Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2mAns Daily Driver Thread - who knows what it is today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... crawled back under the car to play with the o2 sensors and got a closer look at the two sensors and oh what did I see when I got a good look at the second o2... something doesn’t seem right.

Surely this couldn’t be just a loose o2. Of course tightening it down is easier said than done. Removed the mid-section of the exhaust to get some more access and got to work. That, however, didn’t last long and the o2 sensor popped right off... damn thing was stripped.

With that fun stuff out of the way, I decided to load up the MR2s wheels in the back. Love the utility of my little sport wagon.

also, wanted to ask the experts... my hood seems a little harder to open than it should. Is there a roller missing or something here?

Starting to bond with this little thing...
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Nice find (O2 sensor)! I assume you'll be ordering a new one. If the O2 bung/threads are gummed up on the exhaust pipe, I've had luck with O2 sensor taps, which are only a few dollars at the local auto parts stores. This happened with my E30.

Those wheels are going to look very nice. What tires are you going to run?

Comment

I've seen a handful of m52tu/m54 cat monitors not run and everything is seemingly ok; no faults etc. I'd put money on if you were to monitor coolant temps as you drove around, you wouldn't be hitting specified temps in time. If the DME doesn't see coolant temps hit a specified temp in a certain amount of time, it wont even attempt to look at oxygen sensor function. It is likely that you have a stuck open thermostat, and it should be replaced.

Comment

I guess you could cut a slot in an old spark plug if you want the most ghetto of thread chasers. That's the kind of dumb shit I'd do.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I'm on the edge of my seat here. What was it? O2? Thermostat?

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              I guess you could cut a slot in an old spark plug if you want the most ghetto of thread chasers. That's the kind of dumb shit I'd do.

If I had more space, Id probably try something like this, but without the space and patience for it, I took it to the pros...

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              I'm on the edge of my seat here. What was it? O2? Thermostat?
              See below

After discovering the leak, I reached out to Byron to help me out. The shop he works at (Bullet Performance) isnt close to me, but they are a trustworthy, BMW shop, plus Byron himself would be working on the car so I knew it would be in good hands. I took it earlier to drop it off so he could get a fresh start on it tomorrow, but I guess I had good timing as he was wrapping up another job and was able to get my car taken care of immediately. Sadly the o2 had fallen out of the bung and was ruined, so after retapping the threads and a new o2, I was good to go. He also gave the car a nice "once over" and I discovered a few other items that will need attention, some sooner than later. The shop foreman also is somewhat of a "Drive-Cycle Wizard" so he gave me tips on what to do to get the Cat Monitor to set. I was told to keep it just shy of 60mph for ~3 miles, then let off to 50mph and then accelerate back to "59" and luckily with my long-ish drive home, I attempted this several times. Once home, I plugged in the crappy scan tool I had and it said the monitor is ready. Holding my breath for tomorrow when I will go to the smog shop, but its looking good now...
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Oh, twoly sensational.

Comment

Good luck looking forward to the result!
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Fingers crossed

Comment

Fabulous - glad to hear it's sorted. Cold beverage awaiting news of passing smog.

Comment

Picture is worth a 1000 words...

Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Comment

Comment

niiiice
                              sigpic

Comment

UPDATE:

I replaced the dead CAB this weekend before taking the car on a ~500 mile roundtrip to put the wagons hauling abilities to use. Started working on it Friday night just in case I got stuck. Also wanted to get an early start in case it went easy so I could tackle both sides, but that wasnt to be the case...

TLDR; I installed it, but it took longer than 5 minutes

The parts that all will eventually go on:

I got the lollipop off fairly easily, then used a 2-jaw puller to get the remaining bushing off the arm.

Dead

Threw on some dish soap and started hammering the new CAB on, but it stopped after just barely getting on. It was already kinda late, and I didnt want to be that neighbor hammering away into the night so I packed it up and figured I could get started the next morning. All I had left was to get the CAB on and then wrap it up.

Side by side: Old & New

In the morning, however, I wasnt making any progress hammering away. Got some windex to spray between the bushing and arm and still wasnt getting anywhere. After an hour of frustration I finally thought "This isnt working" so I pulled the CAB off again and decided to throw ALL the tricks at the install. Lubed up the bushing real nice, heated up the arm (nothing crazy, it was barely warm to the touch) and then sprayed it with windex. Put the bushing on the arm and hammered with some anger... and wouldnt you know it it went on all the way. Buttoned it all up, torqued everything and took it for a drive. Big improvement! The driverside CAB looks different than the one I removed from the passenger side, so Im guessing that was already replaced and though it still looks good I will tackle that one soon. I also really want to get the Strut Mounts done now as that is the most annoying thing now. No "Finished" pics, but yea...

Car drove the trip flawlessly, easily swallowed all the parts. I realized on the way back that I could've gotten away with a lot less "exposure" and likely only really needed to fold one of the two seats down.

Enjoying this car more and more as I put more miles on it...
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X