This thread is dedicated to Mariano.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is dedicated to Mariano.

I told him, years ago while enjoying his amazing hospitality at Bimmerfest, that if anything ever happened to my 97 M3, "I'd have the drivetrain swapped into an E30 without thought or hesitation." Well, it looks like "without thought or hesitation" translates into almost a full year to fight my insurance company to get the car's value, find the right E30, and get the swap done.

It's fast. While I am only running a 3.46 in comparison to the 3.64 of the M3, the lighter weight of the E30 makes up for it, and I have lost very little, if any, explosive power out of the hole. My E36 moved well with the IP-class race engine in it, and this car would have embarrassed it in a highway matchup.

I have to thank ACE Performance for taking the time away from their project supercharged E46 M3 to build the car, and of course D-Force Wheels. I am in love with these LTW5s - 13 lbs, super strong, and the fact that D-Force had just released a fitment for the Spec E30 class could not have come at a better time. I also need to thank Turner Motorsport for shuffling their appointments around in order to accommodate the car for tuning, as it runs beautifully, with no partial throttle drama, and all the power I need. :D

Video:
    270 whp built S52, originally for IP BMW Club racing, now a street engine running the smaller Sunbelt street cams. Thanks to everyone for the positive commen...

One note about the below dyno - at the top, the power is labeled as being at the flywheel, and the power as measured is at the wheels. In my M3, in OBDII form, this engine made 268 whp and 244 TQ with only 1200 miles on it after it was rebuilt.

It's nowhere near perfect, and Lord knows it is in desperate need of Shadowline trim, but it's as good a place to start as any. Thanks for checking out the thread.
    Last edited by C-T; 12-06-2009, 11:51 AM.
    Chris | Debut Thread | Night Shots | Snow Shots |Youtube |60-130 |IP S52 91 325is

Sick sick sick!

Amazing houses too.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Holly crap!

Darth Vader called... He wants his car back.

She is a beauty. Nice stance, love the side skirts.

you should think about the getting in on the ac rep mirror group buy.
      sigpic
      New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
      %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

That's pretty bloody good, mate. Looks farken sinister!

How come you didn't use the M3's front suspension for 5-lug/bigger brakes?
        Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

that car is so sweet, that has to be in the top 10 of clean e30s I've ever seen
          sigpic
          www.teameurotrash.com

Comment

Shit is so cash

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
            RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

hawwwwwwwwt

e24 e9 e30
              IG: peterkaczynski

Comment

Originally posted by Raxe View Post
                Sick sick sick!

Amazing houses too.
                Thanks! I wish the houses were mine, but they belong to my parents. I am down in South Carolina taking care of my mother, who just lost her husband / my stepfather to ALS, and my father also has a house down here too. I personally live in Connecticut.

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                you should think about the getting in on the ac rep mirror group buy.
                Could I be so rude as to ask for a link? I'd love to take a look.

Originally posted by Iain View Post
                That's pretty bloody good, mate. Looks farken sinister!

How come you didn't use the M3's front suspension for 5-lug/bigger brakes?
                Thank you kindly, sir. Appreciate it.

There was no time for the conversion. ACE went from having all the time in the world, to me needing the car now due to ...well, the unexpected, accelerated untimely demise of my stepfather. I don't really want to bring this here, but it's the truth - He chose to end his battle with ALS, and nobody in the family saw it coming. This meant my presence here was required for much longer than I ever expected, so the luxury of time went straight out the window as I suddenly, immediately needed the car.

I'm really not trying to bring a sob story here, but it's the reason why certain corners were cut in order to get me rolling ahead of schedule. Right now the car only has about 2000 "shakedown" miles on it, and (knock on wood) so far, so good.

Originally posted by ethirtyguy View Post
                that car is so sweet, that has to be in the top 10 of clean e30s I've ever seen
                I appreciate that, but it's amazing how well pictures can hide blemishes. The car is a solid 5 footer, and it does come across very well in pictures, but it will need to see a full rotary polisher before I have a shot at being truly happy with the paint. But, like I said, it is as good a starting point as any. :)

Thanks for the positive responses guys!
                Chris | Debut Thread | Night Shots | Snow Shots |Youtube |60-130 |IP S52 91 325is

Comment

thats awesome. :D may i ask you were you got the samco hoses?

Comment

Looks and sounds great. Sorry to see the e36 pass but at the same time the rebirth of the e30 with its updated and rightful engine almost seems like it was worth it. I have thought the same thoughts "if anything was to happen to my M roadster". I have had many close calls from people not paying attention switching lanes, backing out, driving on the wrong side of the road etc. Hahaha gotta love SWFL drivers...

Any details on the engine build or just a refresh?

Sorry to hear about your stepfather man, I know ALS is very very hard on everyone.
                    sigpic

Comment

When i first read the title of this. I thought that you and mariano were lovers, But damn this thing is HOT. What part of CT you from.
                      sigpic

Comment

dude...so sick

Comment

where in CT you from?

Comment

Originally posted by Mako18 View Post
                            Looks and sounds great. Sorry to see the e36 pass but at the same time the rebirth of the e30 with its updated and rightful engine almost seems like it was worth it. I have thought the same thoughts "if anything was to happen to my M roadster". I have had many close calls from people not paying attention switching lanes, backing out, driving on the wrong side of the road etc. Hahaha gotta love SWFL drivers...

Any details on the engine build or just a refresh?

Sorry to hear about your stepfather man, I know ALS is very very hard on everyone.
                            Thanks. Yeah. It's been ...pretty rough. I really am sorry for bring that whole thing here. But right now it seems to be affecting just about everything right now, and ultimately affected the car, which was obviously little more than a peripheral diversion by comparison.

A few years ago I decided to upgrade my 97 M3's engine with one from an IP-class BMW club racer. Its previous owner no longer had any use for it as the class rules had changed, and the engine was illegal. It had the usual round of upgrades including a full Ferrea oversized valvetrain, a block bored out to be a true 3.2L, oversized/forged pistons, balanced and blueprinted rotating assembly, sunbelt cams, etc.

This engine really improved the car. Under the advice of the shop performing the work, I retained the stock headers in order to maximize my low/midrange TQ for the street. The Sunbelt sport cams that I used yielded great power up high in the powerband, and would have given me more had I run the appropriate aftermarket headers, but I was too satisfied with my curve as it stood to want to touch the setup:

I also ran an aggressive custom 3.64 differential, but have a 3.46 in the E30 that I like a bit better. It doesn't feel like it lost any real step, but aside from the perceived TQ loss going to OBDI, along with whatever other reason (including the worthlessness of comparing two dynos of the same engine on different dynos, on different days) that the power may be different, the E30 is still as fast at the M3 out of the hole, and it would have embarrassed it in a highway matchup. Well, for as long as I dared to keep my foot in it, as the E30 has a completely refreshed suspension, but just HD shocks and springs, which makes for a less confident ride over 120+ mph speeds compared to the M3 with only H&R coilovers.

Originally posted by Motorsports View Post
                            When i first read the title of this. I thought that you and mariano were lovers, But damn this thing is HOT. What part of CT you from.
                            North Haven.

Comment

5 footer? Are you kidding, that paint is clean!
                              Continuous For Sale Thread
                              323i s50

Comment

Working...
                              X