No announcement yet.

$1000 Sedan - Turbo Build - SOLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iso_hi, what'd it hit? The AC line or the frame rail?
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Your exhaust manifold looks great, I think I would have pulled the trigger on that if it was available while I was building my setup. Love that it's a split housing too.

Get ready for wonderful noises and exercising self control

Comment

It hit the frame. I think if it wasn't an IW setup it would have worked. I'm determined to keep AC living here in Arizona.

I ended up ordering something from maxpeedingrods and a 6 psi wyntonm 44mm wastegate. I was able to return the other turbo since I ordered from Amazon.
        1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Over the last couple of days I got my vband wastegate flange welded and installed.

Got my new turbo this morning. Thankfully it fit just fine and cleared the AC lines with plenty of room.

Specs are 0.70 A/R 0.82 Turbine, which to be honest I'm not really sure what they mean. Wastegate spring is set to 6psi.

1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Any wasted spark plans?

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
              Any wasted spark plans?
              Not at the moment. I'll def look into it in the future.

Aaaaand she starts! Still a stock 2.7 other than the head. I wanted to use all my old parts since I knew they worked. The last thing I wanted was to order all new parts and then have to troubleshoot multiple things.

https://live.staticflickr.com/video/...SI6MTY2MzAxMjkxMywicyI6IjEwMzIzZjA0YWExNzkxMmFmYjhiZTZiY2RjYzA2Z DM0MzYyYTY4MTIiLCJ2IjoxfQ

I'll be ordering larger injectors, a 3.0 bar regulator, and an intercooler next. I pretty much just need to put the cooling system in and the driveshaft and we're good to go.
              Last edited by iso_hi; 10-13-2022, 04:42 AM.
              1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Nice thread. Your making this turbo build look easy.

Comment

So after starting the car I began looking into what I needed for fuel. I ordered a Walbro fuel pump. Then I learned that eta injectors are different and I wouldn't be able to swap in a different set as simply as I thought. I looked into a rrfpr but there was a high chance I'd need to replace all the fuel lines so that was out.

I'm just going to convert it to 325i and then use megasquirt. I have ordered the toothed harmonic balancer and the harness.
                  1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by iso_hi View Post
                    Aaaaand she starts! Still a stock 2.7 other than the head. I wanted to use all my old parts since I knew they worked. The last thing I wanted was to order all new parts and then have to troubleshoot multiple things.
                    Video not working for me.

Standalone ECU is nice, gives you full control.
                    Last edited by Panici; 10-13-2022, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                      Video not working for me.

Standalone ECU is nice, gives you full control.
                      Does this link to video work? https://www.flickr.com/photos/191501...8/52353274321/

I've been collecting parts since my last update. Most importantly I just ordered a refurbished MS2PNP from DIYAutoTune along with a GM IAT. I also have the 325i engine harness. I think I just need a CPS and bracket to have all the parts necessary to start up again.

For injectors I still don't know what to do. Would 24lb injectors be enough for 6psi or should I go bigger?
                      1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Works, and sounds good to boot!

Comment

I really don't think you'll have enough headroom in the 24s for 6psi, I'd go at least 36/42ish. Green Giants (Bosch 0280155968) are 42lb.
                          Beyond that is probably overkill, but if you do, I'd look at some size of Bosch EV14, but make sure that either the length is "Long" or else you have spacers, and that the connector is either an EV1 style, or you get adapters/connectors to repin your harness. .

Regardless of what injector you choose, buy it from somewhere reputable because any popular injector has a ton of knockoffs out there.
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I know nothing about turbos but I also think 24# is too small. Give yourself space to move up. You know you're not going to stay at 6psi so why buy small injectors just to have to upgrade later.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I ended up ordering some Siemens Deka 60lb injectors. Pretty much the last part I needed before putting everything back together with the 325i harness. And I also ordered the crank position sensor bracket, on Etsy out of all places. It was pretty tough to find and expensive for such a little piece.
                              1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Does this link to video work? https://www.flickr.com/photos/191501...8/52353274321/

I've been collecting parts since my last update. Most importantly I just ordered a refurbished MS2PNP from DIYAutoTune along with a GM IAT. I also have the 325i engine harness. I think I just need a CPS and bracket to have all the parts necessary to start up again.

For injectors I still don't know what to do. Would 24lb injectors be enough for 6psi or should I go bigger?
                                you already bought a tunable ECU. so you're not going the risky route like i did. go nuts on the injectors, just get it running on auto-tune and then talk to a tuner. see: ForcedFirebird

to answer your question about turbos:

those specs refer to the size of the turbine housing compared to the turbine wheel (that's A/R), and the size of the wheel itselfl. lower numbers mean you spool quicker but can handle less boost. higher numbers mean you'll have a little lag and then hit hard in the powerband, so you've gotta launch right.​ compressor specs matter too, so the turbo nuts here need to know what the sizing is there too. could be basic T3, T04E, or ???

my eta drift car back in the day was fine at 6psi, but i wish i'd had the time to get the head yanked and drilled for an m20b25 cam before i deployed to iraq and had to sell the car because i had nowhere to store it. am i reading correctly that you've swapped on a m20b25 head and fuel system already? in that case, lots more room for boost than half a bar, because you've dropped compression ratio and cammed it. double-check the impedance on those injectors, they're different between etas and i/iS cars. that mighta been one of your headaches.

no reason not to start with a conservative approach at first, though. it'll still be fun, you should at least make US E36M power.
                                past:
                                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                                1985 323i baur
                                current:
                                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Working...
                                X