October 2019 Car of the Month: jph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October 2019 Car of the Month: jph

***Editors Note: I cant tell you how excited I would get when I would see updates from Jason. His build is truly one of those "money no object" builds, but really its probably the case of do it right the first time and trying not to add up the receipts when its all said and done. As you can tell, no expense was spared and this holds true to the adage, "Fast, Reliable, Cheap: pick 2" ... I certainly hope the car lived up to expectations because it certainly looks like it would! Congrats Jason, you're R3vlimiteds October 2019 Car of the Month***"
    Factory options: Manual sunroof, power windows, central locking

Color: Full color change to BMW San Marino Blue

Interior color: OEM Volkswagen Mk7 plaid

Engine modifications: Garrett GTX3582 turbo, Arc Asylum oil pan,M52 block bored to 84.5mm, Molnar 135mm forged connecting rods, custom spec JE forged pistons, Total Seal piston rings, S52 crank balanced and polished, King Racing Tri-Armor main and rod bearings, ARP main and head studs, S52 head with Supertech 85 lb valve springs, single groove retainers, stainless intake valves, Inconel exhaust valves, bronze valve guides, and OEM valve stem seals, oil pump is stock housing with new OEM internals and Achilles Motorsports upgraded oil pump sprocket with gear shaft and bolt (no more nut) and safety wired, S52 cams and trays, CES stock thickness cut ring head gasket, OEM OBD1 magnesium valve cover and coil packs, ATI Super Damper harmonic damper/crank pulley, S54 oil filter housing, every engine bolt, chain, sprocket, chain, guides, tensioners, oil squirters, etc were bought new from BMW. Not a single piece of original hardware was reused inside the engine.

Exhaust: Custom TIG welded 3” stainless exhaust from turbo back with v-bands and Vibrant resonator and muffler

Transmission: E46 M3 6-speed (Getrag 420G)

Differential: Euro E28 M535i 210mm 3.25 LSD with E46 M3 diff cover and custom reinforced rear crossmember

Suspension: Ground Control full coilover suspension w/ 525 lb/in front and 750 lb/in rear springs, Ground Control front camber plates, Eibach front sway bar, Condor Speed Shop bushings throughout, Z3M rear trailing arms and axles, Mason Engineering front strut tower bar,

Wheels: Apex ARC-8 17x8.5 front and 17x9.5 rear with Toyo Proxes R888R tires in 235/40 front and 275/40 rear

Exterior modifications: Shaved side moldings, welded in metal flares on all four corners using E46 front fenders and custom fabrication, shaved radio antenna hole, OEM iS side skirts, OEM Mtech 2 front lower valance with RyanG splitter and OEM foglight blank off plates, AC Schnitzer replica rear lower valance, full glass out color change to BMW San Marino Blue, all exterior trim powder coated in semi-gloss black, genuine Alpina trunk lid spoiler, all window, trunk, sunroof, hood, etc gaskets, strips, and seals new OEM with the exception of driver and passenger door seals, OEM Euro headlight surrounds, OEM Euro front and rear bumper trim, DEPO smoked “smiley” headlamps with complete retrofit of bi-xenon projectors using components from The Retrofit Source

Interior modifications: New OEM dashboard, new black OEM interior carpet, fully rebuilt front sport seats with new seat shocks, all new OEM foam, and custom re-upholstering by NineStitch using marine grade vinyl for the bolsters and OEM Volkswagen plaid cloth centers, 3M Crystalline window tint, CA Tuned black replacement headliner with rear parcel shelf and sun visor trim panels upholstered to match, rear speakers in parcel shelf deleted, check light display in sun visor trim panel deleted, 370mm Mtech 2 steering wheel re-upholstered in leather with ///M tri-stich pattern, leather hand brake and shift boots with ///M tri-stitching, Husco center armrest with slide out cupholders, custom aluminum cupholder with integrated cell phone mount, cigarette lighter, USB connection, and audio input jack, OEM BMW all-weather floor mats, OEM BMW Performance pedal covers, aftermarket aluminum footrest, OEM Mtech door sills, ZHP 6-speed shift knob, custom gauge panel in factory cluster location.

Story behind the car: I had a super clean alpine white ’89 sedan that I was planning to do an S52 swap into. I began gathering some parts for the swap and somewhere along the way decided to go turbo S52. Of course this would necessitate larger tires and beefed up everything. I couldn’t bring myself to go cutting up such a clean sedan when a coupe was more what I had in mind for this all-out build. I sold the sedan and found a very clean ‘cirrus blue 90 coupe with nearly 300k miles on it about 5 hours away. I borrowed a trailer from a friend and headed down to North Carolina from Virginia to pick it up. When I arrived it was pretty much what I expected: terrible re-spray with runs in the paint, worn out interior, reeked horribly of cigarette smoke…, but drove decently. Ok, I figured this would work since I was planning a shell-up resto anyway.
    As things tend to go with me I went overboard in every area of the build. Changed from an S52 turbo to a modified M52 turbo and changed direction in some many other areas over the course of the build that I can’t even remember them all. No matter how much planning you do for a build you always end up changing your mind and that costs money…lots of money. The woes of such an expensive hobby! Anyway, I had been hoarding parts for quite some time to build out the alpine sedan and my house started to become an extension of my garage.

I bought the car in March 2016 and immediately began stripping it down to a shell. Work continued intensely for the next two years. I’m in the Navy and during this time I made a cross-country move from Virginia to California and had the car shipped in an enclosed trailer as a roller with its major components installed. Once settled in California I immediately got back to work. About seven months later I was ready for the E30’s first start. Went off without a hitch and I couldn’t have been happier. A few small bugs to work out in the beginning as with any build, which included a faulty IAC valve that drove me bananas trying to diagnose. Shaking the car down was MUCH less work than I had imagined it would be and I attribute that to the wealth of knowledge on R3V and the many members who are willing to contribute knowledge to the community. There is simply no way I could have completed this build without the support of the R3V community, and for that I am thankful.

I have logged more than 2,800 amazing miles and plan to sell the car soon. I’m sure its next owner will enjoy it as much as I have!

Last edited by 2mAn; 10-01-2019, 08:27 AM.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Cool car, i don't know how you find and select these cars and owners but good work. I really like the interior, but the color is a bit too bright for me I think.

One thing I realized is there is a difference between car guys. Some people like to build them. They enjoy dreaming it up, getting the parts together, and then putting it together, starting with an empty canvas and marking it all their own. This enthusiast gets bored with a finished product and wants to move on and start again.

Then there is another type of car person who, one way or another, ends up with a car and they enjoy owning it. Maybe they fix things here or there and upgrade this and that but in the end they keep the car purely for the satisfaction of owning it, enjoying it and or driving it.

It seems you are more the first, but some people who are the second type need the first type to build a car so they can enjoy it. And i'm sure the next owner of this one will enjoy this one.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Excellent choice! What a color.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
        Cool car, i don't know how you find and select these cars and owners but good work. I really like the interior, but the color is a bit too bright for me I think.
        Im always checking out build threads, harass people via PM and eventually it all comes together. I was really hoping to feature back to back cars that had an awesome history, but it always works out ... this amazing build will be backed up by another similarly high-po build.

Basically, if you want to be a featured R3V car of the month, share your progress, keep those build threads updated and know that Im likely watching and waiting... like Lionel Ritchie
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

this thing is awesome. Are there plans for a next build in JPH's future?
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

• jph
            jph commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, buddy! Right now I'm focusing on the house I recently bought. But you know me, something is definitely in the cards!

Very impressive. I'll be staring at these photos for the rest of the day. :)

Comment

Ooof that's amazing. Pretty wild detail I wouldn't have known all the work to fit e46 flares on there. Just thought it was aggressively rolled at first.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

At first glance, I couldn't tell why it looked so clean with those fender flares. I'm usually not a fan of flares on an e30. However, those deleted side moldings goes perfectly with them. Gosh this is such a clean car!

Also, is that OEM tinted bronze glass?
              sigpic

Comment

• jph
                jph commented
                Editing a comment
                It's not factory tinted. It's 3M Crystalline 50% tint. Great stuff.

This build was an inspiration. Great job.
              sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Sexy!!! Simply BADASS!!!

Comment

Thank you, everyone. After watching many COTMs featured over the years, it's an honor to have mine here now. It was a long road to get here and I'm truly humbled.

Comment

WOW. Amazing car. A local too :) Congrats and well deserved.

Comment

Need info on that center console cup and phone holder bracket!

Comment

• jph
                        jph commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was custom made by a forum member here. Here's the link, doesn't seem like he's making them anymore though: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...d-phone-holder

Full disclosure: I had a bad experience with the transaction and you can read about it toward the end of the thread. I think it was one of the last few posts in the thread.

how many ponies does this thing use to move the wheels? Something majestic about an m52 turbo.

Comment

how many ponies does this thing use to move the wheels? Something majestic about an m52 turbo.

Also, the attention to detail on this car is impressive. the dash alone is just on point.

Comment

• jph
                          jph commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey buddy, thank you! It was a labor of love and it's also very therapeutic for me. Currently running 93 octane at 16 PSI and it's making 489 whp / 413 wtq. On 100 octane at 24 PSI it made 596 whp. Couldn't get the dyno to pick up RPM so no torque figures to go with the 596 whp, but I'd guess around 500ish wtq.
                      Working...
                      X