No announcement yet.

My M30-Swapped Alpine Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just realized I forgot to put the oil feed tube when putting the head bolts on. I torqued them to the second stage. Still haven’t ran the car and torqued the third time.

Do you guys think it’s ok if I only remove the 4 bolts I need to take off to install the oil tube? Or should I remove them all and re tighten in order? Will I need new bolts?
    1987 325 Turbo

Comment

To my understanding m30 head bolts aren’t TTY, however I’d just go ahead and purchase new bolts as cheap insurance.
      sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
      1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
      1991 318is - Sold
      1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

These are a new set. I removed a pair at a time to install the spray bay and upon reinstalling they seemed to torque just fine. I’ll keep an eye on things when I add oil and coolant but I think I’ll be fine.
        1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Yesterday I got the last parts I was waiting for to put everything together. I was missing two bolts for the lower timing cover and found out the shackle for the engine hoist was missing as well so placed an order for them last Sunday. At the same time I ordered some Nitto NT05s to get the Equips mounted. Everything is coming together and I'm hoping to get it started today or tomorrow, despite the rain.

It was kind of nice only getting 20-30 minutes of wrenching time after work. I was able to visualize what I wanted to do all day at work then quickly put it together once home. One day I would do the intake manifold, then another day the injectors, wiring, etc. I never felt overwhelmed and I'm feeling confident that everything has been done well (other than the spray bar mishap) so far.

I decided to stay away from a flashy finish on the valve cover and went with a wrinkle black finish. Eventually I'll get the M3 firewall covers for more cleanliness but I'm pretty happy so far.

All that's left is the spark plug wires, thermostat housing, and cooling. Then we'll put some fluids in and see if it starts. Getting pretty excited.

This morning I got to the tire shop, SR Tires Plus, right when they opened to get the wheels mounted. Dropped them off and ran out to get coffee/breakfast. When I came back 30 minutes later he was done. Excellent service, they even lined up the valve stems to the yellow dot on the tires. Embarrassingly I lost one of the many split wheel bolts when cleaning them so I had to order a spare at $15 from ebay. I also ordered some limited edition caps that should arrive next week.

And I got one more piece that I should be picking up this weekend. A part I've wanted for a while made by a local fabricator in Santa Rosa.
          1987 325 Turbo

Comment

SHE STARTED!

I had everything together ready for a start by Saturday night. Made sure everything was connected and fluids were filled. Let's go.

Click.

Shit battery is dead. I connect a charger to it and it starts cranking, but no start. So at this point I assumed the battery was done. This morning I went to Walmart and got a new battery. I connect it and again, click. I decide to check the starter wiring and I see one of the connections is a bit exposed so I covered the end of the wiring with electrical tape. Decided to try again and this time it cranks. So we're close. I feel it.

I check the relays and what do you know, the fuel pump relay is barely hanging on to it's slot. So I seat it correctly and try again. It starts! Idling it sounds great. Way quieter than before. I start to see smoke so I shut off the car. After looking around I see it's the oil that spilled on the manifold so all good. I then spot a couple of drips, fuel and coolant. The fuel is coming from the loose clamps on return/delivery lines so that's an easy fix. The coolant is coming from the thermostat housing. I assumed there was a gasket for the housing but couldn't find one, I thought the o-ring was enough. I disassembled it and sealed it with gasket maker. Tomorrow I'll see if it leaks and if so I'll get the gasket. If not we're good to go and I'll mount the valance, bumper, and wheels.

I ran the engine for about 20 minutes then changed the oil and torqued the head bolts/changed vcg one more time. No leaks from the general gasket areas which makes me happy. I hope I get some wheel time this week.

I still have to clean up the airbox lid. And I ordered two new connector housings for the coolant/brake reservoirs. The original ones completely crumbled when I disconnected them.

And I picked up the last piece.

1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Rear spoiler?
              1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

If/when you run the thermo switch for the fan use the last blank spot next to the thermos sensor for the motor. The one on the radiator takes too long to get to temp.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                  If/when you run the thermo switch for the fan use the last blank spot next to the thermos sensor for the motor. The one on the radiator takes too long to get to temp.
                  I’m currently using a manual switch that was previously installed. Any write-ups to switch to what you’re talking about?

And yes it’s a rear spoiler.
                  1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Search for thermoswitch + override switch. Basically you're running a relay setup (probably what you have already) and then putting the manual switch between the thermo and the relay on 86 output.
                    sigpic

Comment

Cool build, excellent on no leaks.

Comment

I ran the car for about 25 minutes today to bleed the coolant. It stayed at about the 3rd line so it might have a bit more air in the system. Absolutely no leaks.

I threw the Equip's on in the front and put the car on the ground which felt good. I'll throw the rears on tomorrow. When I got the valance/bumper on it was about to be 9pm so I didn't want to be a noisy neighbor and called it quits.

I forgot to get black OEM wheel bolts so had to mix and match what I had which is why one of them is silver. It'll get sorted before we're on the road.

I threw on the Kooglewerks trunk spoiler. I'm still playing around with the fitment.

Excuse the dark photos, I'll get a proper photoshoot done soon. So close.
                        1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Exquisite! I love this, wish you would make a good sound quality video for us innocent bystanders.
                          '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Specs on the Works? I was never a huge fan of them on E30s but those look sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Aufbau Principle View Post
                              Specs on the Works? I was never a huge fan of them on E30s but those look sick.
                              They weren’t my favorite either but I got a really good deal for them on eBay. Originally I was looking for Equip 40s or Borbet Type As.

They’re 15x7 +25 all around. I’m using Nitto NT05s in 205/50/15. I’m using a 3mm hubcentric spacer in the front to help clear the caliper.
                              1987 325 Turbo

Comment

I was looking into getting the Equip 40s but I contacted Work Wheels USA and they said that I would need a lower offset in the front than I would want to clear the brakes on an E30 so that kind of stopped those plans. Thinking of SSR MK3 now, but I might have to copy you if I can find also find a good deal, the SSRs are expensive.

Originally posted by iso_hi View Post
                                They weren’t my favorite either but I got a really good deal for them on eBay. Originally I was looking for Equip 40s or Borbet Type As.

They’re 15x7 +25 all around. I’m using Nitto NT05s in 205/50/15. I’m using a 3mm hubcentric spacer in the front to help clear the caliper.

Comment

Working...
                                X