No announcement yet.

$1000 Sedan - Turbo Build - SOLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a lot of progress to the E30 recently. I've been dealing with a transmission replacement on my Focus ST. I got it back last week but had to take it back to the dealer today for overheating issues. I hate the dealer.

Luckily my contact hit me up to pick up a part I've been waiting on so it made the day a bit better.

1987 325 Turbo

Comment

I used to live in Modesto. Nice score on this gem! Loving the progress.
      90 Bronzit 325is
      16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Awesome so far, there's always hiccups but I like where this is going.
        1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

From my experience driving these cars is the best thing you can do for them. Each time I've let either of mine sit something random pops up, I'm sure driving it consistently has something to do with the CEL going out.

Nice work!! Sucks about the window, but digging the progress

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
            From my experience driving these cars is the best thing you can do for them. Each time I've let either of mine sit something random pops up, I'm sure driving it consistently has something to do with the CEL going out.

Nice work!! Sucks about the window, but digging the progress
            This does seem to be the case unless it sits in a climate controlled garage with a battery disconnect in use.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

This does seem to be the case unless it sits in a climate controlled garage with a battery disconnect in use.
              True, I have noticed some better luck in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post

True, I have noticed some better luck in that regard.
                The CEL has not turned on anywhere else other than the smog station. I drove it about 1000 miles in 2-3 weeks and I didn't have any issues. Although I did get a whiff of gas and when I checked the engine bay, and injector was leaking.. I have the o-rings I just haven't had time recently. My Focus ST has been taking up my time but hopefully I can paint the IS spoiler and address the injector soon.
                1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Bummer about the window, Nice to see you got it sealed back up quick.

Keep up the progress! Makes me kinda want a $1000 E30

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Not too much progress since last month. I really haven't had the urge to buy a bunch of parts like my previous cars so I'm just fixing things as I go and as I get a better idea of what I want to do long term.

Been having bad luck with the daily. After having to pay 4k to replace the transmission, a month later some dude hits four cars on our street including my Focus ST. I was going to move the E30 on to the driveway to work on it so I parked the ST on the street the previous night. Bad decision.

The E30 was behind my Focus but luckily it didn't get hit. The car behind the E30 got hit as well. If the E30 wasn't so small and narrow it would have been sideswiped as well. The Focus has been in the shop since Mid-March. I'm hoping to get it back today or tomorrow but since then the E30 has been promoted to daily driver. It's been pretty good aside from a few things I have to fix once I get my other car back.

First I started noticing a strong fuel smell when idled for a while like at a drive-thru. I popped the hood with the car on and saw injector 6 was leaking a good amount of fuel through the lower o-ring. Typically I'd buy refurbished injectors, take the intake manifold off, and replace everything in sight. Not this time. I removed the valve cover, pulled the rail, bought o-rings for $2.99 at O'Reillys and that was good enough to fix the leak. I gave the injectors a decent cleaning as well. I'm not too sure if this engine is staying so I'm doing just enough to keep it running.

Another improvement I made was to the steering wheel. When I got the car I noticed the previous owner stitched a piece of leather around the wheel. I figured the original was wasted. But one day I was bored sitting in my car and started picking at the threads that were loose. Eventually I pulled off enough to expose the original. It looked great. Who would do this? E30 owners of course.

Next is the biggest issue. Since I purchased the car it's made a knocking sound on the 1-2 shift and when decelerating. At first I thought it was the diff but since making the car my daily the sound is more violent and there is an obvious rattle under the second half of the center console. I am 99.9% sure I have to swap the center support bearing and guibo. Is it easy to remove and press the new bearing at home without special tools or should I look for another driveshaft and take my time?

And since I've been away from work for a couple weeks I had time so I decided to mount the cowcatcher to check the fit before ordering paint. It gave me the idea to go with an "eS Sedan" build. So I'll be getting an iS spoiler next along with sport seats, manual transmission, and HR Sport springs. There is a really strong urge to do a proper M30 swap. The last one I had was purchased swapped already and there was a lot I did not like about it.

That's it for now. In the meantime I'll just be looking for small missing trim pieces and bringing the chrome back on the bumpers. Not really digging the peeling plastic dip. Let's see if I can make this sunroof open as well.

1987 325 Turbo

Comment

I think a proper ES build is a great idea, but I think a 2.7/2.8/2.9 Type M20 build is the way to go. Will fly under the smog- radar is done right
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        I think a proper ES build is a great idea, but I think a 2.7/2.8/2.9 Type M20 build is the way to go. Will fly under the smog- radar is done right
                        I would love that but I'd def like a garage to be able to take my time with it. I'll have a better idea of my situation by the end of the month. I've seen some threads with 2.9-3.1 M20s but never see much about the cost. Any ideas?
                        1987 325 Turbo

Comment

I think the formula that ForcedFirebird uses is a M52B28 crankshaft, 130mm ETA rods and OEM M20B25 pistons and (im not 100% sure on the #) 3mm shaved deck. This yields a ~10:1 2.8L M20 and with proper tuning its a 200whp setup
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

this is looking really good. i must say i am rather jealous of the front airdam

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

Originally posted by benwalsh91 View Post
                              this is looking really good. i must say i am rather jealous of the front airdam
                              If I find another I'll save it for you.
                              1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by iso_hi View Post

If I find another I'll save it for you.
                                do it!! i am, due to land in San Francisco on 4th August!! that's if my government allow us to fly, they are now saying if you leave the country for non essential travel you can be faced with a £5,000 fine (each person)

but also on the subject if you was after any euro parts that are small and light enough to fit into my luggage let me know and i can try and grab some and bring them with me.

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

Working...
                                X