Clear All

• DesertBMW
    replied
    Update on this?

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Smog Exempt is a big thing...

Make a build thread of the 914 here too. Just copy & paste all the stuff from 914world here too.

Also, this was a fun video to watch

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    914 with a 4AGE is like a 70/80s version of my current MR2 haha

Get this thing on the dyno!
    There's been a couple of times where I second guessed myself that maybe, maybee I should have just gotten an MR2 lol. But there are key differences. California smog exempt is #1. And #2 is that it's an air cooled porsche and not a FWD corolla rolling in reverse lol (jk). Really though, suspension and steering is identical to the 911, and the interior is all porsche. The project doesn't get me nearly as motivated without those two things.

But yeah, dyno as soon as I make some calls I spose. I'm up in San Leandro now so, it'd be a barge to go back to the one I originally went to. If anyone knows a good place with a dyno up in the east bay, it would make things easier!
    Last edited by betz; 11-11-2020, 09:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    914 with a 4AGE is like a 70/80s version of my current MR2 haha

Get this thing on the dyno!

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Got a pretty cool pic taken of it at the auto x the other day. Haven't anything too significant lately, it got an MTech-1 spoiler and matching trunk torsion springs. I modified the headlight relay for the smileys finally. And planning on running a variable TPS very soon.

Just been driving and enjoying- the stroker has been very solid and runs smooth. And most importantly... it's a blast!! It feels very fast. It's gonna be at least 200hp I think. I've been looking into some places with dynos- I think my last post in this thread will be the dyno result whenever I get around to it. I may have given up on ITBs... But only cus my 914 will be getting it.. in a stock 4A-GE blacktop. Which I now have as well as all the parts to get it installed.
    ​​​​​​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20201110002408-2936e1df-xx.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	9959794

Leave a comment:

• luckybk
    replied
    still jealous of these seats

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    COVID-19 update:

No dyno time yet

I've finally fixed the odometer

Finally got my steering wheel back

Finally installed a new lower dash

Also have it on the original whodwho base tune, idling perfect running perfect. Confused about ignition though, seemed much more conservative than the DIYPNP base tune, yet, out of the box it was knocking more than ever before. Not a huge deal since I still tuned it out, but a head scratcher for sure. Also wondering if I might be losing power because of timing. It feels good though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HvCb7f8.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	9916253

Since I'm not out of the house nearly as much these days... my E30 has become my 'daily' driver. Best condensed driving enjoyment of all my cars :)
    Time to get started on that 914 tho... just been sitting while I collect parts but it's time has come!

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

thanks!! I’m compiling all of the info I can before I set my MS2 up. The car sounds fantastic in those videos. It seems like it really pulls hard.

also, I had this saved in my notes regarding s52 injector flow rates.
    • 3.00 Bar/ 43.5 PSI --- 22.50 lbs/HR --- 236cc/min
    • 3.50 Bar/ 50.7 PSI --- 24.30 lbs/HR --- 255cc/min
    • 4.00 Bar/ 58.0 PSI --- 25.98 lbs/HR --- 315cc/min
    • 2.50 Bar/ 36.3 PSI --- 20.55 lbs/HR --- 216cc/min

It pulls like a freight train now. And the car feels much more like it has an OEM tune, at the same time. Just more solid and consistent all around, I love it!

And thank you so much for those flows haha. That is very very useful.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    sounds so damn good

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by betz View Post
    How I set it up or what are they? Why not both lol.

Once I got idle to be good enough, I ran the autotune live feature that comes with the paid tuner studio. Worked super super good. My AFRs at part load, full throttle, up hill, cruising, are all just dialed in it seems. I think my req_fuel might be slightly off because I'm not sure what the pink top S52 injectors lb/hr is on a 3 bar FPR, there's mixed information since OEM is 3.5bar. I have it set as 20 lb/hr. But to my understanding, if you adjust the fuel tables proportionally and you're not swapping injectors it shouldn't matter.

Here is my current VE table. The only values I really edit myself are idle, usually. If my idle is wonky at all the autotune is likely to mess up those values.
    thanks!! I’m compiling all of the info I can before I set my MS2 up. The car sounds fantastic in those videos. It seems like it really pulls hard.

also, I had this saved in my notes regarding s52 injector flow rates.
    • 3.00 Bar/ 43.5 PSI --- 22.50 lbs/HR --- 236cc/min
    • 3.50 Bar/ 50.7 PSI --- 24.30 lbs/HR --- 255cc/min
    • 4.00 Bar/ 58.0 PSI --- 25.98 lbs/HR --- 315cc/min
    • 2.50 Bar/ 36.3 PSI --- 20.55 lbs/HR --- 216cc/min

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    The E30.. is the most fun. Funny? Lol sure. The 914 has that potential for sure though. I've got the engine for it now (4A-GE 20V blacktop) but I'm trying to decide whether to get it painted (maybe in Tijuana??) or to just swap the motor in and fix it up to drive then do the paint later. It's kind of in a state where paint now would make me feel better though.

The Boxster.. is the most fun when you're going really fast. It's a great car but I feel the E46 took some of it's daily driver thunder away from it. Mainly because it's a better daily driver. Not that the Boxster is a bad daily by any stretch, I truly did not anticipate how great a daily the E46 is. I really love the Boxster still but it would be the first to go at this point. No harm in holding onto it for a while, for now though. Going for a blast in that thing is still amazing. It's just, you know, newer Porsches are even better :p. And so are some of older ones...

Dyno time.. well this time I'm probably not going to Mann engineering. Might have the hookups this time. Guessing it will be a less nice facility but that's kind of want that just so I can be there in the room while it's getting dyno'd haha. And take a badass video. Mann puts it in this chamber and I had to look though a little window. Which is cool, but also, for sissies. I'll hopefully know by this weekend

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    love this car.... whens the dyno time?

also, is this now the funniest car of the group?

Leave a comment:

• e30davie
    replied
    That looks fun:) i like the color of your car:)

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by e30davie View Post
    I just looked at my VE table and its basically itenticle to yours. mine is all done with auto tune as well except for idle, so yours should be on the right track.
    For what its worth my m20 seems to like idling around 19deg. (m20b23 9.8:1). you are on the right track in making sure that the ignition advance stays constant at all idling conditions. How have you set your idle control? if you change it to advanced and use PID contrl it makes a big difference. There is a bit of playing around to get the PID values right, but i think its going to be better than the "simple" method or whatever they call it.
    Great to know! And I've been messing with that, I'm sure I'll get it dialed in. I did adaptive advance and tried both added and table, I really just need to spend more time on it though.

Alright guys. I'm not the show off-y type, but I've gotten enough requests for videos, that I've finally done it. Hope you enjoy.

In car

From stop

"Swing it bro!"

:)

Leave a comment:

• e30davie
    replied
    I just looked at my VE table and its basically itenticle to yours. mine is all done with auto tune as well except for idle, so yours should be on the right track.
    For what its worth my m20 seems to like idling around 19deg. (m20b23 9.8:1). you are on the right track in making sure that the ignition advance stays constant at all idling conditions. How have you set your idle control? if you change it to advanced and use PID contrl it makes a big difference. There is a bit of playing around to get the PID values right, but i think its going to be better than the "simple" method or whatever they call it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X