Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2mAns Daily Driver Thread - who knows what it is today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Don't rule out a 318ti, although they're just aboi5 too old to hit the mark, and are probably getting too valuable for whatever reason.

What else have we missed, Astra, Fit, Accent, Integra, Yaris, Corvette, Solstice coupe, Vehicross, Z3 coupe, and ???

Leave a comment:

• E30SPDFRK
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Both of those cars would be comfy for sure, but likely to give me >20mpg and thats not really a smart replacement for a car that gets >20mpg. Ideally Im seeing 30+mpg... perhaps 40 ;)
    Compared to my AMG DD's they got great mileage

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Im loving the random stuff people are sending me right now...

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Get an NA mini R56

Cheap, easy to fix, reliable if you address the right areas, manual option, back seat big enough for your kid, can haul parts and great MPG

ALSO fun..

I have one rn I'd sell for cheap but its auto

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Both of those cars would be comfy for sure, but likely to give me >20mpg and thats not really a smart replacement for a car that gets >20mpg. Ideally Im seeing 30+mpg... perhaps 40 ;)

Leave a comment:

• E30SPDFRK
    replied
    My favorite DD's I've had were an E60 530i and a W211 E350. You can get both for well within your price range. Neither are very fun though, just comfortable cheap relatively economical DD's.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

First gen insights are cool, and are 2 doors, can be found manual, but they don't have a back seat, just a shelf.

Almost bought one of those too, but after test driving one... I was like... it's actually too slow to be fun, and I'm not ready to kswap... so... I passed.

It may have just been the example I drove, if the battery isn't operating at 100%, but they aren't known for speed obviously. Road tests said 0-60 was about 11 seconds.

If you're talking about a newer insight, those are 4 doors and just hybrid civics.
    haha a man after my heart. I LOVE the 1st Gen Insight, but no back seat ...

Panici Thats a great question. It is available in 5-speed, and wouldnt you know it. Those are the bulletproof ones, whereas the auto are known to fail.

My heart isnt totally set on these either, so dont be afraid to throw the suggestions in, I'm still looking

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    We have also collectively forgotten the Smart, but that's just dumb, so my answer is Insight.
    First gen insights are cool, and are 2 doors, can be found manual, but they don't have a back seat, just a shelf.

Almost bought one of those too, but after test driving one... I was like... it's actually too slow to be fun, and I'm not ready to kswap... so... I passed.

It may have just been the example I drove, if the battery isn't operating at 100%, but they aren't known for speed obviously. Road tests said 0-60 was about 11 seconds.

If you're talking about a newer insight, those are 4 doors and just hybrid civics.

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    My gut tells me this thing would get jacked in a week out in the LA area LOL
    Hidden killswitch to the fuel pump is what I used. They can bust the ignition and crank it over all day long, but it won't start.
    Not leaving unless it's with a tow truck.

also, for the record. Nothing has been purchased yet, and its not a car I've owned before.
    Is it Auto only or available Manual?
    Should help narrow it down for the US market.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    It IS kinda ugly...

The Civic SI would be on my radar, but there isnt any in my price range...

Just an FYI, I was expecting to get $15k+ for my i3 and was going to be looking in the ~$5-8k range for a DD. The W124 E300 was #1 on my list. It was pre00 but was fully smog exempt. Sadly the car sold for less, so the budget is less than $5k. I also had some Gold/ Jetta TDi's on my list but a sub $5k car is a clapped out EMKAY4.

also, for the record. Nothing has been purchased yet, and its not a car I've owned before.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    People in LA with probably think that thing is cool lol

God that thing is so ugly it makes me laugh when I look at it.

Leave a comment:

• rturbo 930
    replied
    they are ugly, but not ugly enough for me... and finding a manual would be too much money.

cheap sh!tbox status
    Well how bout one of these? You'll be the only person in LA with one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fiat-multipla.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	10113784

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    ^
    Yes, and a Lotus would be ever so slightly impractical as a kid hauler. IMO, overhyped cars.

We have also collectively forgotten the Smart, but that's just dumb, so my answer is Insight.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Oh well, you're looking for Economy. Otherwise my top suggestion is an ​M156 powered AMG sedan. Hell you can probably find a decent one for the price of a civic hatch that isn't clapped or riced out and it's infinitely cooler. The M156 is the last great NA V8 from Mercedes and I'd have one over an S65.

When I think full time DD there's only one make I think of, Lotus.
    I have known two people who owned Lotus Elises, and I'm convinced based off of what they said about the cars that the "world class sports car that is as reliable and trouble free as a Toyota" is just a meme. Mechanically they're solid of course, but if anything at all goes wrong with the body or minimal interior you are in trouble. Parts are expensive and hard to find. Apparently they occasionally have transmission issues as well, and the transmission is not just a toyota transmission you can pick out of a junkyard, it has unique gearing.

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    ^ It would faster than you can say fast and furious.

When I think full time DD there's only one make I think of, Lotus.
    A man of culture.​

I'm running out of guesses.

Si hatchback 2003-2006?.

Regarded as one of the not-good Si's, but with mods they can be made decent.

I will say, I almost bought one for the shifter location alone.

They just were outshined by other cars, and we didn't get the Type R or peppy engine it deserved.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	134.5 KB ID:	10113771

Or a Ford Focus hatchback.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	131
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	10113772

I think I'm out of guesses now.​
    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 02-05-2024, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X