X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    I hope this means you will leave the 986 at home and get some mileage on the E30... Im eager to see the dyno. I am still up in the air about what powerplant I want. I think Im going to be less anxious once the car is a 5speed. It seems like when its over 4k rpms it really wakes up
    I have been driving it a bit, but I haven't been dailying it. Truth is, I have one more issue I've been trying to sort before I daily.

Fortunately, the dyno might be part of the solution.

Basically I discovered that this subtle -coins in a tin can- type sound I am hearing when the engine is under high load is a mild ping. You'll hear the noise when you lug the engine or if you're just revving it out. Revving it out, you'll hear it for a second at low RPMs and then it will come back for a split second at mid/high-ish RPMs.

However, it'll barely ever ping under normal daily driving, which is good. It's also incredibly mild. I had to make the noise a few times for my mechanic to even hear it. I plan on taking the E30 to work tomorrow.

I have already tried putting in lower temp plugs: the NGK BPR6ES that digger recommended, but it did next to nothing. I think the best solution will be a new tune to back off timing a bit.

I called the dyno place and they do dyno pulls in the morning and are only open weekdays. I think I'll have to set it up and come in work late one of these mornings. Only issue is I'm not sure if should do my dyno pulls without an O2 sensor so I can have their wideband plugged in, or if I should put in a second bung in the exhaust to put their WB into (for AFR readings). Once I figure that out, I'll be setting the appointment.

In other news, I've finally got around to clear coating my Garagistic strut bar and have it installed. Looks nice. Steel = real.

As for you, if you have a healthy M20B25 I would run that, at least for a while. No need to tear it apart unless you are motivated to build a motor. The 5 speed is a much more important addition to your car than better HP or more torque, IMO. Like I said, this build was never for chasing numbers!
    Last edited by betz; 01-29-2018, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    I hope this means you will leave the 986 at home and get some mileage on the E30... Im eager to see the dyno. I am still up in the air about what powerplant I want. I think Im going to be less anxious once the car is a 5speed. It seems like when its over 4k rpms it really wakes up

Leave a comment:

• mr.
    replied
    Originally posted by betz View Post
    Kinda, it's actually this cheap eBay shit which is virtually identical except maybe some slightly shoddier welds. Sounds almost stock, incredibly nice for the money.
    Well damn, just bought an IE Exhaust not too long ago

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by mr. View Post
    Ireland Engineering exhaust?
    Kinda, it's actually this cheap eBay shit which is virtually identical except maybe some slightly shoddier welds. Sounds almost stock, incredibly nice for the money.

Leave a comment:

• mr.
    replied
    Ireland Engineering exhaust?

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Thanks, it definitely wasn't easy!

2018 stickers mothafuckaaaaaaaaYEAH

Leave a comment:

• zwill23
    replied
    Congrats dude! That was a serious battle, time to enjoy your creation ;)

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    175-180whp

where did you get the injectors with the dud one?
    CAtuned. They did send me another pretty quickly, no charge. Claimed to have just tested them so they were skeptical it wasn't firing.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    175-180whp

where did you get the injectors with the dud one?

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Nice work!! Can’t wait to see what it does on the dyno

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by wworm View Post
    Yeeew! Congrats! so the m30 maf and chip did the trick?
    M30 AFM and I just ran the Sssquid chip'd 173 ECU that I originally ran with. The big difference was the S52 pink top injectors. One of them wasn't firing, I was running on 5 cylinders. Once I replaced that, the thing was running ship shape.

I didn't run the M30 ECU per advice from Jay at Sssquid. The mapping is too wildly different for it to be perfectly safe on an M20. Although in my experience, it seemed to be working just fine. I figured I would just allow my M20 ECU to correct for the M30 AFM and the injectors.

I'm pretty amazed how low the numbers came out though. Like, 2 ppm. Holy shit. I guess it's what I should have expected with a correctly rebuilt motor.

Oh and, the thing feels waaaay faster now. ;D

Next step after transferring the title and whatnot, I'm taking it to a dyno. I'm going to take a few pulls, HP & TQ of course, along with an AFR reading, and get a new tune based on that. Also for the M30 AFM / S52 injectors.

Leave a comment:

• iXguido
    replied
    Wow was there anything even coming out of the tail pipe? That’s impressive

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Yeeew! Congrats! so the m30 maf and chip did the trick?

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Holy fuck, I passed the shit out of smog!

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Ohhh myy goddd

Put a stethoscope up to my injectors. Cyl 3 isn't firing. That would explain why bigger injectors = somehow running leaner. The new injectors effectively turned my car into a Volvo.

In other news, I decided that my ECU was better off thinking my motor was an M30B35 instead of an M20. I put the original chip back in my 179 ECU and put in an M30 AFM. Seems to run better in my Volvo motor but can't really tell for sure with one cylinder pumping air.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X