X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    Did you figure out anything re: the MAF setup? I haven't had a chance to mess with mine yet, and have been looking for the "perfect" overpriced intake elbow for IAT that'll fit over the MAF.
    No, not really. Jay from Sssquid said to send it back so he could take a look at it. I'm going to try to test it with a power supply with my coworker before I resort to that. But, I got the feeling it's busted somehow. I'm also still very confused at the AFM pins vs the MCK pinouts as per my previous post. Jay didn't seem to understand what I was saying :/

By the way, this is the elbow I used and this is how I got a port for the ICV, if that helps.

The elbow is of very high quality. The port's quality was.. good enough. ground down some bumpy welds then sent it :)

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Did you figure out anything re: the MAF setup? I haven't had a chance to mess with mine yet, and have been looking for the "perfect" overpriced intake elbow for IAT that'll fit over the MAF.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Painted my strut bar burgundy, gotta say my engine bay is really coming together!

Mtech1 spoiler, coolant tank relocation, and eventually the MAF are incoming ;)

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    hows it running with the new setup?
    Biggest difference: throttle response is vastly improved. Much more than expected. It really is much sharper.
    The sound is actually amazing too. It doesn't change the character of the motor at all, it's just much fuller and deeper but mostly at higher RPMs or when I floor it. Very satisfying.
    It runs as good as ever- maybe even better. I feel like with the MAF it will be perfect. In time..

I think I also might look into fabricating a heat shield.

In other news, I will be in So cal for the entire week and am Turo-ing a Z4M coupe. Really excited- this is the first car I've driven with the S54. Or ITBs for that matter.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    hows it running with the new setup?

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Finally figured out a cool solution to the MAF plumbing and the ICV. I'm running my cone filter and the AFM with it now, works great and actually sounds really nice and not ricey. Check it out!

Used the port system, and a half inch NPT to 1/2" PVC elbow fitting. The OD of the PVC slip side of the elbow happened to be just over an inch, which is roughly the size of the ICV.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Unfortunately my running theory is that the MCK is fried. And even more unfortunate, is that it seems like all of the pins on the MCK were incorrect. In a way so that wiring it per the directions fried the unit :(

I really want to be wrong. Though I understand this is a prototype, I will cut as much slack as I can afford the squidmeister.

Here is the pinout for his MCK:

1- N/C
    2- IAT
    3- GND
    4- V+
    5- Signal out

You can see in this picture of the PCB, this is correct: https://i.imgur.com/uXk71y3.jpg

The AFM on the other hand, has these pinouts:

1- N/C
    2- GND ("AFM common ground")
    3- V+ ("AFM reference output")
    4- Signal out ("AFM input')
    5- IAT ("AFM inlet air temp")

If you compare my pic of my connector https://i.imgur.com/vCp4qTU.jpg
    With this article (pins are reversed in article, but 1-5 left to right in pic)
    You can see this is also correct.

I really don't see anywhere to have any doubt unfortunately. Looks like following the directions, you'll end up sending 12V to ground and grounding the IAT pin. Since I tried connecting both 5V and then 12V to the PCB directly now, and still don't get the LED's to illuminate, I'm thinking that the initial wiring fried the PCB.

I'm hoping to hear from anyone else who got the MCK to chime in. Like I said, I really want to be wrong here. If I'm right then I'm probably not the only person who fried their MCK.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Not sure if this is what you need, it's based on you posting that it's an AFM from a '92/93 M50
    From the ETM for a '93 E36, page 1210.13-05:
    Pin 1 Ground
    Pin 2 GR/GE to pin 41 ECU
    Pin 3 RT/WS to power
    Pin 4 SW to pin 14 ECU
    Same pinout is observed in the ETM for a '93 525i.
    Thanks, that helps a lot actually. Only problem is I'm not sure if the MCK is actually working, but afterwards that's how I'm going to wire it I think.

Currently working on fitting the MAF, I came up with a good idea. Going to use the port system from siliconeintakes and get an elbowed barbed fitting to fit the ICV.

Tried to fit the stock elbow, there was no way in hell it was fitting on the MAF.. it was way too small.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Not sure if this is what you need, it's based on you posting that it's an AFM from a '92/93 M50
    From the ETM for a '93 E36, page 1210.13-05:
    Pin 1 Ground
    Pin 2 GR/GE to pin 41 ECU
    Pin 3 RT/WS to power
    Pin 4 SW to pin 14 ECU
    Same pinout is observed in the ETM for a '93 525i.
    Last edited by varg; 09-23-2018, 10:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Having a couple issues. I can't get the LED's to light up although I feel the MCK getting warm. I have replaced the 5 volt pin 12 output with a 12V from pin 37 switched power, but didn't do anything else besides plug it in. I'm wondering whether it needs to be hooked into the maf to do anything, but I doubt it.

Also I can't figure out the pinouts on the MAF. I have 4 wires... brown/orange, black, grey/yellow, and red/white. They are also labeled 1 2 3 4 on the plug. But I can't find anything online or even in wiring diagrams that show what goes to what.

I shot an email over to Sssquid, I guess I just have to wait more though.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Hmmmm interesting!...

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Here she be

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Thanks for compliments. Have a bonus pic with the Boxster after a wash! :)

After obsessively checking the USPS tracking number from Sssquid for like the 12th time, the MAF conversion PCB has finally shipped! Scheduled delivery is this Friday. So excited.

Leave a comment:

• ArtFoodBMW
    replied
    Awesome build so far mate. Loving the wheel and paint combo!

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by betz View Post
    Thanks for the kind words! I'm really liking how the car drives too, it feels very OEM+, totally dailyable, but fun and exciting at the same time. I'm wanting to put new AC in it cus I just want to drive it all the time haha.

I do not recall the exact alloy, but I told the machinist to use something with similar thermal expansion properties as the forged steel on the crank. I remember it being just a higher grade steel. Really anything that's not a mild steel would probably be fine. Something like SAE 1045.
    awesome, thanks man!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X