The Super Nuova...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

But who will be the skinny twig of an Asian woman I can sexually harass while she stands in a bikini in the frigid weather
    Aren't you in CA? Your choices are pretty much endless.

Comment

OK, so BIG Rust update.

When I left off, there was the obvious rust cut out, but there was still the problem of the new and old panels layered on top of each other. I didn't like that and when others told me I should see just how high up it goes I busted out the grinder...and I was both happy and sad about how high up it went . To help you understand what you're seeing in the pic the vertical line is me taking the car to bare metal and just rising until I see the other panel, then the horizontal line is exposing the line where the two panels were welded together

The next few pictures will show why I was happy about how high I had to go.

So obviously more rust to cut out. Luckily I had the larger panel for the corner and I was just barely going to have any fresh metal to 'spare' This was the new area that needed to be repaired.

First set of patch panels ready to weld up.

and now welded in, and welds ground down... sadly a few spots were so thin that I was just burning through

so naturally that means more cuts

with more welding and grinding

Its not pretty, but its solid. Still not totally ready to call it done, but I figured I would call that an episode and an update. Should have the video done later today for those who want to see it all from a different perspective than just pics.

EDIT: Video is done
      In this episode, I finally get down and start welding up the holes left from the rust... and then cut more holes and weld up more holes. Start getting one st...

Once I'm happy with all of this I will move on to the outer panel. That inner panel may just stay open and exposed. Why? I have a few reasons. #1 I have no inner panel to buy and no panel to mirror what it should look like (passenger side is gone too) #2 It will be easier to keep an eye on what's going on up there with the area open and #3 I just want to weld that outer panel on and be done with it haha
      Last edited by 2mAn; 01-25-2022, 12:07 PM.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Looks like great progress
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          Looks like great progress
          Theres been more progress since the last post. Heres a quick update in a few pics.

Fuel tank was removed (probably shouldve done that before I started welding, but still...)

I got lucky and got my hands on this NLA panel, another AlfaBB member managed to find both sides and only used the other one. So lucky!...

But that meant more cutting so now Im repairing an annoying spot on the trunk floor. that exposed itself.. First puzzle piece patch below

I also started the engine build, but I will only share that if you guys care lol
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

What do you take us for? Of course we want engine build content
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

^^^^^^^^
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

thought you guys just wanted to see me suffering with endless rust ...

Ok, start here. This video was the nail in the coffin as I had already experienced a Twin Spark on track as a passenger

Problem is a Twin Spark motor in the US doesnt exist, they are all imported and nearly every single imported one is in a car. I tried to get one from Michigan but the guy wasnt very helpful so I ended up getting one in Italy from an AlfaBB member named Vito. I could've been 'smart' and bought the good, used one that was ready to go, but I decided to buy the core motor with plans to rebuild it. Heres a quick pic

As far as the rebuild goes, I figured it would be better to have the head rebuilt there VS here due to the experienced shops who deal with them. He knew exactly who to ask and that was Virgilio...

Virgilio of Virgilio Motorsport is a retired racer with a shop in Trapani, Italy and he will be doing all the work on the head. Heres a pic of the shop and Vito with him (notice all the trophies behind him!! haha

The head will be getting a full rebuild with streetablility as the main goal, especially since it will be using our lovely 91octane we have here in California. The head will get port work done with that in mind, new valves, valve stem seals, and anything else that it may need in the process. I will be using the Intake camshaft I got from alfar7 on the AlfaBB forum, and its one of his RjR spec camshafts thats also meant as a street- car sport cam.

The plan for the bottom end is to build it here in SoCal using a Spruell kit, 85mm pistons, 10.5:1 CR, stock headgasket. Trying to make it a really good, strong motor thats built for reliability, not all-out power. Injection will be electronically controlled and thats all I will say about it for now.
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  The plan for the bottom end is to build it here in SoCal using a Spruell kit, 85mm pistons, 10.5:1 CR, stock headgasket. Trying to make it a really good, strong motor thats built for reliability, not all-out power. Injection will be electronically controlled and thats all I will say about it for now.
                  EFI, for real? I mean, that's great and all, but it's no vacuum-mechanical box of magic sitting on the side of an Alfa twin cam.

Comment

Dang! Making moves. This build has just gone even more international than just being a foreign car.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

This just got much more interesting...sounds like you have a really good plan and it's smart to build strong rather for some mythical hp number. Cars are much more fun when they run reliably. Nice score on the inner panel BTW, it will now be a proper repair with less worries in the long run.

Comment

Got these pics from Vito. The head is coming along.

I should have the latest video wrapped up soon and some nice updates over the weekend too. Very exciting stuff happening
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Love how old dude is grinding aluminum, has a mask, and isn't wearing it. But I suppose at his age it won't be what kills him.

Also, are those ports cooled, or does that shroud/chamber serve another purpose?

Comment

Episode 12 is done, and hoping that 13 is my lucky number with this corner panel repair...

Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Some more action going on ...

Valves and Valvetrain arrived and going in this week!

Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

I love watching old school guys at work!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X