No announcement yet.

Corey's JDM-Tech 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The car looks great, the story is interesting, and it looks like you have a great plan for some really tasteful upgrades. Keep it coming!
    '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Had a busy last few weekends, drove to Canada to unveil my e30 to my friends from the Great White North then down to North Carolina for The Vintage the following weekend. My friends across the border were supposed to be surprised by this car in 2020 when we all usually take a week trip to Tail of the Dragon, but thanks to Covid, that never happened and I had another year to attempt to keep this car a secret and build up its capabilities. They were quite surprised when I showed up in this opposed to my recent purchase I hadn't kept from them but was also very excited about; a 2011 E90 335d

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210912_114714 (Custom).jpg Views:	4 Size:	94.3 KB ID:	10031655

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210912_161037 (Custom).jpg Views:	4 Size:	107.9 KB ID:	10031656

Yes, my friends have much much cooler cars than I do.

After getting caught in a torrential downpour on the way home from Canada, I must say I was incredibly pleased with the wet performance of the Direzza ZIIIs, no hydroplaning to speak of, granted I wasn't going through any twisties, but with near zero visibility in the rain I never felt anything but planted. An 8 hour round trip was a good shakedown run for next weekend's 24hrs of driving I had planned.

Loaded up with camping gear and a passenger for the trip, my girlfriend and I set out on our long weekend. Thirty minutes on Michigan highways made it apparent I hadn't rolled the quarters enough to clear with the car loaded down and a full tank of gas. Luckily once we were out of Michigan and the roads transformed from the moonlike wasteland that we call an expressway to something that resembled a driving surface. Other than the increased rubbing over bridge/overpass dips, the trip was just very long and uneventful. The next morning we departed Knoxville on the way to the Dragon. Meeting up with a local friend, I persuaded the right quarter with a prybar and leather belt protecting the wheel (don't panic, this was the quarter with existing damage that needs paint work still) and we headed out to U.S.129.

Click image for larger version  Name:	'15425132-129Slayer (Custom) (1).jpg Views:	4 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	10031658

Shortly after we passed the overlook, we ran up on an 18 wheeler whose GPS had mistakenly sent them this way. I assume the driver also can't read because there are multiple "NO TRUCKS LONGER THAN 30FT PAST THIS SIGN" signs to keep this from happening. Using a pull-off, we waited what we though was long enough then proceeded to get a couple minutes of driving in before we caught up to the parade of cars held up by the semi. Unfortunately we didn't get a clean run, which is in itself a rarity, but we still had 4 hours of driving ahead of us to get to Ashville via a slight detour to Franklin, NC. The backwoods fender rolling certainly helped me to be more confident carrying more speed into corners, but it definitely needed to be improved upon once getting it home. Heading down 28 to Franklin we slowed the pace a bit but pressed on towards lunch at a surprisingly good French restaurant attached to a gas station, yeah, I wasn't expecting that either. Once we made it to the Clarion in Ashville we parked and perused the lot slowly filling with e30s, 2002s, and other classics.

After hanging out for the afternoon, we headed up to the Hot Springs campground and set up for the night.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210918_192951 (Custom).jpg Views:	4 Size:	88.8 KB ID:	10031660

The next day was the formal show at Hot Springs Resort and I managed to take almost no pictures due to getting to speak with a ton of really great people. So many unique cars down there, it really is a great show. Weather was a bit hot but none of the predicted rain showed up until around 8pm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210918_141041 (Custom).jpg Views:	4 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	10031657
      sigpic
      Follow me.
      1987 325e stroker -all solid everything NOW BOOSTED
      1993 325i Daily Black on Black Sedan M3 wannabe
      Originally posted by 8380 Labs
      i heard he saved pennies from the time he was a small boy then melted them all down to paint his car.

Comment

No trip to the South is complete without stopping for some decent barbeque, so on the Sunday drive back to Michigan we stopped in Lexington, KY for some brisket and continued on our 10 hour return trip. Had to stop for a good midwest sunset just before getting home for a pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210919_194611 (Custom).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	10031663

Really happy with how the car is turning out and love driving it. Not sure what exactly is next on the list besides a more aggressive roll in the rear; it still has a ways to go before having any visual effect from the exterior lines. It handled both trips really well and drives the way I want it to although I do definitely have a few ideas bouncing around.
        sigpic
        Follow me.
        i heard he saved pennies from the time he was a small boy then melted them all down to paint his car.

Comment

Was actually parked next to you for a bit at the Clarion when I first arrived, wish I had recognized your car from this thread. Definitely a fun weekend with some awesome cars, yours included!
          '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
            Was actually parked next to you for a bit at the Clarion when I first arrived, wish I had recognized your car from this thread. Definitely a fun weekend with some awesome cars, yours included!
            Oh man I wish I would've realized that was you! Your car is incredibly well done.
            sigpic
            Follow me.

Comment

Cool build. Fun story. I like the ignorance of flying and driving. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it hits the fan.
              Simon
              Current Car:
              -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
              -1975 Alfa Romeo Giulia Nuova Super 1300, the never-ending name & project

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Cool build. Fun story. I like the ignorance of flying and driving. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it hits the fan.
                Rolled the dice again on the 335d I recently picked up; purchased in Sacramento, drove up the coast to Portland then to Yellowstone and back to Michigan. Had to patch a nail in Wyoming, but other than that it was an awesome trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	335d  (Custom).JPG
Views:	165
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	10031808
                sigpic
                Follow me.

Comment

Yea the more modern cars are relatively painless. Ive done two fly & drives with ~50 year old cars. Thats always fun.
                  Simon
                  Current Car:
                  -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
                  -1975 Alfa Romeo Giulia Nuova Super 1300, the never-ending name & project

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Stoked you updated this!! I really like the wheel choice, BTW- it's unique but fits the MT2 vibe.
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

yer the wheels are very cool. That action shot above in front of the blue evo is awesome.

Comment

those wheels look incredible on it. well done

and that cosmos... super rare pokemon

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys! The GTR and the Cosmo are on completely different ends of the spectrum but both incredibly cool. The GTR begs to be driven faster and the Cosmo is content at cruising at whatever speed you want while feeling like you're driving a 7mpg couch. The e30 is in storage for the winter but winter plans include a front splitter, exhaust system, and some paint work. We'll see how far I get on that since the e90 tuning bug has hit me so I'll be giving that a good cleaning along with an intercooler, dying the headliner, and possibly wheels if the budget allows.
                          sigpic
                          Follow me.

Comment

Working...
                          X