Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wide Body Street car/Time attack build

The backstory cause I think it is cool! Skip this bit if you don't care lol

As a full-time car photographer and filmmaker, I'm around really prime examples of tons of different cars on a day-to-day basis. But we all have to start somewhere, and my "breakthrough" moment/realization that this is what I want to pursue as a career was shooting my friend's early model E30. So since then (2016 I think) I've been obsessed with these things. Skip forward a year or so and I see a nardo grey widebody E30 on Google and immediately had that "I have to have that" thought and always kept it in the back of my head as a fun unobtainable goal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	53538490510_453e93e269_b.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	10114921 (current state 2/18/24)

For a while, I dug and dug online to find where the body kit came from, If it was a one-off thing, or any other info I could find and I couldn't find a single thing of much value other than the fact that it was made in Sweden.

Fast forward to 2020: I was working from home, got bored of my VW GTI, so I sold it and was planning to daily my Grand Wagoneer that gets 7mpg... But thanks to FB Market place and positive equity on the GTI, not even 12 hours after I sold the car I was test-driving an E30 that had been posted for about 4 hours and then ultimately buying it the next day...

This is how it looked when I picked it up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3093.JPG Views:	1027 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	10037150

Modest mods: Bilstein shocks/H&R springs, sway bars, cat-back, split-second fuel curve tuner (terrible creation), Corbeau seats, z3 rack, 4:10 lsd, skid plate, completely disintegrated aftermarket subframe bushings, and probably a few little things I'm forgetting.

The story from what I'm able to put together was that the owner prior to the guy I bought it from whored it out as an autocross car, which is all fine, but corners were cut in some areas and it made problem-solving the little kinks a little frustrating. On my youtube, I posted some of the fun I had with the rear end of the car due to it not even having subframe bushings in the slightest bit...

Skip forward a couple of months, I finally got sick of looking at black wheels and threw on some Konig Hexaforms in a 17x8 and some Yellowspeed racing true coilovers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4008.JPG Views:	804 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	10037151
    Click image for larger version  Name:	e30%20konig copy.jpg Views:	817 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	10037152

At this point in the "build", the car was a blast to drive. I put on a Renown steering wheel and a cheap chassis mount shifter along with Condorspeed engine and transmission mounts and I was obsessed with how connected the car felt. After daily driving it from about July to November it started doing some weird fuel cut stuff to where it would face plant at about 5000 rpm, it got super annoying so I went through the fuel pump wiring, relays, fuses, pumps, everything I could think to change or check, i did. It kinda seemed to sort itself out for a while and then all of a sudden the car turned into a paperweight.

I thought the motor was just toast, so impulsively I sourced an M50 swap that turned out to also be a paperweight... I ran lots of other swap ideas through my head but all were very out of the box and way too expensive at the moment and the car just needs to be driven. So I went back to the M20 and went ahead and tried to just get the head rebuilt, and throw on a new head gasket and ARP head studs and it came back to life as nothing had ever happened.
    But at this point, I had sold the wheels and suspension to a friend... so it was still useless...

My plan of what I wanted to do with the car changed several times over the months, but finally decided I wanted it to be a very capable, driver-oriented, time attack-styled build. Who knows whether it will ever see a track or not but that's beside the point... I started researching how I could fabricate a metal widebody, and how to mold fiberglass and carbon fiber and all sorts of different ways to achieve that goal. The car was still sitting on jack stands and I didn't really have a clue what i was doing, but that was all for the better anyway.

I was on Instagram scrolling through my feed and I saw that a Drift team of two brothers called 50 States of Drift had the body kit I had wanted for so long on their car. I had no clue any of them had even made it stateside before.
    SIDE NOTE: at this point, I had found who makes it and where, and it was so expensive to ship to Texas on top of the price of the kit itselt, I could've bought another really nice E30...

A couple of weeks go by and I saw that they had a spare set that they had just kept as a spare that they wanted to get rid of. So immediately I dove on the opportunity and did everything my power to make it happen. And a couple weeks later...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1978 copy.jpg Views:	72 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	10037155

and then the car sat for even longer... Ill end the backstory here, the "cool" stuff will be in the next post!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by meltingmanmedia; 02-22-2024, 04:27 PM.

In the previous post the body kit showed up, and the car was still sitting suspension-less.

Starting from scratch and going 5 lug, I decided to have Broadway Suspension build me some custom V2 coilovers to make up for the fact that the body kit has a much larger and 6" higher (in the rear) radius. They took about 3 months to show up, but were well worth the wait.

Name:	IMG_5722 2 copy.jpg
Views:	2002
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	10037156

The car will be all 6 cylinder Z3 suspension and brakes, including trailing arms and all that good stuff for the added offset. Im going to run an 18x11 Enkei RS05rr in the rear and 18x9.5 up front, but even that doesn't even get close to filling out these flares. Its kinda hard to tell just how wide it makes the car.

As of this past weekend, I finally got the car into a shop space to work on it over the winter and also fitted one side of the kit with Cleco clamps just to give an actual idea of what its going to look like without using tape to hold it up to the car.

Name:	5CD79991-37A3-4908-9430-AA6EA0458973.JPG
Views:	1989
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	10037157 Click image for larger version

Name:	47E72E81-1ED9-4241-8E36-885035182056.JPG
Views:	2007
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	10037158 Click image for larger version

Name:	5942F148-2B3F-44E7-BA5B-B5C00C727E59.JPG
Views:	2014
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	10037159 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8575 copy.jpg
Views:	2054
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	10037160

The front in these photos has already been swapped over to 5 lug, still waiting on my rear-end stuff to come in.
    But as you can see it's really freakin wide.... the rear is going to be fun...

Ill have some more updates soon when I have a chance to go work on it some more!
    Last edited by meltingmanmedia; 11-17-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

welcome :)
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

welcome :)
        Noob move, fixed it though! Thanks!

Comment

Oh boy! This is going to be a fun project. Dont give up on it!!
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I can't say that I've seen that kit before, but I like that it will make larger wheels look more appropriate on the car.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              I can't say that I've seen that kit before, but I like that it will make larger wheels look more appropriate on the car.
              Thats my favorite thing about it, there is only 8 or so in existence, made to order and nobody knows where to get it from lol. But yes, the fact that it makes up for it being such a small car with 18s is pretty cool. Definitely looks pretty aggressive!

Comment

kinda wild to be cramming these things under an E30. Super affordable sticky tires. My boss is a pro FD driver and runs these on his S13 that's a good enough quality test for me lol

Accelera 651 Sport 200 tread wear

Name:	IMG_8662.JPG
Views:	1927
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	10037174

Comment

Subbed, this is gonna be a great build!

Comment

In for Time Attack build but not for “Time Attack” build

Going to need some power, brakes, and suspension to back that tire package up ;).

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                      In for Time Attack build but not for “Time Attack” build

Going to need some power, brakes, and suspension to back that tire package up ;).
                      For sure! All in the works, just want to see it move under its own power before I throw more at it haha. Until I figure out what motor i want to swap into it, im planning to possibly run the KAmotors V3 kit or something until it gets boring. Who knows, lots to do before then though

Comment

will be great seeing this come together.

Comment

I'm bored at work and trying to decide on a temporary set of wheels. The very small financially smart side of my brain says to "go with the cheaper option" and the other larger portion of my brain says "spend more money on something that you're only using until 3 piece wheels are in the budget"

Since its kinda my area of expertise I threw some "renderings" together to get an idea:

Name:	THE E30 RENDER copy2 copy.jpg
Views:	1885
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	10037735 Click image for larger version

Name:	THE E30 RENDER copy3 copy.jpg
Views:	1936
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	10037736

I've always wanted to run the more expensive, second option on a car as a functional setup, but you can't go wrong with the RPF1, as overplayed as they may be. Both are great options but differ significantly price-wise even at dealer cost... But neither wheel is as aggressive of an offset as I would like. Hence the temporary thing...

Still waiting on my Z3 rear-end parts to show up but should still be able to get a good amount of stuff done to the car having a long weekend this week!
                          Attached Files

Comment

big fan of the style 32s (or similar)
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Got a few hours to get a few things done between Thanksgiving activities.

I had to push the car out and resituate it a little further from the wall and clean my workspace up a bit. Then measured the car to fit passenger-side fenders to the car with the exact same placement as the driver's side. Measure 10000 times, cut once. Also pulled the bumper out of storage to figure out where that needs to be cut as well.

Name:	IMG_8867 copy.jpg
Views:	1838
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	10038163

lining the kit up took a lot longer than I expected it to, but once it was good I went to drilling and clamping.

Name:	IMG_8872 copy.jpg
Views:	1838
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	10038164
                              as you can see... it's pretty damn wide lol.

The car is on jack stands now so I can drop the suspension again and do all that good stuff, but since I took a couple of the new tires with me I had to see how they looked underneath and compare them to a factory-sized tire. It looks a little goofy without the fenders cut to allow the tires to sit where they need to be, but I like to visualize and see it all coming together! Im going to try to upload another video about it to my youtube channel this week, ill be sure to link it when its done!

Name:	LRG_DSC08136 copy.jpg
Views:	1823
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	10038165 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8874 copy.jpg
Views:	1846
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	10038166
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...