'94 E34 Touring slicktop, a project car destined for daily status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'94 E34 Touring slicktop, a project car destined for daily status

Finding this car was a journey of its own. I wound up having to search nationwide and buying a car with only an inspection from a family friend to go on. It was pretty cheap, and checked enough of the boxes for me to pull the trigger, and here it is.

1994 E34 525i
    264,000mi
    automatic
    black interior (swapped by a PO)
    stock aside from the uncapped style 35s. They look better in person.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E34_side_june21.jpg Views:	5 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	10023470
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E34_frontleft_june21.jpg Views:	4 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	10023471
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E34_frontright_june21.jpg Views:	4 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	10023472
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E34_rearleaft_june21.jpg Views:	4 Size:	71.9 KB ID:	10023473

It's a decent 15' car that runs well with no infernal double sunroof, and most importantly, minimal surface rust in chipped areas. I'm going to prioritize getting it to the point where I'm happy to DD it; then manual swap it and add copious boost. By the time I'm done, the plan is to have a nice looking, practical, comfortable and fast daily driver which will eat up the highway miles of my commute and haul my RC planes. And the mail.

I already have the ZF 5 speed and manual pedals, now I'm looking for the rest of the swap parts;
    • transmission crossmember
    • appropriate driveshaft (the rare ZF E34 one)
    • lines
    • 2.93 LSD (because BMW decided overdrive 5th gears were so 1980s when they drew up the specs for post E30 transmissions)
    I'm also looking for an M52B28 to rebuild, and some wide wheels, because it's going to need them. Style 32, 37, 18, 16, 21, all are available in 9" width or greater, but only some are reasonably priced. Then there's ARC-8s and Beyern Aviatics. All are on the table.
    Last edited by varg; 07-03-2021, 06:33 PM.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20B25 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop

Reserved for future use

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20B25 turbo
    '94 525iT slicktop

Comment

You probably got lucky there, decent paint, no roof leaks, and much maligned, but actually quite nice looking (on E36s at least, didn't know they fit E34s) style 35s. Do you not like style 20s, or are they just unnecessarily expensive? Two piece 42s would also be a neat look IMO.

Comment

What does it need to be DD ready?
        Simon
        Current Car:
        -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
        -1975 Alfa Romeo Giulia Nuova Super 1300, the never-ending name & project

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Good find! I’ve had two manual E34 Tourings, one of which I daily’d for a while. One had Style 37s, the other Style 67s.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Both swapped or were they actually available from the factory with a 5 speed in the US?

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            You probably got lucky there, decent paint, no roof leaks, and much maligned, but actually quite nice looking (on E36s at least, didn't know they fit E34s) style 35s. Do you not like style 20s, or are they just unnecessarily expensive? Two piece 42s would also be a neat look IMO.
            It will need paint eventually, I built that into the budget. The clear coat has failed on part of the D pillar and quarter panel, it also has some scratches, chips, and dents. Being white, it doesn't stick out but it's there. I've never seen style 20s for sale, let alone 9" width style 20s, so I'm not even sure if they're expensive. As for style 42s, I prefer one piece wheels.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            What does it need to be DD ready?
            AC repair, a windshield washer tank grommet, a spare wheel and tire, detailing, tint, a stereo.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20B25 turbo
            '94 525iT slicktop

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              It will need paint eventually, I built that into the budget. The clear coat has failed on part of the D pillar and quarter panel, it also has some scratches, chips, and dents. Being white, it doesn't stick out but it's there. I've never seen style 20s for sale, let alone 9" width style 20s, so I'm not even sure if they're expensive. As for style 42s, I prefer one piece wheels.
              Well, 20s were probably a Euro only thing and I also think that 42s could be found in one piece, maybe on some 7 series.

Comment

Working...
              X