Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2mAns Daily Driver Thread - who knows what it is today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moatilliatta
    replied
    With Hagerty your only good with 5000 miles a year?

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    I never got the idea of a daily and a weekend car. Every day is a weekend when you're tearing around in a car you actually like, and every commute can be a race. Personally, it makes me sad that my touring now just sits in the time of salt. Despite the M40 it gets bounced off the limiter, launched, slid through double traffic circles, and run to top speed regularly.

Cars aren't forever, and neither are we, enjoy them thoroughly today before you can't.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

I've always wanted to run the maintenance and deprecation of a DD for a classic VS 2 cars.
    Well, the first area where there is an immediate change is the car payment ($340) and its insurance (~$140) gone, plus about $40 (max) in charging/ month. So that means the net is already a -$500/ month in expenses. The 996 has an annual insurance cost through Hagerty, but this isnt a new cost. We'll see how much my fuel costs are, but I dont think the depreciation is going to be much because its a 996 and they are already at the bottom and only going up from here.

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Good News is that I will be driving the 911 more. Bad News is that I will be driving the 911 more lol
    I've always wanted to run the maintence and deprecation of a DD for a classic VS 2 cars.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Well, a bit disappointed that the auction didnt even make it to $15k, but I know the seller. He has a cool collection of cars, and certainly could've afforded more if there was a battle, luckily for him there wasnt. We're supposed to meet up today.

Good News is that I will be driving the 911 more. Bad News is that I will be driving the 911 more lol

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    Its nice to park a car somewhere and not think about it. A daily seems to be more of a disposable appliance the more I grow up, the road and conditions ask for it to be. And save the nice car for the weekend to get away.

Leave a comment:

• IronJoe
    replied
    Just catching up, wow, I can't believe I missed all your DD shenanigans until this point! I hope the i3 goes to a good home and can't wait to see what comes next. Good luck my friend!

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    There's no reason why I cannot DD the 911, right?
    How reliable are they in general?
    As long as it won't have major issues that will require a tow (cooling system comes to mind), there's no reason you can't DD it.

If there are little things that constantly need attention, that isn't a deal-breaker for my DD at least.
    Much rather drive an older car with character then something new and numb.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Staszek Congrats on the sale, comparing it to a few others yea Id say it did well!

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
    1 car is always cheaper than 2. No
    matter now subsidized it is.

I just picked up a Prius Prime. Back up to 4.5 cars… Ffff
    I'm fighting the urge to look at what the replacement vehicle will be. There's no reason why I cannot DD the 911, right? I know my wife will be conflicted because she hates me having so more than 1 car, but it also means we'd take her Jeep GC most of the time on trips.

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    1 car is always cheaper than 2. No
    matter now subsidized it is.

I just picked up a Prius Prime. Back up to 4.5 cars… Ffff

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Well... it was fun while it lasted. Let’s see what happens and what’s next. This one sucks to sell, but life forced this decision, not anything on the car itself.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-bmw-i3-rex/
    Good luck! Going to follow this one. Sold my E38 on BAT last week, really good results. This is the time to sell, been hearing a lot from a guy that does software for some big auction houses that prices are going to dive soon.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    If it becomes a long-term DD I will likely need to replace the clutch as its a 'sport' clutch that bites too hard and constantly results in stalling.
    Really? Sounds like the driver needs to do a few mean burnouts and glaze the friction surface a bit.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Panici View Post
    Does the 911 bring you joy? If it does, then it's not a stupid decision to prioritize your happiness.

Inflation was/is brutal right now. The real costs of food and other necessities of life far exceed the quoted 3-4% inflation in my area. Have seen some estimates as high as 10%.
    Even if you're lucky enough to see a 3% cost of living increase from your employer, you still have 7% less buying power.

Thankfully we are blessed to be able to thin expenses, but my heart goes out to those who can't cut costs further and are struggling to live.
    Yup, I'm fortunate that the hardest thing I have to do is sell one of my 2 cars. A lot dont have it so easy.

The 911 definitely brings me joy and does my daily duties when I need it to. If it becomes a long-term DD I will likely need to replace the clutch as its a 'sport' clutch that bites too hard and constantly results in stalling. The dumb side of my brain says to add a LTW flywheel if/ when I swap the clutch.

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    That said there's a good chance this car is going away soon as Inflation in all of my expenses VS an employer who decided I wasn't worth any more in 2024 than they paid me in 2023 means I have to find places to trim costs, and eliminating a monthly payment and the associated extra Insurance it brings is likely the easiest solution... I could sell the 911 and keep this but I'm a car guy. I make stupid decisions...
    Does the 911 bring you joy? If it does, then it's not a stupid decision to prioritize your happiness.

Inflation was/is brutal right now. The real costs of food and other necessities of life far exceed the quoted 3-4% inflation in my area. Have seen some estimates as high as 10%.
    Even if you're lucky enough to see a 3% cost of living increase from your employer, you still have 7% less buying power.

Thankfully we are blessed to be able to thin expenses, but my heart goes out to those who can't cut costs further and are struggling to live.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    Life is annoying that way, but I assumed the P car would be the one to go. GLWS.
    that’s the logical decision, but I’m not always a logical man...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X