No announcement yet.

$1000 Sedan - Turbo Build - SOLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving how this car is coming along. Start with the basics and go from there.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Loving how this car is coming along. Start with the basics and go from there.
      Thanks! I've only spent like $200 so far plus a good amount of elbow grease.

Today I went to go smog the car after driving it around town for a week. The heater has been working really well, temp stays in the middle, no weird rpm jumps. Everything has been great aside from needing an alignment. They were about to start my smog test when the mechanic comes in the waiting room and informs me that the Check Engine light popped on right before they started. WTF. I drove it around to make sure it got up to temp before going to get the test. Luckily they were cool and told me to come back later so they don't fail me and charge me. It drove fine all the way home. Once I pulled up to my driveway I turned the engine off then on and what do you know, no check engine light. Popped the hood open and everything looks fine. Weird. I'll just drive it more and see if I can get the Check Engine light to turn on again.

I grabbed a cheap USB Clarion deck on OfferUp for $20 to replace the silver old Kenwood/FM Transmitter combo. I'll probably swap it again later for something more period correct but for now I just wanted direct USB at least. It's currently missing speakers in the front and the ghetto-rigged 6x9's in the back are blown. I'm more than likely just going to look for deals on speakers as well to keep it on a low budget.

Out of 6 E30's I've never had one that has had clean radio wiring. They have all been shit. I'm guilty of a few bad installs myself I guess. It was easy enough to find the wires I needed at least. I'll post a photo of the new radio once I mount it correctly. I'll probably wait until I get a LED light bar so I don't have to disassemble the HVAC panel twice.

For now I probably won't have too many updates. I've been thinking about a turbo project since I've never gone that direction. My younger brother also has a 99 M3 he doesn't drive anymore so I might make him an offer if he continues to neglect it, he's all about the Prius life now (and his VQ-swapped 240sx). I'm really looking for a IS/ES front spoiler if anyone has a lead on one.
      1987 325 Turbo

Comment

So I drove the car around for like 30 more minutes. Some full throttle driving, let it idle while I checked tire pressure, and some around town driving. The whole time the Check Engine light was off, the rpm needle doesn't even move a bit or bogs when idled. So I took it to smog and AGAIN the Check Engine shows up. Any ideas?
        1987 325 Turbo

Comment

The idle gear may not fail, but it could. For peace of mind, I'd take it apart again sometime soon to replace it. But I'd probably wait until the next big maintenance item pops up (oil pan gasket, intake manifold gasket, etc).

Here's a thread about it:
          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...e-gear-failure

Did they show you the "Check Engine Light", my money is they're looking at the "Check" light and don't know to press the reset button or hit the brakes.
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
            The idle gear may not fail, but it could. For peace of mind, I'd take it apart again sometime soon to replace it. But I'd probably wait until the next big maintenance item pops up (oil pan gasket, intake manifold gasket, etc).

Here's a thread about it:
            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...e-gear-failure

Did they show you the "Check Engine Light", my money is they're looking at the "Check" light and don't know to press the reset button or hit the brakes.
            Yeah it was the "Check Engine" light. I informed them about the Check Panel right when I gave them the car. And since the light goes away when I turn the car off I can't check for codes.
            1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by iso_hi View Post

Yeah it was the "Check Engine" light. I informed them about the Check Panel right when I gave them the car. And since the light goes away when I turn the car off I can't check for codes.
              Strange that it only happens when you go to smog it. And they won't let you cycle the ignition for it to go away?
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

The idle gear may not fail, but it could.
                I think the only reason the cam gear isn't as known about is that (if I remember right) they were phased out way earlier so there are fewer in circulation.

At this point, I'd just run it and if it fails use it as an excuse to swap an 885 i head and intake.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

always happy to see sedan love, looking great.

Comment

Strange that it only happens when you go to smog it. And they won't let you cycle the ignition for it to go away?
                    I didn't ask honestly. They said it would fail so they gave me the chance to back out without paying.

This is the earliest E30 I've owned and I'm not too familiar with what would cause the Check Engine light to turn on other than a vacuum leak. There are a few hoses with some light cracking by the clamp
                    but my idle is pretty solid. I'm going to take it on an extended trip this weekend to get a better idea of what's going on.
                    1987 325 Turbo

Comment

She has cleaned up nicely! Good work!
                      I agree by the way, prices are much higher and there isn’t much selection these days. I’m trying to stay positive that deals are still out there and this is proof.
                      -Nick
                      Originally posted by 87e30
                      First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Some good things and some not so good things have happened since my last post.

On the upside I got 5 basketweave wheels with 4 new tires for $400. On the downside is that the reason for buying new tires is that my Focus ST's transmission got a crack and won't be able to be seen at the dealer until the 21st. So I'll be dailying the E30 for my commute to Fremont for a week. I also replaced the rear shocks with some $25 Monroe's from O'Reillys and the handling was so much better. The bounce was gone.

Aaaaand this is what I see when I walk out to my car as I head to work. I was so annoyed I called out of work. Once I collected myself, I contacted a few people and picked up a replacement window.

Does anyone know how to get a window in there in one piece lol? Any way I try seems too tight. Am I supposed to remove all the seals first? So far I only removed the door panel to clean up the glass.

Another note, I have been driving the E30 all the time recently and haven't had the Check Engine light show up. Once I even got a beer, pulled up at home and just sat there for 10 minutes with the car on. Temp stayed in the middle and no Check Engine light. Frustrating. Glad to be back in the E30 game.
                        1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Nice score! What happened to the window?
                          sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by 808ETA View Post
                            Nice score! What happened to the window?
                            Someone smashed it at like 1pm and my stupid Ring recorded before and after but not the actual event.
                            1987 325 Turbo

Comment

I got the window replaced. It was late model glass so it didn't work with the regulator so for now I made sure it was sealed and disconnected the motor. Here is a pic with the weaves.

I have been using the e30 for my 60 mile commute and it's been performing great. Could use new front struts for sure. Other than that I couldn't expect more from this $1000 car. Also still no sign of a Check Engine light wtf.
                              1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by iso_hi View Post

Someone smashed it at like 1pm and my stupid Ring recorded before and after but not the actual event.
                                That sucks! Looking good with the weaves
                                sigpic84 325e

Comment

Working...
                                X