Dmanb2b's Alpine 318is - S52 is ALIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    Nice job on the exhaust. Looks like it's put together well with all the right components (to include flex pipes) and has a sectioned design for easier servicing. What's left after this? When's the burnout video coming? :)
    Thanks Mike! Despite not having mandrel bent pieces, I am really happy with how it's coming together. Have to finish getting Vibrant can and tip on back and then fab some brackets for the blemished Corbeaus I snagged a few months back. DSSR and hopefully lay down some stripes before salt hit the road :>(
    1991 318is
    2004 330ci
    2011 335d

Comment

Finishing touches on exhaust (raceland headers>flex>ypipe>MF HF Cat, Borla XS mid and Vibrant ultraquiet muffler....it's quiet!!!!)...just waiting on some new donuts and finalize mounting rods. Seat install, alignment, inspection and some cosmetics next....

1991 318is
      2004 330ci
      2011 335d

Comment

dang sweet exhaust

Comment

some more...really pleased with the way this turned out

1991 318is
          2004 330ci
          2011 335d

Comment

Moving on from the exhaust work, time to focus on getting the seats I sourced a few months back installed. Scored some Corbeau sliders for $40 and working on custom brackets to mount nice and low.

1991 318is
            2004 330ci
            2011 335d

Comment

those are some great looking welds if i've ever seen some! nice work

Comment

That exhaust is a thing of beauty, one of the cleanest installs I have ever seen. Very well done!

You are clearly a gifted welder.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                  That exhaust is a thing of beauty, one of the cleanest installs I have ever seen. Very well done!

You are clearly a gifted welder.

MJ
                  Thanks MJ...I wish I could take credit for it, but the work is being done by my friend and his crew at Highline Motorsports, up in Burnt Hills NY. Can't recommend them enough...great communication and attention to detail, while affordable. This build would have taken me years without their help and with my current work schedule. I certainly lack these welding skills. It's been great working with fellow e30 enthusiasts. My goal was "quiet" with the exhaust...but it's literally a sleeper now. The motor and exhaust sound may be smoother and quieter than a stock, new e36 m3 was. We'll see what it sounds like after a few burnouts and dyno tunes ;>).

Some more progress on the interior. Driver's seat and M2 steering wheel are in and we were able to replace the dead battery. I need people's opinions, but thinking the tan door cards are going to go bye bye.

Last edited by dmanb2b; 10-29-2019, 08:07 AM.
                  1991 318is
                  2004 330ci
                  2011 335d

Comment

Glad to see its all coming together. I've been in that position where you have to pull and rebuild again, and while its no fun now, it will be worth it when you start putting major miles on the car.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      Glad to see its all coming together. I've been in that position where you have to pull and rebuild again, and while its no fun now, it will be worth it when you start putting major miles on the car.
                      Thanks SImon! I appreciate the encouragement...definitely looking forward to it. Unfortunately, being in NY I am going to run out of time to enjoy no-salt roads :<(
                      1991 318is
                      2004 330ci
                      2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post

Thanks SImon! I appreciate the encouragement...definitely looking forward to it. Unfortunately, being in NY I am going to run out of time to enjoy no-salt roads :<(
                        Thats ok, take the winter to do the other things you want to do ... they are never done!
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Thats ok, take the winter to do the other things you want to do ... they are never done!
                          Exactly!!!...as you can tell...she will be in dire need of a bath and some elbow grease
                          1991 318is
                          2004 330ci
                          2011 335d

Comment

Time to start ironing out the details. Second first test drive was a success...lol. The motor is no buttery smooth and there is zero smoke. Decided to change up the seat brackets to allow just a bit more adjust-ability, massage the fenders and install the Bosch euro smileys. Painting the strut bar black instead of white and need to get front grilles and IS lip painted. Also scored a great deal on black door cards and a rear seat. I just wasn't feeling the tan...hopefully can get that swapped by the end of this week.

Seat bracket update:

Tuck the e38 style 5s with 205/50 tires:

Headlights in

black rubber e82 floormats
                            Last edited by dmanb2b; 11-04-2019, 08:39 AM.
                            1991 318is
                            2004 330ci
                            2011 335d

Comment

Car should be on the road by next weekend...got some small things knocked out so far this week.

Seat belt buckles installed and adjusted

smoked Bosch smiley's are wired up and in

Tried out some LEDs and I am not a fan of beam pattern and brightness...sticking with halogens

Decided to clean up the trim

it's come a long way since this:

Still need 6cyl coding plug, emblems and some other adjustments....

1991 318is
                              2004 330ci
                              2011 335d

Comment

Did you paint the trim or use something else to clean them up? They look new again
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X