X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentlejackjones
    replied
    CV axle broken, drivetrain vibration ensues

Hooning the E30 last year, I snapped the left rear CV axle, which caused problems with the differential cover and the driveshaft (1/8" out of round). Had the driveshaft replaced (custom job from Powertrain Industries in Garden Grove, CA), but the vibration remains at certain speeds. Currently being looked over by another mechanic to determine issue.

Leave a comment:

• Gentlejackjones
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric Giles View Post
    Congrats on picking up this car...I kept seeing it FS on different sites, and the NOLA Facebook group. Looks like it was very well done!

I think you bought those basketweaves from Alan Pate...I messaged him as soon as he posted them, and meant to go get them but life got in the way...glad they are getting put to good use.

As far as the trunk leaks, definitely check the taillight gaskets, and the seal that goes around the rectangular trunk vent that sits behind the bumper. That was a cause of the trunk leak on my 318is. Also, the antenna grommet if you still have the factory power antenna.

I am about an hour and a half away from you in Waynesboro, MS so if you need any help with anything let me know. I actually just picked up my 9th E30, but my first 4 door, a few weeks ago...a '89 325i 5 speed in Zinno red. I think the local chapter there meets up on a Thursday night each month at McAllisters on Govt. in Mobile. Might have to meet up there sometime.
    Has the local chapter been meeting? I just joined a few months ago... would be great to meet up and trade E30 stories/ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Giles
    replied
    Congrats on picking up this car...I kept seeing it FS on different sites, and the NOLA Facebook group. Looks like it was very well done!

I think you bought those basketweaves from Alan Pate...I messaged him as soon as he posted them, and meant to go get them but life got in the way...glad they are getting put to good use.

As far as the trunk leaks, definitely check the taillight gaskets, and the seal that goes around the rectangular trunk vent that sits behind the bumper. That was a cause of the trunk leak on my 318is. Also, the antenna grommet if you still have the factory power antenna.

I am about an hour and a half away from you in Waynesboro, MS so if you need any help with anything let me know. I actually just picked up my 9th E30, but my first 4 door, a few weeks ago...a '89 325i 5 speed in Zinno red. I think the local chapter there meets up on a Thursday night each month at McAllisters on Govt. in Mobile. Might have to meet up there sometime.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    wheres that exhaust clip at? :devil:

Leave a comment:

• Gentlejackjones
    replied
    April 2018 Update

Installed a remote entry system (Autoloc - got from Ebay) and replaced the trunk gasket (OEM replacement). Still getting a little water in the trunk, so sealed the trunk while I search for the cause. I'm checking the taillights next.

Also, I cleaned the connectors on the power window switches and got those operating again. All windows work!

Finally, installed a glasspack to quieten the exhaust note and fixed some exhaust leaks in the process. Sounds great!

Leave a comment:

• Gentlejackjones
    replied
    Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
    hard to spot in the 3rd pic....

What diff are you running?
    Lol, yes. Sorry, uploaded wrong pic as the third. That's Fairhope, Alabama, though. Nice sunset view after a drive in the E30.

Oh, and the seller before me put in an LSD, with supervision from Logan at Bimmershop in Harahan, LA. I'm trying to get handier with the car, and have done things like replace trim pieces, replaced the wheels myself (woohoo, I know), and almost the brake master cylinder but then it got stuck and I didn't have the cajones to just start smacking the thing to unloosen it.

Leave a comment:

• Gentlejackjones
    replied
    Originally posted by wworm View Post
    Any chance you'll be selling those azevs? :devil:
    Absolutely! PM me if you like.

Leave a comment:

• eternal24k
    replied
    hard to spot in the 3rd pic....

What diff are you running?

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Any chance you'll be selling those azevs? :devil:

Leave a comment:

• Gentlejackjones
    replied
    New pictures of the Murderbrick.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Gentlejackjones
    replied
    Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your mom.

I remember seeing and drooling over this car on eBay a month or two ago. It looked like a really solid build. It really just needs some decent suspension.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm looking forward to updates. FYI Flickr works best for uploading photos here.
    Thanks, Codym42. I appreciate the kind words.

As for the E30- yes, I'm getting estimates now for the suspension, and it's been what I thought it was-- fast, loud, and needing just a few end finishes to be tip-top as a daily.

My work blocks Flickr, unfortunately, and they have found my Anonymouse proxy, too. Sucks to their ass-mar.

I got OEM 14" BBS weaves and the Vredesteins (actually like these things, very nice rubber it seems) on the Murderbrick!

Leave a comment:

• Codym42
    replied
    Sorry to hear about your mom.

I remember seeing and drooling over this car on eBay a month or two ago. It looked like a really solid build. It really just needs some decent suspension.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm looking forward to updates. FYI Flickr works best for uploading photos here.

Leave a comment:

• Gentlejackjones
    replied
    Anyone with a BMW CCA membership?

Trying to join and I see that I can give someone else a little lagniappe if I enter their membership no.

Thanks,

GJJ

Leave a comment:

• eternal24k
    replied
    sorry to hear about your mother, but like many, you have found the therapy of a project.

What diff did you use?

Looking forward to more pics

Leave a comment:

• Gentlejackjones
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    How do you like the torque monster M54 in there? Suspension mods coming soon?
    I really like the low-end torque. The car wants to go sideways at all times, really. Trying to decide between Bilstein Sports for the front or coilovers. I think I'll only really track it occasionally, so...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X