X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Originally posted by PieterVN View Post

Do you have a similar kit installed Mike?
    I do! I have a spare small case S4.10 that I've test fitted (long story) that has a stud kit:

20190209_135604 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• PieterVN
    replied
    Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    Great work on the rear diff and everything else. The stud kit does make installation MUCH easier.
    Do you have a similar kit installed Mike?

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Great work on the rear diff and everything else. The stud kit does make installation MUCH easier.

Leave a comment:

• PieterVN
    replied
    Originally posted by AlpinStar View Post
    Pieter - amazing car, with a rare color I've still not seen in the wild. I can tell the car is in great hands!

By the way - your English is great, particularly since you Belgians juggle like 3 official languages that aren't English, right?! I lived in France for a couple years, so I'm about one-and-a-half lingual, but you're on another level :).
    Yeah, i love this color too. I've seen quite a bit of Brilliant red, Diamantschwarz and silver iS's over here, but only seen one other blue one.. maybe it was more expensive from factory or '80's people weren't very fond of blue idk..

Thanks! Yes sir, in Belgium we speak Flemish (our own version of Dutch), French and some people speak a bit German. It's very complicated but comes down to this: Belgium is divided in 3 pieces regarding languages (Flanders, Wallonia & the German speaking community).
    In school we all learn the basics of Dutch, French and English. Some do learn German depending on which education your following.

I only had one year of German in school but i'm very interested in this language and learned a lot on my own. Also my job as an international automotive purchaser helped me to expand my vocabulary in these different languages.

Leave a comment:

• AlpinStar
    replied
    Pieter - amazing car, with a rare color I've still not seen in the wild. I can tell the car is in great hands!

By the way - your English is great, particularly since you Belgians juggle like 3 official languages that aren't English, right?! I lived in France for a couple years, so I'm about one-and-a-half lingual, but you're on another level :).

Leave a comment:

• PieterVN
    replied
    Also good news, a friend of mine will mediablast my diff cover and press in the new bush on his hydraulic press. Should have it back by the end of the week. So it will be a joy to look at after all .
    I already regret that I did not order a set of new yellow passivated hardware..

received_1150866905348720 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

When removing the cover I checked the gears inside for wear and damages. All looks okay, but on the spider gears that turn when cornering there are small pits.
    What are you guy's thoughts about this? I didn't make any noise when driving and I hope it will at least last another couple of months/years.

IMG_20210110_115758 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

IMG_20210110_115838__01 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

IMG_20210110_115812 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• PieterVN
    replied
    Originally posted by Glaede View Post
    Good job on the diff!

Do you have a link for the studs?

Thanks!
    Hi Glaede, found them in Germany: https://www.trackfab.de/p/differential-stehbolzen

Leave a comment:

• Glaede
    replied
    Good job on the diff!

Do you have a link for the studs?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• PieterVN
    replied
    Waiting on parts is frustrating

Did receive my set of mounting studs, probably going to change out the tensioning roundels for nyloc nuts.

IMG_20210107_115654 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

So looking forward to spring, I want to ride!!!

Leave a comment:

• PieterVN
    replied
    Today some time has been spent on the differential. Gave it coat matte black. At the moment this will be on hold until I get the parts. Mounting studs are on their way from Germany

IMG_20201230_173155 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

IMG_20201230_173139 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

Also yesterday I received my long awaited DIN to BMW adapter to install on my wiring loom so I could fit my original BMW Reverse RDS Radio.

Freshly cut:

IMG_20201229_151516 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

I labeled all the wires to be sure that I connected them correct on my car. Also pretinned the wires to make work super easy.

IMG_20201229_154127 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

I did not take pictures of the soldered loom because I was too eager to test out my radio and see how it looked installed in the car. I also found out that the wiring for the retrofitted tweeters was not correct so opened everything back up to check up on these wires and installed them correctly. After waiting a couple of weeks to receive the adapter I must say I'm quite happy with the result of sound quality of the original Premium Speakers without the amp. Can't wait to install my rear shelf with the last 2 speakers. Still waiting on the last speaker mounting clips... Also will be looking for a antenna adapter to go from DIN to ISO connector..

IMG_20201230_141518 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

Small video when testing my Phil Collins Serious Hits Cassettetape.

Leave a comment:

• econti
    replied
    Just get bolts from a hardware in the correct grade and cut the heads off them, otherwise if you have any spares I think some bellhousing bolts are the correct thread

Leave a comment:

• PieterVN
    replied
    Good news, I installed the differentials and no more bearing noises. So pulled it from the car again to start everything to give it a new set of seals and clean it up.
    I then started chipping all the loose chunks of rust with an old screwdriver and a rubber mallet. Also scratched and removed the grease that was in all the small nooks and crannies.
    At work we have this heavy duty Kärcher Hot Water pressure washer that I used to give the thing a last clean up. At home I applied a layer of Brunox rust converter with a brush. Also gave the flanges a coat.
    Next on the list will be giving it a nice coat of matte black paint.
    I also removed the fresh oil I have put in a couple of days ago, it was already a grayish-brown colour. I'm thinking it got this colour because of water that got inside while cleaning? Only drove 4 or 5 kilometers with this oil..can't hurt to give the diff an oil flush?
    I already started looking for the output flange oil seals, cover seal, o-rings, new crush washers.. dealer here is in holiday so I have to have some patience.
    Most of the hardware can be reused, but I tend to get me some diff mounting studs to make the installation a bit easier. Because it was a complete pain in the a**. I think I fr*cked one of the threads on the bolts/diff. 3 of the 4 goes in smooth.
    Only thing that bothers me is that these seem quite pricey online and most come from US suppliers. I do not want to pay +50,-€ for 4 studs.
    So at the moment I'm trying to figure where I can buy some similar studs.

IMG_20201228_152047 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

IMG_20201228_150238 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

I'm still thinking if I want to media blast the cover plate when I remove it or not. But I do think I also need to get a new set of gold-plated hardware if I do it. I also do not have a blasting cabinet...yet..
    Maybe next time, if I get a full rebuilt example or if I rebuild my other diff? It will already be a great improvement anyways.

Leave a comment:

• PieterVN
    replied
    Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
    The Mtech II rear bumper equipped for a single outlet exhaust is indeed quite rare. Lazur is such a nice color, e30s look best in deep dark colors imo.
    I didn't know that these kind of bumpers were more rare than the double tailpipe bumpers. But cool detail to know thanks!
    I must say, I do like the look of dark colors with M-Tech but I also have a sweet spot for silver (Lachssilber) E30's with M-Tech parts. They emphasize the shapes of the bodywork very well.
    Not too long ago I found some pictures of a Malachite Green 325i 2-door with M-Tech kit. The combination with the staggered 16 inch Alpina wheels...this car makes me weak in the knees

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
    What is it with you guys in Belgium... :)

Quality work here!
    Hahaha, I think you are referring to Martijn's 325iX Touring? Let's say the amount of detail and work I put in my car is nowhere near his car. I try my best with my brief knowledge, skills and tools.
    I never had any technical schooling but I'm really eager to try things out and teach myself a thing or two. Also I'm not scared to ask for advice from more experienced people.
    Last edited by PieterVN; 12-27-2020, 05:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tzantushka
    replied
    What is it with you guys in Belgium... :)

Quality work here!

Leave a comment:

• E30 Wagen
    replied
    Originally posted by PieterVN View Post

The Mtech II rear bumper equipped for a single outlet exhaust is indeed quite rare. Lazur is such a nice color, e30s look best in deep dark colors imo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X