X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAC
    replied
    Originally posted by betz View Post
    Ehh.. I don't like V6's that much, although the Acura one is one of the best.

Hmm.. I just had a thought. 4AGE blacktop... wonder if I could make that work ;D

Ideally I'd like something characterful, high revving, reliable, light, and under 200ft*lbs of torque so I can use first gear. Also can be mated to the stock transaxle.
    4A-GE Blacktop would be awesome! Have always loved the sounds and characteristics of those.

Relevant vid:

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Ive had so many ideas of what I would want to swap in one... I think the best move is a VW motor and make it fast just to really stick it to the Porsche snobs that it is NOT a Porsche...

NARP is a real thing lol

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by wworm View Post
    my votes for an acura v6 (j35 I think?) in there. Its been done by a few local guys...
    Ehh.. I don't like V6's that much, although the Acura one is one of the best.

Hmm.. I just had a thought. 4AGE blacktop... wonder if I could make that work ;D

Ideally I'd like something characterful, high revving, reliable, light, and under 200ft*lbs of torque so I can use first gear. Also can be mated to the stock transaxle.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    my votes for an acura v6 (j35 I think?) in there. Its been done by a few local guys...

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    I feel like you are just doing stuff to make me jealous... what are the plans for the 914? Are you on 914world yet? Great group there
    Hahah, I just saw it, price was very right, rust was minimal and I've always liked the 914 and always wanted a smog exempt car. I did just join 914world.

Plans... first, get it running. Shouldn't be too hard. Then.. decide if I like the motor. If yes, then probably a hotted up type 4 motor with dual webers. If no, then I think I'll swap a Subaru EJ motor into it.

Between then, I want to get it looking prettier... I think this will be the hardest part by far.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    holy moly what a fleet indeed.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    I feel like you are just doing stuff to make me jealous... what are the plans for the 914? Are you on 914world yet? Great group there

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    So, this happened... lol

I have a legit fleet now

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    So, do we need to do any re-wiring?
    Nope, the board should be good to go. Just wire it per the booklet, he set us up for no IAT ahead of time since he knew we were both using the 502.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    Nice! I spoke with Jay- both of our units have the internal IAT already activated. Also, that wiring that I posted above is correct, according to Jay. He said it didn't match the schematic, as that schematic was for an 011 MAF.
    So, do we need to do any re-wiring?

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Nice! I spoke with Jay- both of our units have the internal IAT already activated. Also, that wiring that I posted above is correct, according to Jay. He said it didn't match the schematic, as that schematic was for an 011 MAF.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Good news!

Hooked up the MCK to a 5V power supply and got it to power on. Maybe I can get this thing working! Unfortunately I will have to put it on hold somewhat, I'm studying for the P.E. exam which will be on the 26th.

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    This would have been super useful, however my current problem is I can't even get the MAF conversion to power on, no matter what I try. Those are the exact wires for my pigtail also, though. So if I ever get the MCK to power on, that will be the next step.

Hmm... internal IAT? Why would you have to desolder? Can't you just, like, not connect it? A little confused on that part. I didn't think we had to do an aftermarket IAT.
    The 502 MAF doesn't have an internal IAT, so we either need to wire in our own IAT or use the internal IAT in the MAF conversion box, however to "turn that on" those two pins I mentioned need to be desoldered. I haven't opened up the box yet to see what that entails. I'm fairly certain it needs an IAT signal for the whole setup to operate properly, but I could be wrong on that.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    In our pigtail we have:

Pin 1: Brown/Orange
    Pin 2: Gray/Yellow
    Pin 3: Red/White
    Pin 4: Black

In the MAF conversion piece:

Red - V+
    Black - Gnd
    Green - MAF Input
    Blue - IAT (no internal IAT on a 502 as far as I know)

According to the manual we have for this, the 502 pigtail functions as follows:

Pin 1: V+ (Brown/Orange)
    Pin 2: Airflow Signal (Gray/Yellow)
    Pin 3: Ground (Red/White)
    Pin 4: Ground (Black)

So effectively, we'd be doing:

Red to Brown/Orange
    Green to Gray/Yellow
    Black to Black
    Blue to Red/White (or blue not wired in at all since it's supposed to be IAT?)
    This would have been super useful, however my current problem is I can't even get the MAF conversion to power on, no matter what I try. Those are the exact wires for my pigtail also, though. So if I ever get the MCK to power on, that will be the next step.

Hmm... internal IAT? Why would you have to desolder? Can't you just, like, not connect it? A little confused on that part. I didn't think we had to do an aftermarket IAT.

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Not sure if this is what you need, it's based on you posting that it's an AFM from a '92/93 M50
    From the ETM for a '93 E36, page 1210.13-05:
    Pin 1 Ground
    Pin 2 GR/GE to pin 41 ECU
    Pin 3 RT/WS to power
    Pin 4 SW to pin 14 ECU
    Same pinout is observed in the ETM for a '93 525i.
    In our pigtail we have:

Pin 1: Brown/Orange
    Pin 2: Gray/Yellow
    Pin 3: Red/White
    Pin 4: Black

In the MAF conversion piece:

Red - V+
    Black - Gnd
    Green - MAF Input
    Blue - IAT (no internal IAT on a 502 as far as I know)

According to the manual we have for this, the 502 pigtail functions as follows:

Pin 1: V+ (Brown/Orange)
    Pin 2: Airflow Signal (Gray/Yellow)
    Pin 3: Ground (Red/White)
    Pin 4: Ground (Black)

So effectively, we'd be doing:

Red to Brown/Orange
    Green to Gray/Yellow
    Black to Black
    Blue to Red/White (or blue not wired in at all since it's supposed to be IAT?)

But this contradicts 1210.13-05, however it's what is listed in the guide.

Also, since there is no internal IAT on the 502 we also have to desolder S2 Pins 2 and 3 in the conversion unit to use the internal IAT on the MAF Conversion Piece. Have you done that yet? This is my first chance taking a look into all of this today.

I think I'm going to give this a shot at first for an elbow despite that I don't like the added connection points: https://www.cxracing.com/KIT-BMW-E30-AI

The above elbow could also be useful, as the "back" vacuum port neither of us use, so it could easily be cut off and turned into an IAT bung if we don't want to use the internal IAT on the unit itself. (not sure on if he just wants a generic GM IAT to be wired in if we choose to use our own)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X