Finally back into an e30: ‘88 Alpine on Blue 325ic cruiser build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
    The e30 is now a hipster icon. Who would have seen that coming 10 years ago? ;-)
    I would argue that the Volvo 240 is still number one on that front. You're right though, most old boxy cars are. Lets not forget Suzuki Samurais/Sidekicks.

Regarding the E30 community changing, I've only really been in it for a few years but this is what I've seen. As the minty ones become harder and harder to find, they will cost more and more. Most decide to keep them as time capsules to a certain extent, but mostly because the supply of clean cars is seriously starting to dwindle. The parts suppliers have gotten better (see above list) and there are a ton of aftermarket options. At the end of the day, just do what you want it. Part of what makes E30s cool is that you can do so many things to them. I wouldn't want to see this community start to resemble old Mopar enthusiasts that get hard for factory orange peeled paint and matching numbers.
    Originally posted by Melon
    Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

M54's sound like not difficult swaps, are no heavier than M20's and start at the power where a streetable/cruiser M20 tops out.

Comment

The e30 is now a hipster icon. Who would have seen that coming 10 years ago? ;-)
        And no more cheap parts. And no more junkyard e30s.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post

Ahh...I miss those days.
          ------------------------------------------------------
          1982 528e - Sold
          1987 325e - Totalled
          1990 325is - Sold
          1997 540i6 - Sold
          1991 325ic - Sold
          2013 335i - Sold
          2005 X5 - Daily
          1991 318is - *work in progress*

Comment

Yeah, everything hasnt changed too much with the exception of the following:

-S54 is the new gold standard for 24v M motors
            -Cheap parts are non-existent nowadays
            -cheap cars can still be had, but they are far and few. Get one while you still can

I miss the good ol' days though, when things weren't super inflated, and building a car was a "cheaper" endeavor than it is now.

-Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
            91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
            04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
            Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
            Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

This exact thought crossed my mind while driving home last Friday. "Do people think I'm a hipster douchebag!?!"

I calmed myself down and told myself that I'm a enthusiast who enjoys driving an engaging vehicle.

PHEW!
              90 Bronzit 325is
              16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post

I’m discovering the “no more cheap parts” thing. Haha. Things that were not very expensive are now CRAZY. But it does sound like there is a lot more available parts available.

Comment

Originally posted by laidback93 View Post

This exact thought crossed my mind while driving home last Friday. "Do people think I'm a hipster douchebag!?!"

I calmed myself down and told myself that I'm a enthusiast who enjoys driving an engaging vehicle.

PHEW!
                  This probably supports my “mature” side saying to “keep it OEMish”. I’d rather keep it classic and non-douchey

Thinking keep it simple. HR spring/shocks, Kopis/Alpina wheels, smiley’s, Mtech 1 rear spoiler, “normal” exterior stuff, rear headrests, and some little engine tidbits.
                  Last edited by Mastrcruse; 09-23-2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• laidback93
                    laidback93 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's the approach I took with my e30. OEM+. All the usual upgrades such as the HR springs, Bilstein shocks. Z3 steering rack, short shifter. You know the deal. Old as time. The only thing not stock in appearance are my Ronal LS, but those feel OEM+ to me anyways.

Originally posted by laidback93 View Post

PHEW!
                  Don't feel bad if you have an urge to grow a thick beard and carry an axe around town wearing timber boots and plaided wool shirt. Yeah. Urban lumberjacks drive e30s these days and they wear sunglasses at night too... ;-)
                  Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

• laidback93
                    laidback93 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ehhh I'm more of a Hypebeast than a hipster. Bring on the retro Jordans, Off White and Supreme!

Just kidding on the Supreme. Like I can even find that or afford it.

I have an early model convertible with plastic bumpers, custom euro cloth interior, stock sport steering wheel, H&R sports, billie shocks (tho I'd like a set of Koni's eventually), e36 rack, all suspension refreshed, motor stock but cleaned up and refreshed, running bottle caps. The theme is a nice, classic cruiser, with a good deal of heritage and effort. I've done different things to it over the years but this is the setup I'm happy with and is what makes sense for my needs as a comfortable and sharp daily driver or road trip car.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                    I have an early model convertible with plastic bumpers, custom euro cloth interior, stock sport steering wheel, H&R sports, billie shocks (tho I'd like a set of Koni's eventually), e36 rack, all suspension refreshed, motor stock but cleaned up and refreshed, running bottle caps. The theme is a nice, classic cruiser, with a good deal of heritage and effort. I've done different things to it over the years but this is the setup I'm happy with and is what makes sense for my needs as a comfortable and sharp daily driver or road trip car.
                    Perfect cruiser setup. I’ve always wanted Alpina wheels so thinking I’d do that and, most likely, going to try and find some kopi’s.

Comment

Welcome back!

Regarding 5 lugs, I think one reason is the cost/benefit just isn't there. I think the primary draw was 5-lug wheels are a lot cheaper than 4-lug equivalents (BBS-001 etc). Well now you would probably spend $5k+ on an E30 M3 setup (I don't even know, it could be even worse than that), or you could go with a cheaper, goofier looking, poor geometry E36 setup for cheap. But I don't think that ever truely caught on. Plus now there are tons of 4-lug brake kits that are way better than what you get on a stock M3, while also being significantly cheaper.

Mtech kits are definitely something I think people still like, but the cost is extremely prohibitive. I mean, 10-15 years ago you could still order Mtech-2 all new from BMW, which isn't possible now. and the aftermarket kits are still total garbage.

Diving boards, I think I have heard a few people that say they like them, but I don't think they are the majority. I still think they are ugly as hell. :p

There are probably more aftermarket parts now, and more services for repairing things like computer modules and instrument clusters. But OEM parts straight from BMW are definitely less plentiful than they were 10 years ago. It's been a while since I looked but it seemed like every other month something else was going NLA.

Blunt was selling parts back in the day and still is. I'd still choose them for the relationship and service alone. Newer BMW forums hang off the ECS Tuning nut sack pretty hard, but I think they are probably just stupid and like pretty pictures - the prices are not good, the shipping is really expensive and the service is awful. Not to mention the whole Turner debacle.

You know what's really crazy? Smiley lights are basically impossible to find new. Even the original Depo lights with glass lenses are all gone (and honestly, they aren't as bad as the newer stuff). I got one of the last sets of new smoked Hella's when they were already out of production.

M20s are definitely having a resurgence. It's sad because now it's actually kind of hard to find a good M20B25, back then people would just take them to the dump practically - when realistically the M50's that they were swapped out for should have been the ones taken to the trash bin.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        There are probably more aftermarket parts now, and more services for repairing things like computer modules and instrument clusters. But OEM parts straight from BMW are definitely less plentiful than they were 10 years ago. It's been a while since I looked but it seemed like every other month something else was going NLA.

You know what's really crazy? Smiley lights are basically impossible to find new. Even the original Depo lights with glass lenses are all gone (and honestly, they aren't as bad as the newer stuff). I got one of the last sets of new smoked Hella's when they were already out of production.
                        Not only are things going NLA, everything is also more expensive, sometimes much more expensive. I think door seals, if available at all, are at least double what I paid for one several years ago, just as an example.

Euro parts generally I think are harder to get, since IIRC, they now require you to prove you own a euro car to get euro parts, ie, headlights, bumper trim, etc. I've never understood the smiley craze. I guess they look kinda cool? I just don't see the point. Euro-coolness aside, it's just city lights, which are kinda pointless. Not worth it IMO. Same with euro grills, they look barely any different.

Comment

A lot has changed in the last ten years. The older I get, the more I appreciate these cars in closer to stock form. 100% reversible modifications are fine, like suspension and wheels, etc, but I am all for leaving the M20 in and doing something cool with it. My last three E30s are the last ones I'll own, and only one of them has an engine conversion - the other two are staying M20 powered.

That being said, I miss buying lots of decent, usually running E30s for under a grand. Those were great times - now they're long gone.

My vote - keep it OEM+
                          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                            Not only are things going NLA, everything is also more expensive, sometimes much more expensive. I think door seals, if available at all, are at least double what I paid for one several years ago, just as an example.

Euro parts generally I think are harder to get, since IIRC, they now require you to prove you own a euro car to get euro parts, ie, headlights, bumper trim, etc. I've never understood the smiley craze. I guess they look kinda cool? I just don't see the point. Euro-coolness aside, it's just city lights, which are kinda pointless. Not worth it IMO. Same with euro grills, they look barely any different.
                            Maybe you forgot what it's like to have stock sealed beam headlights. A new set of projectors with an HID kit is a huge improvement. The city light thing is totally irrelevant, although I do think they look cool.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                            X