Project Unicorn - The Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

It is pretty full. I had forgotten about the pump o-ring. I think tourings still have the access panel like most, but I've not checked since owning this. Another area to check and probably just replace to for sure. Thank you.
    I'm sure there is an access panel. I just don't know how to pull up the carpet to get to it.

Comment

Beautiful touring, the colour really makes it! Following for updates.

How is the rust situation under the car? Reason I ask is that my EVAP line to the charcoal canister was rusted through. This was my main source of fuel smell when parked inside. It was still available new and pre-bent from BMW in 2018.

FWIW I changed all the hardlines and soft lines, and haven't smelt fuel since. Still using the original EVAP canister and purge valve with my M52 swap and standalone ECU.

Comment

Thanks for the idea Panici, the car is rust free and very clean underneath.
        I've searched high and low but still haven't found the source - going to hopefully get the carpet up and check the top of the fuel tank this weekend.

=================================

Maintenance parts have been slowly arriving for fuel lines, fuel filter, etc.
        I don't want to put to much money towards the M40b18 since I'd love it gone sooner rather than later...
        ... but figured I should erase the possibility that any of the rubber fuel injector o-rings or lines are the cause in the engine bay or elsewhere.

I should be receiving more replacement parts by Friday, so I'm hoping I can find some time this weekend to search more for the leak and replace anything it could be.

But what's this? Extra struts?

And other stuff has arrived. Full Airlift 3P setup for E30s. Spare struts above are already being cut and airlift struts welded on.

Tank and compressors arrive tomorrow. Hoping to fit it all in the spare tire well to not lose the practicality of this being a touring and all.

Would love to get all of the suspension parts powder-coated and freshened up before they go on the car.

Still need to get new hubs/bearings and trying to decide what else will happen at the same time... buggbrakes? no buggbrakes?

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 08-03-2022, 09:03 AM.
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Ooo excited to see the airlift stuff go on!
          Always thought air suspension would be a good match to a touring.

Comment

Sub'd love the Touring!
            Current Builds
            1989 S52 E30 Touring | The Grey Athletic Shoe
            1993 Toyota Landcruiser | The Trail Snail

Comment

Figured I'd post a few in this thread.

I didn't update this main thread, but I did add a link in the first post:

The car is receiving an N52 and 6 speed manual, along with a ton of random updates along the way, and after it's running right.

I wouldn't be doing this swap if I didn't have help from some people making this possible, but I'm very excited to get it running.

Air ride setup has taken a back seat until the car moves under it's own power. Front struts are welded and done.

I've bought and sold some items to offset swap costs.

Also decided to let go of my gorgeous BBS RS's from Paul at EWW to offset swap costs a little bit more.

Still have the euroweaves that are on it and a spicy set of JDM wheels for this thing I'll rotate. Trying to not slip into wheel whoring tendencies.

====================================​

N52 Engine Swap Thread:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...at-have-i-done

Headers are done, and at ceramic coating.

Oil pan is nearly done from fabrication.

Still constantly ordering parts.

====================================

Progress has been happening, not as quickly as I was hoping, but life happens. Lots of other things made E30 lower priority from time to time.

Since summer is here, I've moved things around to get the E30 in the garage, and made everything fit so a temporary workspace can happen as necessary.

We almost bought a house with a 3 car garage with 10 foot ceilings... but the market here is nuts along with rates. Cheaper bills are a good thing for the next few years. Making do.

I'm really trying to document the swap and make it easy for myself when I forget what goes where down the line, so I got these labels off of amazon, a white pack, and a multi-color pack, they say they are automotive grade, we shall see.

I'm actually starting to understand the many different harnesses and modules which is neat.

Helper, helping. She gets bored pretty quickly when she realizes the car isn't taking her somewhere, but that's ok.

====================================

More N52 focused updates will happen in that thread:

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 05-17-2023, 10:11 AM.
              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Working...
              X