wiper should work.
                              However, I can only get them to work when pulling. I'm not sure where the problem could be.

I did find a couple US forums suggesting to add 2 wires to the wiper relay. But the BMW manual doesn't list this. Could it be this is only mandatory for US cars and Euro car came equipped with this "mod"?

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

So a little update as it's been pretty quiet on the Touring since the start of the covid virus.
                                I was home for one week from work in which I decided to disassemble the wiper motors to clean the old grease out and inspect the shafts for rust as on of the motors just turned very slowly.

When I opened up the motors, I noticed that there was some kind of round disc, to protect the electric motor) was broken in half. That can't be good..
                                The other motor had a small square component instead of the disc. After some more reading/searching on forums, also going over the Saab and Merc forums which also use these very same Bosch motors.
                                It looked like some motors had the square and others had the disc type. However I couldn't find any replacement parts for this component.

So I tried figuring it out myself. I got lucky and found a electronic website and was able to figure out which company made this component, Murata Electronics.

After contacting them, the person who answered told me that this no longer made this type of component but it should be a PTC overheat protector However he was able to tell me the resistance at 25°C should be 0.2R and the curie temp of 93°C
                                I was able to find a component with the same resistance at 16V (a little higher than the 12V but I think it should work)
                                https://www.murata.com/en-eu/product...12AR0R2M1B51B0

So after ordering it from Mouser, it arrived this week. I made a small spacer to keep the copper conductors apart and squished the PTCs wires between the copper and the case as I didn't want to solder them in yet.
                                After testing the motors with a powersupply they turn again, previously one of them would just slowy die after connecting power.

So I'll now reinstall them in the Touring and test the whole system again. Hopefully I can install them for good..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X