Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• betz
    replied
    Have taken the car out a few times and the motor is happily ticking away with absolutely no oil leaks from what I can tell. I actually don't think anything is leaking at the moment. Radiator fluid was leaking a bit until I tightened a few hoses. Power steering all good.

The bad news is I got the hood on, and the car is going to need a little body work to get everything totally straight. Nothing super major, I already knew the car needed some work, I got it for $200 after all, but it's a little disheartening seeing the gaps to the fenders. This was the first time I put on the hood fully.

So, the short list is:
    Engine break in
    Injectors
    Front bumper
    Stainless steel zip ties instead of regular zip ties for the exhaust (they're not directly touching the pipes at least)
    Smog
    Take it to a body shop
    Take it to an exhaust shop

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    E36 m3 pump run at 5b 24lb/hr sounds like other issues in that case

You dont need more fuel pressure you tune the pulse width at rpm and loads it requires more or less fuel. Adding fuel pressure increase fuel flow at all times. Stick to a mild Increase in injector for that
    Last edited by digger; 11-12-2017, 02:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kedge
    replied
    Originally posted by betz View Post

So you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? I think mine is a 3.0 bar late model FPR, Bosch 0280160249. I'm thinking that'll do fine for now but I know the M50's were originally something like 3.5 bar.

Nah, I fitted a Bosch FPR from Porsche 944 (S2 I think), runs at 3.8 bar. Problem I then had was that fuel pumps couldn’t flow enough against that pressure, even a brand new Bosch OEM unit and an E36 M3 unit was right on the limit so I fitted an AEM fuel pump. If I was doing it again, I’d just fit injectors rated at +200cc at 3bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by Kedge View Post
    Good to hear that you’ve got it running. The oil incident shouldn’t cause any issue for you, just a nice clean up sesh 🤣.
    Shit hit the fan. So much oil. Took like 2 bottles of simple green and 2 and a half paper towel rolls. Sorry environment.
    Originally posted by Kedge View Post
    Try and get some good injectors in there ASAP, my M20B28 was pinking on the M20 injectors, even did it on the M50 injectors until I increased the fuel pressure.
    Just bought some from CA tuned. Unfortunately MEPEH is out of commission.

So you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? I think mine is a 3.0 bar late model FPR, Bosch 0280160249. I'm thinking that'll do fine for now but I know the M50's were originally something like 3.5 bar.

Leave a comment:

• Kedge
    replied
    Good to hear that you’ve got it running. The oil incident shouldn’t cause any issue for you, just a nice clean up sesh 🤣.

Try and get some good injectors in there ASAP, my M20B28 was pinking on the M20 injectors, even did it on the M50 injectors until I increased the fuel pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by wworm View Post
    woooo! what injectors did you swap in?
    Lol. I had a set of stock M20 325i injectors sitting around... So... Those. Will probably try putting in some nice rebuilt M50 injectors fairly soon.

I kinda don't want to admit it but whatever. I changed the oil filter after running it for like 20 or so mins at around 2500 RPM. For the flakes and whatnot from breaking it in. Decided I wanted to try taking it for a drive. Friend was standing watching. Oil starts spewing out. Turn it off immediately. The gasket from the old filter was stuck on there, essentially I doubled up on the damn gaskets and that's what caused the catastrophic leak.

The oil had spurted towards the fan and the fan launched it up all the way on the roof.

Pretty certain everything is all good, ran for maybe 5 seconds on partial oil. Pretty hilarious though 😁

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by betz
    did it really just start?!?
    :rofl:

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by betz View Post
    woooo! what injectors did you swap in?

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Did it really just start??!!

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Replaced the injectors and it started! Still not perfect, motor shakes a bit at idle. Will try and upload a short video later

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    What wiring are you using? Early model eta has 2 pumps and late have one. Might not be getting an fuel

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    When I removed the plugs they seemed dry. I've also taken out a plug, grounded it and cranked the engine and it was for sure sparking.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    plugs get wet?

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    injectors firing? for sure put a pressure gauge on it
    How do I tell if the injectors are firing?

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    injectors firing? for sure put a pressure gauge on it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X