No announcement yet.

Brilliant Red 1991 325i coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my original paint but posts like this make me want a respray..

Comment

Originally posted by connorb850 View Post
      Yeah, I did the same thing. It became an easier decision once I found out a brand new set of Ronals is currently cheaper than a decent used set of Euroweaves.
      Where can one source new Ronal LS wheels? I have 4 and may want to get a 5th for my spare.

Comment

Originally posted by NJsaabguy View Post
        Where can one source new Ronal LS wheels? I have 4 and may want to get a 5th for my spare.
        Numerous people have inquired about this through private message. I meant to post the link earlier, but here it is:

They cost me roughly $180 per wheel, shipped from the UK. The deal was so good I bought five. During my research, there is apparently some confusion about whether they are still in production. Per date stamps on my set, they were manufactured (or at least packaged) June 2018.

As for the car, I'm pondering suspension options. Really not a fan of the Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks currently installed. I don't have any prior E30 experience, but I know this car could handle and ride much better with a different setup. I've never been a huge Bilstein fan, so I'm definitely replacing them with Koni. The question is whether to use H&R springs (Sport? Race?) or spend a bit extra and get Ground Control coilovers. I may pull the trigger on something if there are good sales later this month.

Also, I recently picked up some parts. The coolant cap broke and I got a little carried away while ordering a new one. Ended up with nearly $500 worth of stuff - mostly a bunch of small items that added up...

Comment

I took some time off around Thanksgiving and drove the E30 up to Virginia to see family. Dad and I worked on the car while I was there.

Transmission leak is now fixed with a new detent ball cover (new design with integrated seal on left)

Fresh expansion tank you can actually see through. Also pictured, new air box mounts.

Tires mounted on the Ronals…no more 14's with junk tires

The oil cooler was held up by zip ties when I bought the car, so that was remounted using the correct parts.

I polished up a new (used) instrument cluster face to replace the original broken one.

Spent several hours deep cleaning the interior. The seat belts were really nasty.

Decided to tackle the rust under the trunk seal…first treated the entire area with POR-15, then JB Welded a thin piece of aluminum in place, then repainted body color. Not a perfect repair, but I think it came out decently well and I avoided a body shop…at least for now.

This is how it looked beforehand

Cleaned out the trunk & spare tire well while the trim panels were removed

Purchased a new shift knob and a used E36 leather e-brake handle cover. Awaiting some new leather boots from StitchedWheels.

Last year I bought a pair of Recaro CT seats I was going to install in my Volvo 240. That never materialized and I’m going to be selling that car soon…. which means these seats will go in the E30 once I buy adapters to use the stock seat sliders. They are cleaned up and ready to go.

Pictures from today’s wash and wax…

Comment

Great looking car, keep up the good work.

Comment

Recaros look gooooood
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Nice work. The Ronals look great. Post some photos when you install the seats!

Comment

wow where'd you get your shift knob?

Comment

Originally posted by rikaro View Post

wow where'd you get your shift knob?
                    I have the same knob, I got it from an Ebay seller. ebay/google is your friend.
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                    IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Very kewl ... and close by too. Super.

Wheel choice was great & adding the seats will round out the interior.

I'm sure our paths will X.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                        I have the same knob, I got it from an Ebay seller. ebay/google is your friend.
                        this is the one right? I saw this on ebay but i'm concerned about the quality on these. If yours is the same one then it looks good!

Are they pretty light or weighted?

Comment

Not weighted and it should come in an Oem box .... it is Oem but has a superseded part number

Drive Tastefully!
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                          IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                            Not weighted and it should come in an Oem box .... it is Oem but has a superseded part number

Drive Tastefully!
                            oh nice cause i thought they're all discontinued and impossible to find

Comment

Originally posted by rikaro View Post
                              oh nice cause i thought they're all discontinued and impossible to find
                              This is the shift knob I bought:

I tried to get one of these directly from BMW a couple years back for my E28, but had also been told this style was discontinued. I'm not sure how the seller was able to find a supply of these, but it did come in a BMW box and appears new. It feels weighted to me.

Comment

First update in 2019...

At some point in January, the car threw a code for coolant temperature sensor, so I replaced them both.

A few months ago during Black Friday sales, I ordered the full Ground Control suspension package with single adjustable Koni shocks.

The install took place last week. Along with the coilover kit, the car received the following new parts:

-Lemforder front control arms
                                -Lemforder tie rod assemblies
                                -OE M3 offset control arm bushings in Febi brackets
                                -OE front hub bearings
                                -FAG rear wheel bearings
                                -GKN axles
                                -Corteco differential output flange seals and OE carrier o-rings

Will let the pictures do the talking...

The diff housing was rusty enough that I decided to clean it up and coat with POR-15. The finish turned out more glossy than I wanted, but hey, it will hide any future leaks ;)

I set the height slightly lower than my previous setup. The only decent final ride height picture I have at this point:

So far, I'm very happy with the ride and handling characteristics of the new suspension.

Based on lots of research, I went with 440 front/660 rear (lb/in) spring rates. I was worried this might be too aggressive for the street, but its not overly harsh. In fact, it rides better than the super soft Eibach springs with Bilstein previous combo. The car is much more composed feeling, and handles exponentially better.

Front camber is set to about -2.2 degrees, with about 1/32" toe in. I may tweak things after more seat time and depending on how the tires are wearing.

Eventually I might change the front sway bar setup. I'll probably get some adjustable end links to reduce the preload on the sway bar, and also utilize the M3 mounting location that GC has welded to my strut housings.

Comment

Working...
                                X