No announcement yet.

89' 325is LS3 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice. What kind of power are you expecting/aiming for? I'm a big fan of the brake setup but I've manual swapped E30s before and the pedal box is indeed a gigantic pain in the ass to do. If budget allowed, an LS3 is what I'd put in my E30.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 1-26

Comment

The ls3 came from Don Hardy race engines. It's fairly mild as far as LS builds go. They built it to be about 550hp. Anxious to see what it puts down once I get everything together.

Comment

That is quite a lot, I think you'll find it adequate even if it doesn't make 500whp.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 1-26

Comment

Damn man. That sucks. So what did you do with the Nova? Part it out. It looked like a solid body.

Do you have your race pack cluster already wired in? I am assuming you are using the speed sensor in the t56 for signal. If you go with the stock one in the diff. it is 9 pulse so you will need to convert it to 8 pulse or your tachometer will be off.
          Last edited by rzerob; 04-24-2019, 07:18 PM.
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I appreciate “its only a mild LS just 550hp”

Looks like a great build, I love the racepak setup simple & clean. Hopefully the Nova gets a new lease on life, I’ve had a few mates with builds that have gone the same way with workshops

Comment

The Nova was parted out. It had a custom subframe with C6 Corvette suspension, an adjustable 4 link in the back, and a full 6 piston wilwood brake setup. I kept all of this. The plan is to complete the E30, then eventually hunt for a Nova that is in decent shape that I don't need to blow completely apart. Then I'll re-use all the suspension bits.

I haven't done any ECU or dash wiring yet. I've been contemplating how to handle the speed signal. It turns out that the VSS on these transmissions doesn't produce the correct signal for the Holley ecu, so I'd probably need a converter box. Something like Dakota Digital SGI-5E.

I, for some reason, hadn't considered wiring straight to the dash from the VSS on the transmission. I need to read up on the dash input requirements and what the PPM is from the VSS.

Comment

So I have been researching the operation of the speedometer circuit and I am not 100% on this but so far this is what I have:

Speed sensor is 9 tooth vr sensor in the differential.

That signal travels to the instrument cluster by connector 2 pin 12 br/rd wire

The signal is cleaned up to a 9 pulse square wave and out puts this signal to connector 3 pin 26 br/rd wire to obc. And connector 5 bl/yl wire to cruise control.
                (I believe the speedometer uses this same signal to operate)

A speed signal is also sent to the dme from connector 1 pin 11 yl/wt wire.

Then the dme sends the speed signal back to the instrument cluster to operate the tachometer through connector 1 pin 7 bk wire with 1 pulse 12v square wave. The signal goes through the coding plug for proper tachometer readings.

As far as I can tell everything is a 12v reference. If you find anything counter to what I wrote please let me know as I will be going forward with my own cluster project soon.
                Last edited by rzerob; 04-25-2019, 07:34 PM. Reason: I was wrong

Comment

The radiator looks great, are you gonna keep the hinges and just add hood pins on the front?
                  First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

That's the plan. I have a pair of Quick-Latch hood pins I hope will do the trick. I was going to use Aero catch, but the Quick-Latch setup seems a little more subtle.

Comment

I spoke with a resident expert with gauge clusters and he informed me everything but tachometer is 9 pulse. 12v 9 pulse vr signal is converted to 12v 9 pulse digital square wave and that is the signal used sent to the obc, ecm, and cruise control. The return from ecm to tachometer signal is 1 pulse 12v square wave.
                      Last edited by rzerob; 04-25-2019, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the signal!

I need to decide on tire size soon. I'd like to get some traction under it. I also need to run 17s to clear the brakes that are going on. It's becoming hard to argue with a square 255/40r17 setup. There is a huge selection of tires in that size, and I can even get all seasons. I have kamators flares on the way (which I plan to paint-to-match). I'm just having a hard time taking the plunge and cutting into the car.

Comment

I plan on getting the KAmotors flares so I would be interested in seeing how you tackle it. As far as the signals, I am still not 100% on them yet. There might be some miscommunication between me and the resident expert. I will update you if anything is contrary to what I posted.

Comment

Originally posted by jeds View Post
                            Thanks for the heads up on the signal!

I need to decide on tire size soon. I'd like to get some traction under it. I also need to run 17s to clear the brakes that are going on. It's becoming hard to argue with a square 255/40r17 setup. There is a huge selection of tires in that size, and I can even get all seasons. I have kamators flares on the way (which I plan to paint-to-match). I'm just having a hard time taking the plunge and cutting into the car.
                            I run that size in a Falken under the standard KAMotors flares and love it. Though, I don't have traction issues because I'm not LS yet. Haha
                            84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                            Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by jeds View Post
                              That's the plan. I have a pair of Quick-Latch hood pins I hope will do the trick. I was going to use Aero catch, but the Quick-Latch setup seems a little more subtle.
                              Nice, I was thinking of getting the same radiator and some hood pins. Please get some good pics of the hood pin setup. What kind of hoses are you gonna go with?
                              First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
                                Nice, I was thinking of getting the same radiator and some hood pins. Please get some good pics of the hood pin setup. What kind of hoses are you gonna go with?
                                I'm cobbling together my radiator hoses with HPS silicon bends, aluminum internal couplers, and Gates heat shrink clamps. It's been a bit of a pain, and they will probably end up being the worlds most expensive radiator hoses. I'm hoping they work out. I plan to have them completed this weekend.

I took a quick look at the hood pins and noticed an unused hole in the core support that is the perfect size for the bolt. Fingers crossed it doesn't land in a weird spot on the hood. I'm lazy, and not drilling a set of holes would make me very happy. Here are a few quick images. The last one showing how much articulation the ball and socket design allows on these hood pins.

Comment

Working...
                                X