No announcement yet.

The Super Nuova...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So these are my two main options when it comes to Headers. Centerline here in the US which appear to be a 4-1 versus the British option with much longer primaries. Looks like the Centerline is the torque-centric option versus the “long-tube” / “higher bhp” option.

I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts and experiences are with this. I read a long thread on the AlfaBB from like 10 years ago that seems like everyone was dug into their own products and ideologies. I wonder if time has come to show which piece is suited for what goal and if I’m off from my observation

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Pick out the header per where your cam makes power?

What do many of these cars make with those mods?

I envy the California car scene, maybe one day I’ll see if the price is worth the cost.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Assuming both are using the same diameter piping, the difference in HP on a street car is going to come down to hair splitting.

Super excited you got this. I'm already daydreaming of doing some road trips together.

However, since you said the dirty word "injection" I'm a little hurt! What am I going to do with the two pair of Italian Webers I have? (one set of 40's and another 45's).
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
          I envy the California car scene, maybe one day I’ll see if the price is worth the cost.

a little taste of what I experienced a the Ferrari day today at the Petersen museum. 15 minutes away from my house.

SkiFree The cost to use Weber’s is a bit silly, especially when the Twin Spark motor runs injection so well. Give me a chance to build it all before you judge it.
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

The value of the cars in that picture is higher than all of the houses within a square mile of my house.

Things ARE different in California.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
              The value of the cars in that picture is higher than all of the houses within a square mile of my house.

Things ARE different in California.
              Just rolling next to them in the i3 was an experience... the BEST thing about an EV is my little box was silent and I got to enjoy all the noises in front of me
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Just rolling next to them in the i3 was an experience... the BEST thing about an EV is my little box was silent and I got to enjoy all the noises in front of me
                This'll be us .... just a couple more years, lol.

Comment

Chilezen put out a feeler recently to see if anyone has a car that he could drive temporarily while he sorts out his 24v engine swap. Normally I’m not one to offer my cars, but in this case, Kevan is a welder by trade and well... I offered my car if he could help welding up the panel. I threw the tank back in, zip tied the license plate lights since the rear bumper wasn’t going back on yet and eventually she fired back up.

He took the car on Saturday and yesterday sent me this pic. Worth the trade, though I’m a little disappointed in myself that I couldn’t get it done. He is likely to take care of the outer panel also, but the rockers are going to be my problem

I’m happy
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

DO THE OTHER SIDE c:

You can do it, I believe in you.
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I’ll have my share of work ahead of me when I deal with the rockers
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        I’ll have my share of work ahead of me when I deal with the rockers
                        All this engine work is so cool

I want to hear this in person when that motor goes in
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Wow, I finally got caught up on this project. Also watched the last few videos. Fun! Shame on me for not seeing this earlier.

Welding the panel in wasn't bad at all. In my trade, I don't really deal with rust, but thin sheet metal is typical. Having the machine set correctly, or at least close, is most of the battle, and then a little technique to fill in the gaps (pun intended?). Call it cheating, but the machine we have at work has an auto setting for all thicknesses of metal, and it performed admirably on this thin stuff. I even had several spots where the metal would just evaporate, but I could play around with it and got it all filled in.

You'll see where it's at in person, and then point out anything else before I tackle the outer panel.

On a separate note, I have some notes about the driving position. As someone mentioned earlier, the pedals are a bit close and the wheel a bit far. You and I are different heights, so obviously it suits you better, but I'd love to find a way to adjust the gas pedal. And, there's a huge hump in the floor (for the little resonator/muffler underneath) that props up the heel of my foot, but then the hump slopes down, so the floor is really low (comparatively). I know it's not an option, but I really wanna cut the damn floor out, flatten it, and move the exhaust over! Lol. It would give me more leg room by letting my foot sit lower.
                          Another, more realistic option is to reconfigure the angle of the pedal, so it's at least tilted further forward, giving my foot more space. I suggest this because doing a heel-toe shift is damn near impossible, because the throttle sits so much "further back" when the brake is depressed. I think the E30 pedals are perfect, so that's where I'm coming from. I looked at the hinge, and perhaps the simplest solution is to re-angle the rod coming down, so it sets the tip of the pedal in a better spot, relative to the brake and floor.

The side and rearview mirrors are practically useless and it's loud and the hvac constantly blows cold air and the interior lights don't work and basically you don't want this car back, Simon, it's terrible, I'll just keep it

Currently building a badass coffee table
                          Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post

On a separate note, I have some notes about the driving position. As someone mentioned earlier, the pedals are a bit close and the wheel a bit far. You and I are different heights, so obviously it suits you better, but I'd love to find a way to adjust the gas pedal. And, there's a huge hump in the floor (for the little resonator/muffler underneath) that props up the heel of my foot, but then the hump slopes down, so the floor is really low (comparatively). I know it's not an option, but I really wanna cut the damn floor out, flatten it, and move the exhaust over! Lol. It would give me more leg room by letting my foot sit lower.

Another, more realistic option is to reconfigure the angle of the pedal, so it's at least tilted further forward, giving my foot more space. I suggest this because doing a heel-toe shift is damn near impossible, because the throttle sits so much "further back" when the brake is depressed. I think the E30 pedals are perfect, so that's where I'm coming from. I looked at the hinge, and perhaps the simplest solution is to re-angle the rod coming down, so it sets the tip of the pedal in a better spot, relative to the brake and floor.

The side and rearview mirrors are practically useless and it's loud and the hvac constantly blows cold air and the interior lights don't work and basically you don't want this car back, Simon, it's terrible, I'll just keep it
                            Dialing in the seating position seems to be the piece that will take plenty of fine tuning.

-The Steering wheel is going to be replaced by a Nardi wheel with a slight dish and an added 1/2" spacer between the wheel and the hub. Im hoping that will bring the wheel close enough when everything else is suited properly.
                            -The Shifter will be addressed with the remote shifter I have. The test fit was both an uplifting and disheartening moment. The car loses a bit of its Alfa character, but having the shifter right where you want it... thats the best. Alfaholics has a solution, but its not a cheap one so that will have to be something to consider later in life.
                            -The pedals... Well, I hadn't gotten this deep into the position yet, I just couldnt enjoy the drive with an extreme bend of my knees so that was the first thing I wanted to deal with. However moving the seating position back reveled all the other nuances to deal with.

We can discuss an idea I have for the pedal that may be a quick & easy solution you can try out when you're bored haha.

Driver mirror works as a blind spot mirror and thats about it. Pass side is useless and the interior mirror has a broken piece rendering it useless as well... its an Italian car, whats behind you is not y our problem lol
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Got an update from my Kevan last night. This is the short version (with my notes in parentheses) :

-Center console is back in.

-Fan works in 1 position of the switch (though I dont think these have multiple speeds, right?)

-Dash lights work, wipers work (they did prior, so this was expected)

-Couldnt figure out how to secure the console to the floor (to be fair there was only one screw prior)

-Messed around with the interior lights and they work now. New bulbs, cleaned the switches and door pins for better actuation.

I think overall this is just more evidence of a fairly un-molested Giulia. This makes me pretty happy as my Datsun was basically a motor and a seat, whereas this is a legit older car. I'm sure there will be a welded panel quite soon, but Im not bugging him at all. My life is pretty busy right now, so Im happy with any update that is remotely positive.
                              Last edited by 2mAn; 03-09-2022, 03:49 PM.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Kevan sent me a text in the middle of the day yesterday stating he planned to stay late at work and if I wanted to come work on my car we’d have a few hours. This sounded great other than the drive across Los Angeles on a Friday afternoon. Anyways, later that night I arrived to see my car and see what we could get done.

Step one was to plug the last pinhole and coating the area in some undercoating. I didn’t go overboard, just covered any areas that may have potential for future rust.

Then the real fun began with the trimming and fitting of the panel over and over until it was as good as it would get.

And then... burn it on.Kevan started the tacks to get it fitted, then I did like 100 tacks after that.

And then!

Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X