No announcement yet.

Andrew's Sterlingsilber 90 325iS -> 318iS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You’re going to swap the engine from the Z3 into the E30? Curious as to why you’d want to go from an M20 to a M44. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
      You’re going to swap the engine from the Z3 into the E30? Curious as to why you’d want to go from an M20 to a M44. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yep. It's going to become a 318is. I wanted one of those to begin with, except they are missing some of the features I like such as cruise control, check control, OBC, map lights etc. Some of them have heated seats, but I don't think it's very common. This 325is has all that. I want the M44 for better handling (more M3-like), better MPG, and I like the OBD2 diagnostics. The M44 has several improvements over the E30 M42, including serpentine belts (as opposed to V-belts), extra torque at lower rpm (will help compensate for extra weight of the 325is), a DISA intake, knock sensors (so premium isn't required), and a MAF (the M42 AFM is expensive and no longer produced). If I decide later I want more power I can supercharge it or build it up, but I think it will be fine since this car is a daily driver I use to mostly run errands around town. I could save for an S14, but that's just it. They're very expensive and should probably stay in an M3 (or 320is). And an S14 still isn't OBD2. M44 is more advanced (DOHC, coils for each cylinder, etc.). Another plus is that the M44 produces lower emissions than the M20, especially this one since it has the SAP.
      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Here's an interesting BMW document I found. The M44 with SAP is 50% cleaner than one without. It meets TLEV (Transitional Low Emission Vehicle) requirements. Who knows what emissions standard the M20 meets. It predates Euro 1 and shares the same catalytic converter as Euro cars, so it's awfully dirty.

http://www.teacher.starenvirotech.co...20Overview.pdf

Comment

I am confused as to why you didn't opt for an alloy M52. Its your car so I respect the build, I just couldn't ever justify going from an M20 to an M44. Have you driven a 318iS back to back against a 325iS? The whole "mini-M3" thing is severely......over hyped. However.....I don't even think an actual E30M3 is enough of an amazing driving experience on the street to justify coining the term "mini-M3" <---------Coming from E30M3 owner

Regardless, I'll be following along, as you always do quality work which is great to watch! Good luck man.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

M44 gets better MPG than M52 and I think 4 cylinders suits the E30.

Comment

Here's the carbon footprint of the M44 compared to the M52. Obviously it's not as good as something like a Prius, but still an improvement.
              4.06 metric tons: 10000 miles in a USA 1999 BMW 318TI 1.9, Manual(M5)
              4.76 metric tons: 10000 miles in a USA 1999 BMW 328IS 2.8, Manual(M5)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                M44 gets better MPG than M52 and I think 4 cylinders suits the E30.
                I may agree a 4cyc suits the E30, although I would want a much more powerful one if I did. I personally think BMWs are meant to have silky straight 6s, all of them:) and I have 3 with V8s lol. I get what you are doing, although like others would be hard pressed to remove an M20 for either of those engines.

I am interested in following the build if you do though!!!
                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I got a Supersprint exhaust. First time I've bought one of these. It's gorgeous. I hope it sounds good too.

I also picked up a beater 91 318i for the conversion parts. It has 172k miles and besides failed clearcoat and missing bumpers it's not actually that bad.

Last edited by Andrew325is; 12-10-2019, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                    I got a Supersprint exhaust. First time I've bought one of these. It's gorgeous. I hope it sounds good too.

I also picked up another E30. It's a 91 318i. At $500 it's officially the cheapest car I've ever bought and it runs and drives too. It has 172k miles and besides failed clearcoat and missing bumpers it's not actually that bad. After pricing some of the conversion parts I need this seemed like the better idea. Just the oil pickup for the E30 M42 oil pan is over $350 from the dealer. The transmission seems to shift well so I'll use that along with the driveshaft and a 4.10 LSD I already have.

lmk if you need any m42 parts!
                    1991 318is
                    2004 330ci
                    2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post

lmk if you need any m42 parts!
                      I think I have plenty of M42 & M44 parts now between both cars, but thanks. :)

Comment

Jeez, just now seeing this. Love that configuration Andrew325is

Comment

I decided to retrofit the A/C to R134A. Someone told me to leave it R12 because the E30 evaporator is small so it won't cool as well, but it's Oregon and we rarely need it anyways and nobody uses R12 anymore. Don't need A/C this time of year, but I figured it would be good to just install those parts while I'm doing everything else. To do it properly you need a lot more than just o-rings. The 93+ E30s were R134A so I got the correct pipes/hoses from BMW, along with a parallel flow condenser, new evaporator, drier, and other parts. Since I'm installing the M44 I got the compressor hoses for a Euro M40 Touring. I found a place who will make adapter fittings if I send them the ends of the Z3 hoses (since I'll be using the Z3 compressor).

Comment

That's sweet, don't know how I missed this thread. Plus one on the m44 conversion for a DD.
                            Mind sharing the PNs and source of the parts in the picture?
                            '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                              That's sweet, don't know how I missed this thread. Plus one on the m44 conversion for a DD.
                              Mind sharing the PNs and source of the parts in the picture?
                              Thanks. Yeah, sure. I got the part numbers from RealOEM and ordered the 2 compressor hoses from Schmiedmann in Denmark. Part numbers 64538391053 and 64538391054. The other pipe, 64538391040, was fitted to the 93 325i convertible as well so I ordered that from a US BMW dealer (and because shipping would have been quite a bit extra for it coming from Denmark due to its size). The other parts are from RockAuto.

Comment

Thank you very much. Those PNs are not available from where I order my stuff, so def helped me out a lot.
                                I'll keep checking out this thread for more good stuff!
                                '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Working...
                                X